Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Never reached the FICA limit, not even close. You made a lotta dough baby!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not sure that revealing our incomes would tell much of a story, without also relating whether we've had other sources of income, such as inheritances, and pensions, to name a couple. I had a modest inheritance, and a fairly significant boost to the portfolio from selling 3 rental properties which I had the good fortune to own for 2 years, in a sharply rising market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
You first.
Agreed. To get something, you gotta give something. Well, maybe not around here but it's good form, in my opinion.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm not sure that revealing our incomes would tell much of a story, without also relating whether we've had other sources of income, such as inheritances, and pensions, to name a couple.
No pension here. I have not gotten any inheritance and will not get more than low to mid 5-figures.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #24

Between 2 of us, $750K while in megacorp. Started our own company in a different field, lost huge money for the first couple of years, broke even year 3 to 4, ended with about $450K in year 8 before we sold our company.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

For the last 20 years I worked, I ran my own business and earnings were all over the map, depending on business. But it was pretty good most of that time.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My total wage earnings in my 23-year career, from mid-1985 through the end of 2008, were just over $1.1M. My average annual wages were just over $47k. My highest wage year was in 2000, my last year working full-time. I earned just under $78k. In 2001, I reduced my weekly hours worked so my pay got cut by nearly 1/2. In 2007, I did that again, reducing my pay another 21% (of the original FT pay).

But the value of the company stock I owned from 1997-2008 went from 5% of my annual pay in 1997 to nearly 10 times my annual pay in 2008, when I retired. Some of that was due to my declining pay, but most of it was due to the exploding value of the company stock.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Average - $75k (during FT working career, not incl. PT years)
Median - $64k (during FT working career, not incl. PT years)
Exceeded FICA limit - 15 times
Total lifetime wages to date ~ $1.8m (still have PT gig)
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I've been pondering my SS estimate and this is helpful for me. I hit the FICA limit 20 of my 29 years at Megacorp.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Started in 1979 at 25 grand. Finished up 2014 at 85 grand. Pretty linear, with a few bumps.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
was just now looking at my income annually from MYSSA. Some years allot, some years not. How do u average that income and for how many years? Maybe hi or low would be interesting.
Add the total amount for each year divide by the years.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Over 40 years of working, it is difficult to look at yearly average income without adjusting for inflation.

And I agree with a poll. Not too comfortable posting my personal numbers for all to see.
Inflation doesn’t matter. It’s the average of what you earned divided by the total years in the F.I.R.E journey. We are all anonymous here.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
If you made a million a year and spent 900K you'd still be working.

This seems like a question without a point to it..
The point is to get average salary.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Yeah. The better question is are you an UAW, a AAW or a PAW. See The Millionaire Next Door for the references.

I suspect most here are PAW's.
The calculator?
Old 10-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I pursued FIRE for ~45 years.... Started out at under <10k yr, ended up at well over 25 times that amount per yr. I guess I could figure out each yr and avg it... But not sure I see the point. Probably made more the last 5 years than I did on the entire 40 before that.
What was the average?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
You're my BTD hero.
What’s that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I topped out at $49K. Average is under $30K/yr and falling. Good thing I only spend half that much.
How many years to F.I.R.E?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
honestly my last few years I couldn't even tell you. It really didn't matter, so much was getting socked away I only really knew the actual number at review/annual raise time. That's when my boss would print out the new numbers. But I was living like someone making less than half so it never really registered.

And the last 5 years were very different from the 5 before that, and the five before those. OP, you might want to make a poll, but without a tight framing it's not going to tell you anything. And a person who retired in 2020 can't be compared side by side with a person who retired in 2010, or even 2015 really.

(plus what state/country, COL, yada and more yada...)
Poll next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Started in 1974, escalated up to 60 hr weeks through the late 80’s, 90’s and early 00’s, then retired in 2014 after a few years of 16 hour weeks. I was an hourly worker, so my income was erratic and dependent on hrs worked. Just a rough guess - I’d say my yearly wages averaged 60-70k for 40 years.
How many did it take you to F.I.R.E?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Thanks!

