Join Early Retirement Today

30 day Sabbatical On Cheap
Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

30 day Sabbatical On Cheap

I have 30 days off starting in the middle of May, and I can hardly wait! I have a list of things that I can do about every 3 or so days, and the timing couldn't be better. The weather's beautiful, the beach'll be just about empty in the mornings, and I won't be at work!

So, always on a lookout for cheap fun, I came up with a list of things I'll probably be doing. It averages out to about $6/day. Beat that, Rachael Ray!

BG's Guide to Ultimate Fun:

Motorcycle Ride: ~$18

Sailboat Rental: ~$30

Motorcycle ride: ~$18

Kayak Rental: ~$10

Beach: ~$6 for gas round trip

Drinks With Best Friend: ~$25

Sailboat Rental: ~$30

Beach: ~$6 for gas round trip

Total = ~$180

Leave, come to me!
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Um so do you require nourishment?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #3

I don't really consider nourishment part of my entertainment expenses. I guess I could catch fish while I'm out sailing or kayaking though.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

I love the beach...your schedule sounds like fun!!!
smitherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate you..

Actually you are my idle lol -- Yea, where is the food going to come from??
trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #6

My budget for the bare necessities (I couldn't help it!), including food, is completely separate from my go out and have fun budget, which is why it's not included here. Might as well ask why the phone bill isn't included.

Each motorcycle ride lasts about 6 hours or so. That way I beat traffic coming and going. Same for the boat rentals. When my friend comes to town, it looks like I'll be drinking my dinner one night. These days that I go out, I take my camelpack with me, full of water, and live off that. Before I go out I eat, and after I get back eat again. I've found that I tend to eat more than I need to in the middle of being really active, and that weight carries itself in my stomach for a long time and makes whatever I'm doing a little less fun, so I usually skip eating until I'm finished.

But isn't that something to strive for? A fun and exciting time where you don't have to dip into your wallet every minute to enjoy it? I've actually found the more money I have to spend doing something (usually means touristy crap) the less I enjoy it. Theme parks, expensive restaurants, expensive vacations where you try to cram everything into a short amount of time, none of that beats seeing dolphins while kayaking in Shem Creek in Charleston, or swarms of bats coming out at dusk from a cave in New Mexico...the list goes on.

Jimmy Buffett was right. There should be a theme park where you feed mice with little Mickey Mouse hats to snakes. It'd be more satisfying than spending all day standing in line for a ride that keeps breaking down, and wouldn't cost nearly as much.