Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just put a deposit on a travel trailer. 8 months, 25 days to go. But who's counting........ ME!!!
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #102

A few hobbies but the most expensive one is gardening. Just arranging to put up some fence in my never ending battle with the evil deer nation. Last summer got a Kubota BX-25. Go big or go home!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I was planning on getting back into Falconry and Pigeon Racing after FIRE. But it limits the amount of time I can be away.

Both are great sports, and not as many people in them. Hunting with a raptor is one of the best types of hunting there is.

Or seeing your racing pigeon set it's wings as it comes home after a 600+ mile race, on the same day, is a great feeling.
My friends are active in Pigeon Racing out of Roseville. They've actually done quite well...to me I would consider there mode of operation a business as they always try to make money, not lose money.

They recently took up horse racing and board 3 horses right now at Canterbury.

The pigeons are fascinating...I would laugh when we dropped them off at the post office for shipping...I had NO idea you could ship a live pigeon via USPS.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
....The pigeons are fascinating...I would laugh when we dropped them off at the post office for shipping...I had NO idea you could ship a live pigeon via USPS.
But... is it live when it is delivered?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #105

Right now I am restoring an old E.H. Scott radio I've had since I was 13 years old. It hasn't been turned on in about 20 years and before I use it again I am replacing the capacitors. Also waiting for better weather so I can get back to astrophotography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AW23 CGS Inside.jpg (469.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg AW23 CGS Front.jpg (512.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20140826_221820.jpg (490.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Right now I am restoring an old E.H. Scott radio I've had since I was 13 years old. It hasn't been turned on in about 20 years and before I use it again I am replacing the capacitors.
Heh. I just finished the electronics restoration of a Heathkit SB-301 receiver that was new when I was 13.

Attachment 23578
Real radios glow in the dark!

Now I'm working on the companion SB-401 transmitter, which is a bit of a basket case. Some of the capacitors were dead shorts, so applying power before I do the first round of repairs and tests would have been a bit destructive.

It more or less keeps me out of trouble. (Less, recently...)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #107

There is nothing quite like the warm glow of radio tubes. I was gratified about a month ago when my 18-year-old daughter took a keen interest in her great grandfather's old Stromberg-Carlson radio and asked if she could have it one day. I used to have it beside my bed as a kid to listen to hockey, baseball and above all else, the CBS Radio Mystery Show. Still works fine.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our primary toy is our RV - the second one we've owned, with more to follow in the future I'm sure. We so enjoy life on the road.

Hobbies - lots. Road bikes, hiking shoes, running shoes, dancing shoes, yoga mats, tennis rackets, camera equipment, backpacking equipment, and lots of foreign language dictionaries. They all get utilized regularly, though which exactly are being prioritized does change.

We are actually somewhat cautious about taking up new hobbies in light of the time and expense that is required to do so. As much as we love to kayak and scuba dive, for example, we don't do either on a regular enough basis to justify making a capital expenditure on equipment. The old 'money vs life energy' trade off, if you will.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
There is nothing quite like the warm glow of radio tubes.
And all the other extremely reliable old gear.

When I was really active as a ham, I became fascinated by RTTY (radioteletype).

Back in those days, companies were dumping all their old RTTY gear in favor of the newfangled fax machines, and literally giving them free to amateurs just to get them out of the building.

I got a tremendous amount of use out of my big ASR-35 (although I'm slightly ashamed to admit how many RTTY "pictures" it sent and received). But my favorite was the cute little "portable" Kleinschmidt machine.

Both are long gone now (given to other hams when I was transferred overseas), but fondly remembered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Teletype ASR-35.jpg (461.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg klein.jpg (302.5 KB, 27 views)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #110

I would love to own a plane, but I calculated that the initial outlay would pay for over 300 hours of rental aircraft.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

My main hoppy is landscape photography. After a trip, I Photoshop and my wife and I create a coffee table book. For example, this is Franchere Mountain in Alberta, Canada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f Franchere Mountain.jpg (814.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I would love to own a plane, but I calculated that the initial outlay would pay for over 300 hours of rental aircraft.
Well, then you simply have to arrange your flying schedule so that you fly more than 300 hours/year. Then the numbers justify ownership.

BTDT - in the mid 1970's I owned a Piper TriPacer, breakeven then was ~100 hours/year and and in two years I flew it ~300 hours. So that can be hard to do.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
A few hobbies but the most expensive one is gardening. Just arranging to put up some fence in my never ending battle with the evil deer nation. Last summer got a Kubota BX-25. Go big or go home!
Big, but old. 1965 2.5 ton dump truck, old Ford 3000 tractor with a front end loader, 1992 Ford F250 pickup with and extra heavy weight package and Myer plow. Toys just for fun - 2004 Audi TT, a whole bunch of wood working equipment. I guess I better include the chain saw.

I've been building my house so long, I think I'll have to classify it as a hobby.

On my list: a fast side-by-side ATV (or two), a new pickup and slide-in camper.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

We have a lake house on the Tennessee River and a fifth wheel trailer (RV) in the No. GA Mountains. I'm into fast boats and have a Waverunner. We also have a couple of ATV's and a Jaguar convertible to play with.

We travel too much in Spring & Fall. Otherwise, never leave town.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #115

I spend lots of time gardening. Next hobby is quilting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #116

Quote:
Right now I am restoring an old E.H. Scott radio I've had since I was 13 years old. It hasn't been turned on in about 20 years and before I use it again I am replacing the capacitors. Also waiting for better weather so I can get back to astrophotography.
I used to have one of those but in the 1960s the wiring began to loose insulaton, so that I did not feel it safe to turn it on, (It was bought by my great uncle in the 1930) In particular the wires that went to the caps on some of the tubes lost a lot of insulation. So since I was still living at home in Mi, it was trashed in the early 1970s (my parents moved to Tx in the 1980s so it would not have moved to Tx in any case).
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone interested in old electronics might also like this thread/forum I stumbled upon.

https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...gs-etc.755959/

I swear, in a couple of those pictures I could actually smell the odors the hot tubes, solder flux and oiled wood give off.

Around page 6-7, he starts firing up on old 1900's era X-Ray tube (and he takes precautions)! Ever see a picture of the early X-Ray diagnosticians? After about 5 years of 'calibrating' the output of the system by placing their hands in front and adjusting to see their bones, a large % of them had their hands amputated!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Build one.

check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Build one.

It takes quite a while to build one, and at my age I do not even buy green bananas
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #120
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
My main hoppy is landscape photography. After a trip, I Photoshop and my wife and I create a coffee table book. For example, this is Franchere Mountain in Alberta, Canada.
Beautiful shot! I have a similar mirroring one from Maroon Bells in CO.
samsterdog is offline   Reply With Quote