Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

1st Time Car Loan Questiom
Old 11-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

1st Time Car Loan Questiom

I have no credit. But I have a job that pays well. I just want to know what the requirements for the loan will be, and how much I can expect to pay per month on a $10,000 loan. And how much extra I can expect to pay on full coverage insurance as opposed to liability insurance. I am embarrassingly financially literate when it comes to this subject. So any and all input is welcome and greatly appreciated. thanks everyone!
Oakstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't answer your questions concerning requirements for getting a loan. But you can use this calculator to estimate your payments for a given interest rate:

Amortization Schedule Calculator
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Easiest way to guess at full coverage vs. liability only is to call your insurer or an independent agent. Lots of variables affect this, so no easy way to cuff it.

Shop credit unions as well as banks for car loans. Sometimes the credit unions are a LOT cheaper.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakstir View Post
I have no credit. But I have a job that pays well. I just want to know what the requirements for the loan will be, and how much I can expect to pay per month on a $10,000 loan. And how much extra I can expect to pay on full coverage insurance as opposed to liability insurance. I am embarrassingly financially literate when it comes to this subject. So any and all input is welcome and greatly appreciated. thanks everyone!
Where you say you have no credit do you mean you have no credit history at al or a poor credit history? Either way your interest rate, and therefore you monthly payments, would be higher than normal to reflect the higher risk compared to someone with a good credit history.

Insurance varies a lot from place to place so the only way to find out is to price out a policy which can easily be done online. For my two cars, collision/comprehensive is about the same as liability coverage, so full coverage is about twice liability only.

If you have a credit union near you, go talk to them about establishing a credit history, getting a credit card (and pay to in full every month) and possibly an auto loan. DS had no credit history a year ago, got a low limit credit card secured by his savings account and now has a 710 FICO score after recently getting an unsecured credit card.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you finance a car, the lender will insist that you have collision and comprehensive coverage to cover their loss since they will have a lien on the car.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Well, interesting first post...welcome to the forum.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you chose this forum (early retirement) to ask about a first time car loan?

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Before physically shopping for a car, consider going to your selected financial institutions and getting yourself pre-approved for a car loan amount… I personally would not want to try and arrange financing thru a dealer…
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Your credit rating impacts your cost of insurance. I'm with the folks that think you should improve your credit score. Lower payments and lower insurance bills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Start with a bank or credit union that you have done business with.......get a free credit score, someone else can help or just google, "free credit score" .....then compare your best deal with what the dealer can offer.....long at rate, length of loan, % of purchase price financed......then, if you don't have bad credit, take your best deal and if the rate is higher than 5 to 8% make your 1st few payments on time and take your payment book to your credit union.....they'll look at your record, give you their best deal and you'll be all set. Good Luck!
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
Before physically shopping for a car, consider going to your selected financial institutions and getting yourself pre-approved for a car loan amount… I personally would not want to try and arrange financing thru a dealer…
Agreed - the dealer will strive to get a loan for you to sell the car but they of course aren't making the payments so they don't care what the interest rate is. If it is 28% they don't care. But you should.

If you have the time to do so get a credit union or (if you must) a bank credit card and establish a history with that. Pay it off in full every month. You don't have to spend a lot, just buy a shirt or a pair of socks, lunch at McDonald's, fill your car with gas, anything you would have bought anyway. When you pay it off that establishes that you are a reliable borrower and thus are a good credit risk.