A personal financial milestone reached

Well done, Buddy. Combined with your early-acquired understanding of the other basics, you should be sitting pretty a decade or two from now. There will be a few spots where you'll wonder, but you should otherwise be on autoopilot.

I'm extremely fortunate. I should give a "shout out" to DW since she always believed I had a lot of potential. She was a student at a top university when she met me, and I was impersonating a bum. She made it clear if I wanted to stay in the picture I needed to grow up and raise the bar. 12 years later that's worked out very well. :)

Congratulations!! Pay off mortgage sooner!! :) Buy the girls a pony!! (LOL - j/k)

Speaking of next steps, the biggest one for me after reaching that milestone was a mental one. I'd always paid attention to how much money we had left each month, but over the last 3 or 4 years, net income minus expenses has become my prime means of measuring how well we are doing. I don't even think about gross income that much anymore. I truly believe that shift in thinking has been behind just about every good financial decision we've made (paying off the house, avoiding cost of living creep, etc, etc). I believe that when a person says "how do I get my disposable income from 50k to 60k", just the framing of the question makes you consider so much more of the big picture than saying "how do I get my income from 100k to 120k".

I'm extremely fortunate. I should give a "shout out" to DW since she always believed I had a lot of potential. She was a student at a top university when she met me, and I was impersonating a bum. She made it clear if I wanted to stay in the picture I needed to grow up and raise the bar. 12 years later that's worked out very well. :)

Congrats on the raise! Your DW is one smart cookie....nothing like giving the future DH an ultimatum to shape up or ship out! :LOL:

Wow...nicely done. You're kicking my butt in income, but I did beat you on paying off the house. : )

Personal financial milestone

Congrats. That is a great achievement. My wife's salary and mine total over six figures. We live in North Eastern Pennsylvania, so that would equal more than $200K in San Diego due to the low cost of living in NEPA.

DF

Back
Top Bottom