$100k Milestone!

Congrats! Since the beginning of this year when we hit 100k we haven't been making forward progress. Retirement accounts have been increasing, but savings has gone down almost as much. Then again, it was (partly) to pay off home mortgage/equity loan, so how does that work? We also added a Jacuzzi and a Volvo, I haven't been completely responsible....

I'm still at the point that I get excited every time I hit another $10,000 milestone! I'll admit though, that the excitement there is waning, and pretty soon I'll probably start using $20K or 50K milestones. Doesn't seem that long ago that I'd get excited every time I hit a new $1000 milestone!

I also noticed that when I hit my second $100,000, it wasn't as exciting as the first. Part of that though was because it all came on so quickly when I sold my condo and invested the profits fairly quickly in rather large chunks. But at least I'm at the point where I don't cry if my grand total drops by several thousand dollars in a day anymore. Doesn't seem that long ago that I'd get excited about a $500 sway in either direction.

Laurence said:
Congrats!  Since the beginning of this year when we hit 100k we haven't been making forward progress.  Retirement accounts have been increasing, but savings has gone down almost as much.  Then again, it was (partly) to pay off home mortgage/equity loan, so how does that work?

This goes back to your total net worth vs. your net worth for retirement purposes.

Your total net worth has gone up by the same amount that your mortgage principle balance has gone down (assuming FMV stayed the same), but unless you plan on using your home to fund your retirement, it's a sunk cost.  

Either way, paying down the mortgage usually always makes sense.

Good work BigMoney!
Now if your bucks are just earning MM rates you ought to be knocking down about .50 cents per hour, every hour of the day--sooo, you posted this at about 10 this AM, so come midnight you will have earned enough for a 6 pac of Corona and a celebration.  :D :D
Ain't life great?  8)

JPatrick said:
Now if your bucks are just earning MM rates you ought to be knocking down about .50 cents per hour, every hour of the day--sooo, you posted this at about 10 this AM, so come midnight you will have earned enough for a 6 pac of Corona and a celebration.

Except the car, furniture, electronics and toothpicks aren't earning a thing. And after taxes, the net is even lower. He might have to settle for a 6 pac of Buds instead.

Andre1969 said:
I'm still at the point that I get excited every time I hit another $10,000 milestone!  I'll admit though, that the excitement there is waning, and pretty soon I'll probably start using $20K or 50K milestones.  Doesn't seem that long ago that I'd get excited every time I hit a new $1000 milestone!

I also noticed that when I hit my second $100,000, it wasn't as exciting as the first.  Part of that though was because it all came on so quickly when I sold my condo and invested the profits fairly quickly in rather large chunks.  But at least I'm at the point where I don't cry if my grand total drops by several thousand dollars in a day anymore.  Doesn't seem that long ago that I'd get excited about a $500 sway in either direction.

Yep, I'm still thrilled by $500 milestones. Right now my cash, stocks, funds, and retirement accounts total about $45,000, so I still have a long way to go.

I think that probably the greatest thing about this forum for me is being able to get encouragement from everyone about savings goals. I could never talk to my friends face to face about my net worth or how much money I'm saving. Thanks everyone. :)

Congratulations! I know it feels good to accomplish something that most cannot understand. I reached $100 K when I was 39 married with two kids. Single income family. Now 9 years later I am a little further ahead. I think it’s important to track net worth year to year to see how you are doing. I count all assets. Home equity, cars, cash, stocks, bonds, cash value of pension. Probably not the furniture, clothes and toothpicks.
I will share my net worth records with the board. I estimate that I will cross the 1 Million mark in about 3 years. I don’t separate out the investments for retirement from the house equity or anything else. Just one simple number to see how I am doing. Before long one year of growth will exceed the value of my house anyway. Try to avoid negative impacts to your net worth. Divorce would top the list. Kids will put a dent in it. Job loss which is always a threat. (Keep a reserve fund.). Addictions to shiny things.

Net Worth

Dec-94 $ 50,000
Dec-95 $ 81,000
Dec-96 $ 108,000
Dec-97 $ 136,000
Dec-98 $ 189,000
Dec-99 $ 246,000
Dec-00 $ 263,000
Dec-01 $ 268,000
Dec-02 $ 268,000
Dec-03 $ 338,000
Dec-04 $ 430,000
Dec-05 $ 495,000

Lazarus said:
Congratulations! I know it feels good to accomplish something that most cannot understand. I reached $100 K when I was 39 married with two kids. Single income family. Now 9 years later I am a little further ahead. I think it’s important to track net worth year to year to see how you are doing. I count all assets. Home equity, cars, cash, stocks, bonds, cash value of pension. Probably not the furniture, clothes and toothpicks.
I will share my net worth records with the board. I estimate that I will cross the 1 Million mark in about 3 years. I don’t separate out the investments for retirement from the house equity or anything else. Just one simple number to see how I am doing. Before long one year of growth will exceed the value of my house anyway. Try to avoid negative impacts to your net worth. Divorce would top the list. Kids will put a dent in it. Job loss which is always a threat. (Keep a reserve fund.). Addictions to shiny things.

