$500,000

This board sure isn't representative of broader society... the average Joe in Canada and the U.S. are not members here. :)

Now since in this thread it seems acceptable to share very personal financial stats, I'll join the party. Come this January, I should cross 800k in liquid assets at 39 years old. One million has always been my "number" as to when I will ER, so I am hoping 3 more years of saving like a madman and I should be there. DW has kindly offered to continue to work, bless her heart. :flowers:

Congrats to the OP for the amazing progress at such a tender age...

Well done SK! :D.

You're on track for FIRE at a relatively early age, AND with a spouse who wants to keep working; how great is that!?!? Just keep making those regular deposits and it all works :angel:

Well done SK! :D.

You're on track for FIRE at a relatively early age, AND with a spouse who wants to keep working; how great is that!?!? Just keep making those regular deposits and it all works :angel:

Really, I could approach her and suggest that I could retire NOW... we could live (and still save) quite comfortably on one income... but I don't want to push my luck. :cool: Dual income streams for a few more years will provide some nice buffer in our plan.

I belong to a few financial message boards and there is alot of hand wringing about the lack of growth in retirement portfolios... my comment is often that the best financial plan in existence is LBYM.

Congratulations! I have several more years to go, but it's inspiring and motivating to see other people arrive at this destination.

Please post back and describe how your first week went.

That's great... what is your advice to other people in their twenties who might or might not be concerned about their financial future?

Life isn't about the accumulation of things.

A few years ago one of my friends that I hadn't seen in a while was showing me his house that he shares with roommates, and he's like this is my new car, my pool table, my big screen TV, my new game system, cool stereo...you get the idea. On almost every level he had better "stuff" than me. I finally had to tell him that this isn't what impresses me and that if I really wanted to, I could buy all this stuff multiple times over. I told him that what really impressed me about him is that right out of high school, he signed up for Marine Corps infantry and served in Afghanistan. That's something that matters.

if you want to get to ER, you got to be a little crazy that way; instead of driving the BMW, saving...

I almost thought of buying a new Mercedes a few years ago. I was going to justify it based on it having a lot more safety features than my 2004 Ford Taurus. Thankfully, I didn't go through with it and I'm still driving that Taurus. It's only got 76,000 miles on it, so it's got quite a bit of life left.

Well, my first month as a half millionaire wasn't even a month. I'm down to $471K. My spreadsheet has reminded me how much money I "lost" this month.

-$29,369
-5.87%

daystar said:
Well, my first month as a half millionaire wasn't even a month. I'm down to $471K. My spreadsheet has reminded me how much money I "lost" this month.

-$29,369
-5.87%

You had 5 bucks and you are down 29 cents.

Congratulations! I'm about the same age and probably on about the same schedule less gifts. As people have noted, even excluding the gift money, you're doing a great job! Not too far to go - hopefully the momentum will start doing a lot of the work now!

-$29,369
-5.87%

Just think of this as practice for a time in your future when you reach the million dollar mark and "lose" $60,000 in one month.

Don't ask me how I know this!

:)

Cheers,
--Linney

Back
Top Bottom