Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #481
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Or a kid, who might one day grow up to be an engineer!

Hope this will work for you. One of the problems with these new products with their built in batteries is that you can't (easily) remove the battery when it gets soaked. Often, the real damage isn't from the water - it's from the electrolytic action of the battery voltage and the water. That action eats away at the copper traces on the PCB and other metals, creating permanent damage.

For products with a removable battery, the first step after a soak is always remove the battery, and then try to get it dried out.

-ERD50
Thanks, but once you have the back cover off the Iphone, the battery is very easily removable.

The real issue is the water residue that got on the main board and connections, which is a bit more complicated to remove and clean. The battery is to replace a three year old one that is in the 4S DW is using. The phone was bought by me and the granddaughter used it until we got her a 5 model.

I'll be using DeOxit to clean the contacts, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cl.../dp/B0002BBV4G
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #482
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is wood cutting season for me. I've been cutting up trees and branches that fell on my lower property. I have 5 chains for my chainsaw and have always cycled them - bringing the dull chains in to a local shop and paying $7 each to have them sharpened. I watched a couple youtube demos on how to sharpen a saw blade - went and bought a 3/16 round file and started sharpening myself. It takes about 10 minutes to do a blade, and the results have been great! One less expense and hassle - the file cost $4
Old 10-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #483
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
It is wood cutting season for me. I've been cutting up trees and branches that fell on my lower property. I have 5 chains for my chainsaw and have always cycled them - bringing the dull chains in to a local shop and paying $7 each to have them sharpened. I watched a couple youtube demos on how to sharpen a saw blade - went and bought a 3/16 round file and started sharpening myself. It takes about 10 minutes to do a blade, and the results have been great! One less expense and hassle - the file cost $4
Once you get by any hardened material on the tooth from grinding, it gets even better. I used to supervise 4 men running saws on a yard. They weren't experts, or even close. We had a filer that would grind them for us, did as good as I've ever seen with a grinder. When he left on vacation it was a disaster, his replacement would harden the teeth so badly they wouldn't cut for nothing.

The other great thing is DIY makes you more careful of 'stoning' the chain.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #484
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Engineers have an innate curiosity to want to know how things work. It came to my surprise that many people just didn't care. They would say "Whatever", or "I do not need to know", or "It's beyond me", etc...

Oh, but these people know how to draw, paint, play music, decorate, etc... so much better than I can. I don't get it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #485
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Engineers have an innate curiosity to want to know how things work. It came to my surprise that many people just didn't care. They would say "Whatever", or "I do not need to know", or "It's beyond me", etc...

Oh, but these people know how to draw, paint, play music, decorate, etc... so much better than I can. I don't get it.
Funny how that is. I am a pretty good engineer and mechanic (those two don't always go together). But I am terrible with colors. My DW has to set out color matched clothes for me or I just stand in the closet dumbfounded.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #486
Give me a forum ...

I think I am a good engineer (or at least my employers thought so and paid me accordingly), a middling mechanic (but a poor plumber), and I know a lot more mathematics than many math majors.

But my artistic skills are zero. Or my athletic abilities. I have never been on a skateboard, or skis. I was on skates once, fell on my butt and swore never again. I could not catch a ball if thrown to me.

But I could chew gums or smoke while walking, swim, and ride a bike. I think that's enough, no?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #487

Quote:
I didn't grow up to be an engineer but I did get yelled at for taking apart the vacuum cleaner when I was about 8. It would have been okay if I'd been able to get it back together....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Funny how that is. I am a pretty good engineer and mechanic (those two don't always go together). But I am terrible with colors. My DW has to set out color matched clothes for me or I just stand in the closet dumbfounded.
It's even worse here, neither one of us is good with colors, but at least she is is a bit better than me. It's a clue when she says "You're wearing THAT?"

"Well, I was but I guess not."
Old 10-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #488
Give me a forum ...

When I was 14 or 15, one summer day, without anything to do, I cut apart a broken refrigerator compressor to see its innards.