Net Worth    

Dec-94 $        50,000
Dec-95 $        81,000
Dec-96 $       108,000
Dec-97 $       136,000
Dec-98 $       189,000
Dec-99 $       246,000
Dec-00 $       263,000
Dec-01 $       268,000
Dec-02 $       268,000
Dec-03 $       338,000
Dec-04 $       430,000
Dec-05 $       495,000

Interesting post. Just a note about "divorce". Many have referred to
it causing economic disaster. In my case, it enabled me to retire.
Even though we split the net worth about 50/50, I could do just fine
with my half since I was no longer "The Jones". 8 years since the split
and it has worked out just fine, at least financially. An aside.............
the Dec., 05 number shown above is about as much as I ever saw in my life,
even when combined with my spouse.

JG

Well, its only money. Just numbers. Inflation adjusted it would look different. If you want to consider what its worth cashed out it would be less. Sell the house- realtor fees. Raid the 401K pay penalty and taxes. Have a garage sale-sell the furnature. Just numbers to estimate how I am doing. New hires at my company probably make 80% of what I make after 20 years. The important point is not how much you have. It's how free are you?

SLC Tortfeasor said:
Yep, I'm still thrilled by $500 milestones.  Right now my cash, stocks, funds, and retirement accounts total about $45,000, so I still have a long way to go.

I'm thrilled by $50 milestones. :)

JG

Yep, the distrbution mode is different. Hopeing to get there some day.

I to crossed the $100k mark in my 401k this year at 34 and was happy.  Now I see how the rich get richer, it amazes me when I see the value of the acount go up $500 with a good day on wall street.  It amazes me that you can make a couple of grand of month just having money sit there.  Now I just need to grow my "non-retirement" accounts.  I got a late start, but hopefully someday they'll get there.  Just kicking myself that I didn't match my retirement account contribuitions to non-retirement, I believe I could've easily had the same amount in those today, where at this time it is only around $10k :'(

deafcat said:
I to crossed the $100k mark in my 401k this year at 34 and was happy. Now I see how the rich get richer, it amazes me when I see the value of the acount go up $500 with a good day on wall street. It amazes me that you can make a couple of grand of month just having money sit there. Now I just need to grow my "non-retirement" accounts. I got a late start, but hopefully someday they'll get there. Just kicking myself that I didn't match my retirement account contribuitions to non-retirement, I believe I could've easily had the same amount in those today, where at this time it is only around $10k :'(

Yea, It's amazing. I have frends that have their net worth vary day to day by more than my total. You have to have a strong heart!

BigMoneyJim said:
With today's paycheck and yesterday's market results I topped $90k in savings and investments. It occurred to me several months ago that $100k by the end of the year was possible with a very favorable market, but I'm going to cheat a little by adding in my car, furniture, electronics and toothpicks and celebrate 2005 as the year I hit $100k in assets. I am 35 (and still debt free, and still single with no kids).  (I also have a non-COLA vested DB pension and 15+ years of SS contributions.)

I often feel like the poor guy around here, but looking back I'm pretty happy with my situation. 2004 saw the end of my debt. 2005 has been a celebratory year of spending loosely, and looking back I see I spent around $3000 on air travel and $3000 on electronic goodies among other general financial looseness. To reach $100k in spite of that is quite encouraging. I am eyeing to reduce spending in 2006 while still having plenty of fun. I'm sure I could've done better with my finances over the past 17 years, but I can't beat myself up too much, either.

Yeah, congratulations. It's always nice to set a target, work hard and then enjoy achieving it.  :D

As posted earlier, if the 100k is left alone and added to, the next 100k is easier, then at 200k then next 200k is easier than the first 100k and so. The old snowball effect.   ;)

Soon the notable milestones will 250k increments!!  :LOL:

I don't usually do the detailed calcs until 31st March for financial year end, but we are now on course for $1.75m by then. I have a target in mind of $2m by the end of 2006, but conservativley it is more likely by mid 2007.   8)

Cheers

Honkie

Honkie said:
Yeah, congratulations. It's always nice to set a target, work hard and then enjoy achieving it. :D

As posted earlier, if the 100k is left alone and added to, the next 100k is easier, then at 200k then next 200k is easier than the first 100k and so. The old snowball effect. ;)

Soon the notable milestones will 250k increments!! :LOL:

I don't usually do the detailed calcs until 31st March for financial year end, but we are now on course for $1.75m by then. I have a target in mind of $2m by the end of 2006, but conservativley it is more likely by mid 2007. 8)

Cheers

Honkie

All true. Hope to be there soon!

