Join Early Retirement Today

"You're too young to retire!"
Old 05-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

That's what people are telling me. I really don't get it.. too young to be free? I stuck out an o.k. but unsatisfying job for 24 years to get to this point. I was there for the money, I admit it. If these guys weren't getting paid they wouldn't be there so why would I stay if I have enough? I think if the best thing I can come up with if I got bored is to go back to that dirty shift work that I should be put out of my misery.
I read with much admiration the thread "WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY?" I can't wait to live like that and it's only a couple months away!
freedom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom42 View Post
That's what people are telling me. I really don't get it.. too young to be free? I stuck out an o.k. but unsatisfying job for 24 years to get to this point. I was there for the money, I admit it. If these guys weren't getting paid they wouldn't be there so why would I stay if I have enough? I think if the best thing I can come up with if I got bored is to go back to that dirty shift work that I should be put out of my misery.
I read with much admiration the thread "WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY?" I can't wait to live like that and it's only a couple months away!
You are welcome to join http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-class-of-2011-a-53912.html
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats. It's just not the norm for most people.

Just have ideas to fill some of your new free time =) That will be your new job ;-) Enjoy
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

I don't discuss early retirement with those at work. Very few can grasp the concept. They are quite content with mortgage, car , boat, rv, vacation timeshare, etc monthly payments.

The usual response when I suggest that you should have your mortgage paid off by 50 is not positive.

L.B.Y.M. for most around me means Living Beyond Your Means.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #5

Different folks, different strokes....
I do what feels best to me and DH. I will be in the same situation next year, only that my job is quite interesting and not toxic.
Still, I value time spent in freedom with DH more than a nice salary and interesting business tasks.
But to feel like that you have to be sure that there is a life waiting for you outside your job. And, of course, some financial groundwork has to be done in time.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #6

When I left mega-corp at 58, I had several co-w*rkers caution me. They suggested that since I didn't take exotic vacations, buy a new car every year, wear $2K suits etc. that I couldn't possibly have enough to keep me for the rest of my days. If I had it, I would have flaunted it.

You can, they can't, WTFC.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
When I left mega-corp at 58, I had several co-w*rkers caution me. They suggested that since I didn't take exotic vacations, buy a new car every year, wear $2K suits etc. that I couldn't possibly have enough to keep me for the rest of my days. If I had it, I would have flaunted it.
That's amazing. They will never "get it".
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you are too young to retire. In that case, congratulations for beating the crowd.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

about 18 years ago my co-workers had a bet on when I would "actually" retire (it's still written down) I win! They were way off.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #10

Congrats. I am always amazed at how poorly the majority of people plan their lives. LBYM is important, but in my view the actual planning part is a pre requisite for LBYM. As long as you have a reasonable plan LBYM seems to happen naturally. To take this thought further, one could make the case that LBYM without a good plan is just being cheap.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for all the congrats, it's very exciting to be in the class of 2011. Since my early 20's I've had the plan of FIRE. I used to talk about it openly back then but most were on a different page. I too find it amazing that few people set themselves up for retirement. To each their own of course, and I wish them happiness but I get to smash my alarm clock with a hammer soon
Someone on this forum sent me a song by the 'stones (forget the title but it's a great retirement song), I'm going to play it as I drive off the site for the last time.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

You can, they can't, WTFC.
Lovely anecdote. Funny how so many people believe flaunting what you have is some kind of universal law that cannot be denied.....

Audrey
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've run into three kinds of people:

1) "How is it possible?" people. It doesn't matter how much they earn. Folks 10 years my senior, making high six and low seven figure salaries for a couple of decades, have asked me how I could possibly afford to leave work. Another told me, very sternly, that I should keep working so I can 'retire for real' someday - presumably to a rocking chair. These people tend to be the most openly hostile. While they think they'd like to do the same thing they ultimately aren't willing to make any sacrifices. They often wrongly assume that I haven't sacrificed either.

2) Puritanical work ethic people. Some have told me that work is a virtue. When I ask how working in finance, which produces no visible good to society - in pursuit of ever large piles of cash and things, is virtuous I'm always met with blank stares. I think there is an intuitive feeling among some people that suffering is good for your character. When I promise them I'll self flagellate instead of returning to work it doesn't seem to satisfy them, though.

3) "What will you do all day?" people. Some people can't imagine life without an overlord telling them how to spend their hours. They're not caught in the Matrix, they want to be there. They can't understand why anyone would ever leave.

One of the things I learned in college is that most of the great 'Romantic' poets, those who advanced the idea of breaking with societal norms, died early and miserably. Going your own way is hard, and standing out from the crowd often makes you a target. Your mere existence calls into question what everyone else takes as a matter of faith. It's not a path for everyone. And those who walk it should expect to be especially thick-skinned.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I've run into three kinds of people:... snip...
I'm not sure I fall in those groups .... I'm happy for those that can pull the plug and slightly jealous as I currently don't have much of a choice ;-) but a plan is in the works
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
Quote:
I've run into three kinds of people:... snip...
I'm not sure I fall in those groups .... I'm happy for those that can pull the plug and slightly jealous as I currently don't have much of a choice ;-) but a plan is in the works
Comments apply to those who say 'You're too young to retire.' My guess is that you don't fall into that camp.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #16

I got the "You're too young" comment the other day - from another early retiree!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Comments apply to those who say 'You're too young to retire.' My guess is that you don't fall into that camp.
I stand corrected (mutlitasking during a conference call), I won't stand in that camp. Never too young to retire if you have the means to support yourself/family.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement, freedom42.

I retired at 61 (not very early), and even so people at work were concerned that I was retiring too early. I guess they just assume that since THEY weren't financially ready to retire at that age, I couldn't possibly be ready.

I guess the best approach to comments like that might be as follows:

(1) be absolutely sure you are ready,
(2) pleasantly tell them that you can afford it and have plans for more pleasant ways to spend your time, so why not? and
(3) proceed to retire as planned.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Pfffttttttttttt...

.....in that case tell 'em...."You're too old to work!"
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Pfffttttttttttt...

.....in that case tell 'em...."You're too old to work!"
+1