It was done with a regular hacksaw, and took me an hour or two. I can still picture the motor and the little piston inside, and its oil bath for lubrication. Nowadays, a search on the Web would have satisfied the curiosity with much less work.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #489
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Then initiated manual defrost several times and a heat gun assist, got the ice out.
Heat gun! I didn't think of that.

The ice maker in my fridge is currently not working. It just stopped making ice. I'm thinking that there might be a clog in the supply lines, and was planning on defrosting the freezer next time I have some extra time. That heat gun might help a lot with that.

Unless anyone else has a better idea.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #490
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about your heat gun, but my heat gun can easily melt plastic or set things on fire. A hair dryer would be safer. The wattage is the same with both, but a hair dryer blows more volume of air, hence has a lower output temperature, and is not meant to burn.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't know about your heat gun, but my heat gun can easily melt plastic or set things on fire. A hair dryer would be safer. The wattage is the same with both, but a hair dryer blows more volume of air, hence has a lower output temperature, and is not meant to burn.
By all means! The plastics in refrigerators/freezers are made to be somewhat flexible at those temperatures so they're not quite so brittle, but that means they melt at much lower temperatures than "everyday use" plastics.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #492
Give me a forum ...

My heatgun has high and low settings and each can be further controlled by a pot from barely warm to melting solder if needed.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #493
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post

The ice maker in my fridge is currently not working. It just stopped making ice. I'm thinking that there might be a clog in the supply lines, and was planning on defrosting the freezer next time I have some extra time. That heat gun might help a lot with that.

Caution with a heat gun and melting water! At the minimum, I'd make sure it was plugged into a GFI circuit that I just tested.

I've used pots of boiling water. Stick 'em in and close the door. Gotta be careful carrying pots of boiling water as well.

-ERD50
Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #494
Give me a forum ...

Should we warn this poster of the danger of running with scissors too?

Oh, he's she's not using scissors. Never mind.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post

A cheap hairdryer works good for that and lots of other low temp jobs.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #496

I recently defrosted my ice chest freezer. I emptied and put a small electric heater on the bottom of the chest on top of a plastic milk crate(to keep it dry). Propped the lid open about an inch top let heat out - slowly - worked great
Humidity is pretty low here in NorCal - need to defrost about every 3 years...now that my son is off at college maybe every 5 years. That kid would be in there 10 times a day looking for food to nuke
Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #497
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not having a the fridge repairman's special cleaning nozzle with offset end intake. I ran 40 feet of air hose from the compressor in the garage and said to DW, kitchen will need cleaning after this.
Please do post the video....

Latest repair was; my shop air compressor. When the old compressor pump croaked I dissected it and realizing the cause and effect issues were terminal, I sourced a replacement pump from Harbor Freight. Install was somewhat complicated as it was not an exact match, so drilling & tapping mounting holes, obtaining new sheave for motor, calculating length of belt needed, bending tubing to replumb compressor to tank and pressure switch, etc.

All in all a fun project, cuz it's not "work*" anymore, just playing with my toys.

(* work was really, really big compressors squeezing the heck out of stuff that was really, really bad for your health if it leaked out)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-09-17_16-11-26_120.jpg (535.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-10-14_14-00-07_224.jpg (579.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #498
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Caution with a heat gun and melting water! At the minimum, I'd make sure it was plugged into a GFI circuit that I just tested.

I've used pots of boiling water. Stick 'em in and close the door. Gotta be careful carrying pots of boiling water as well.

-ERD50
How do you melt water
Just kidding.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #499
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
How do you melt water
Just kidding.
Nice catch!

First you freeze it...
Old 10-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #500
Moderator Emeritus

I repair my garage mounted flagpole bracket after every major storm. The bracket bends very easily during the storm, so I bend it back afterward so that my flag is the proper angle to the wall - not 90° to the wall as in after the storm. But I'm now doing a major upgrade. Just ordered a 20' flagpole and dug a 3' deep x 18" diameter hole for a concrete base. I'll mount the flagpole in concrete and run electric for lighting when it gets here.
Closed Thread