Great posts and great job BMJ. Striving for the next milestone 1-3 years down the pike is always a lot more tangable and rewarding for me than estimating things 10, 20 or 30 years out. I'm fine with all the long term planning but it always has that "wand waving" feel to it.

SLC Tortfeasor said:
Yep, I'm still thrilled by $500 milestones. Right now my cash, stocks, funds, and retirement accounts total about $45,000, so I still have a long way to go.

I think that probably the greatest thing about this forum for me is being able to get encouragement from everyone about savings goals. I could never talk to my friends face to face about my net worth or how much money I'm saving. Thanks everyone. :)

I'd also like to add that one of the greatest thing about this forum is to be able for everyone to give their numbers without fear of judgement.

So I'll add my thanks to everyone for that! :)

Not meaning to steal a thread, but we too have just reached a milestone, but not quite as significant.
I am happy that we just broke the $25k mark in our 401ks and IRA's. Around $110k if you count home equity, but as we don't intend on selling the cabin any time soon that does not really count to us. Cabin has a loan of $115,000 @ 4.35% interest through a land contract and it is on a 2500 acre lake in Hayward Wisconsin. Although being 29 years old I am happy with where we are for the most part. Hind site is 20/20 and I have really kicked my self for not starting sooner. My biggest mistake is I once cashed out a 401k worth around $6500 six years ago. Just thinking about that now makes me wish I would have listened to my parents as they told me to not cash it out. Anyway, finding this site has changed our life. I have realized that I am not crazy to want to live debt free and that we don't have to work until we are 70 years old if we really don't want to. I have tried to talk about my FIRE strategy with coworkers, but they just don’t get it. All they are interested in is buying the next newest car and the next best plasma TV on the market, and they think I am crazy. So, thank you for all sharing your experiences and helping us young dreamers. It is nice to have a place where you can talk to people who understand you.

I just noticed the "confused about dryer sheets" thing. Not sure that applies as I cut each one into 3 parts. That way I get 3 boxes out of one box. They work just as well as far as I am concerned. :)

Not meaning to steal a thread, but we too have just reached a milestone, but not quite as significant.
I am happy that we just broke the $25k mark in our 401ks and IRA's.  Around $110k if you count home equity, but as we don't intend on selling the cabin any time soon that does not really count to us.  Cabin has a loan of $115,000 @ 4.35% interest through a land contract and it is on a 2500 acre lake in Hayward Wisconsin.  Although being 29 years old I am happy with where we are for the most part.  Hind site is 20/20 and I have really kicked my self for not starting sooner.  My biggest mistake is I once cashed out a 401k worth around $6500 six years ago.  Just thinking about that now makes me wish I would have listened to my parents as they told me to not cash it out.  Anyway, finding this site has changed our life.  I have realized that I am not crazy to want to live debt free and that we don't have to work until we are 70 years old if we really don't want to.  I have tried to talk about my FIRE strategy with coworkers, but they just don’t get it.  All they are interested in is buying the next newest car and the next best plasma TV on the market, and they think I am crazy.  So, thank you for all sharing your experiences and helping us young dreamers.  It is nice to have a place where you can talk to people who understand you.

You aren't stealing anyone's thread.  Nice job and welcome.  You gotta earn your stripes to move beyond the "confused dryer sheets" rank ;)

Just in case 3+ pages of congratulations isn't enough. Let me add mine. Way to go BMJ.
:) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

doah001 said:
I just noticed the "confused about dryer sheets" thing.  Not sure that applies as I cut each one into 3 parts.  That way I get 3 boxes out of one box.  They work just as well as far as I am concerned.  :)

Try this trick.  Dry a load of clothes with a dryer sheet then a load of clothes without a dryer sheet.  Close your eyes.  Mix them together.  Then reach down and try to tell which clothes were dryed with a dryer sheet and which ones were not.

Yes, I am so cheap I do not even use dryer sheets.   :D

BMJ, I'm late getting in here but let me also congratulate you. I can (vaguely) remember when I started on the road to FI. I've kept a spreadsheet for 28 years and the first entry at age 31 says we had a grand total of $750. And I darned sure didn't get to $100k in 4 years, inflation adjusted or not.

Congratulatons to everyone that on their way to FI. Some get an earlier start than others and some never start. Count yourselves among the few people that have the motivation, education, and willingness to defer gratification to get the Brass Ring of ER.

My divorce was the begining of my quest to FI. Before that our savings and investments never got over $1000. My divorce happened at age 40. Since that time, my net worth has gone up to the point that FI is possible and ER is scheduled in two years. My first $100k took a couple years due to paying off more than $30k in CC debt, raising a kid on my own, and having to save for a house, car etc. At 44 I had about $200k. A working wife and careful investing and a lot of luck allowed us to hit $1MM at 48. I am still saving the max on my 401k and am still paying down the mortages. Our net worth is still growing.

Money creates money. The more you have working for you, the more it will grow. You gotta love a free economy. :D

Back
Top Bottom