Yup, never got to 100 grand. Even when we were both working we never made a 100 grand. Close, but no cigar.

Nah, we did the LBYM thing when we were working so we could retire. Then wifey died at age 60 so...

I'm gonna try to have some fun with that dough before I go -
Sucks to have a loved one pass away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
yup! 29 years pursuing FIRE.

Then achieved it but called myself semi-retired for the next 18 years. Those gigs topped out at about $10K, which wasn't bad for a three months of work each year.

Now finally have on W2s
Lean F.I.R.E?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
So many ways to look at this. Our average income over 36 years was $49,102. We started the journey in 1982, I made $14,400 and she made $6,200, that's $20,600. However $20,600 inflation adjusted is $54,147 in 2018.
I used my SS statement numbers and inflated them using government inflation numbers, our average inflation adjusted income over 36 years was $71k. Our last 15 years we averaged close to $75k a year.
Our nestegg is larger than our lifetime earnings.

If you want to play, I put this google sheet together 3 years ago to find inflation adjusted income from your SS statement. Yours to play with, modify or fix, if you'd like.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Xfs/edit#gid=0
Thanks. SS site is basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I'll say this much: In my 28 year career I reached the FICA limit every year but my first (and missed that one because I started mid-year). That gives an indication relative to inflation without being too specific.
Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm not sure that revealing our incomes would tell much of a story, without also relating whether we've had other sources of income, such as inheritances, and pensions, to name a couple. I had a modest inheritance, and a fairly significant boost to the portfolio from selling 3 rental properties which I had the good fortune to own for 2 years, in a sharply rising market.

Agreed. To get something, you gotta give something. Well, maybe not around here but it's good form, in my opinion.
You can get average from SS site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
Between 2 of us, $750K while in megacorp. Started our own company in a different field, lost huge money for the first couple of years, broke even year 3 to 4, ended with about $450K in year 8 before we sold our company.
CEO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
For the last 20 years I worked, I ran my own business and earnings were all over the map, depending on business. But it was pretty good most of that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My total wage earnings in my 23-year career, from mid-1985 through the end of 2008, were just over $1.1M. My average annual wages were just over $47k. My highest wage year was in 2000, my last year working full-time. I earned just under $78k. In 2001, I reduced my weekly hours worked so my pay got cut by nearly 1/2. In 2007, I did that again, reducing my pay another 21% (of the original FT pay).

But the value of the company stock I owned from 1997-2008 went from 5% of my annual pay in 1997 to nearly 10 times my annual pay in 2008, when I retired. Some of that was due to my declining pay, but most of it was due to the exploding value of the company stock.
Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
Average - $75k (during FT working career, not incl. PT years)
Median - $64k (during FT working career, not incl. PT years)
Exceeded FICA limit - 15 times
Total lifetime wages to date ~ $1.8m (still have PT gig)
Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I've been pondering my SS estimate and this is helpful for me. I hit the FICA limit 20 of my 29 years at Megacorp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Started in 1979 at 25 grand. Finished up 2014 at 85 grand. Pretty linear, with a few bumps.
$25k a year in 1979 was really good salary.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

more than I ever thought at 18

And, OP-what's the point?
Old 10-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #36

@F.I.R.E User, not CEO. Just 2 senior managers in high tech Megacorp. Our CEO made 8 figures.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:34 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

average about 89K for 25 working years(1995-2020) and retired at 50.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
more than I ever thought at 18

And, OP-what's the point?
Just to see what everyone makes to get there.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:09 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
Just to see what everyone makes to get there.
It's not what you make, it's what you spend, save, and pay in taxes. In my case >20% of income was saved/invested during my peak earnings.

I'm still not answering your question as you wish. Not sorry, you have to figure it out on your own. See the first sentence above for guidance.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
It's not what you make, it's what you spend, save, and pay in taxes. In my case >20% of income was saved/invested during my peak earnings.

I'm still not answering your question as you wish. Not sorry, you have to figure it out on your own. See the first sentence above for guidance.
I know but still wanted to see where I stood. You don’t have to answer.

Tags
f.i.r.e, income, income investing, investing