Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Annual review and raise, WTF!?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We get our annual raises in July, so I dunno what it's going to be yet. Last July I got the "walk on water, yadda-yadda-yadda" review, along with a whopping 2.7% increase. I was going to question it, but then I had just gotten an out-of-cycle raise in late March of something like 5.5%, so I figured I'd better not cry too much. Plus, I also found that even at just 2.7%, that was still among the highest.

I have a feeling that I'm still below the level of my peers, though.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #22

Well in January I got a promotion which equals 2 extra hours/week, but easier work. Management is great...I jsut'babysit' the people who once my peers (and still are, in my eyes).

We have useless meetings, fill out useless spreadsheets, track goofy numbers....just a buncha crap.

I got a 60% bump in bonus salary. Considering that my bonus totalled about 27% of my salary last year, I'd say it's equivalent to about a 10% raise over all.

BUT, the catch was that the OVERALL bonus structure was REDUCED. So basically, I wasnt hurt by the new bonus system liek everyone else...so in relaity, it's about a wash!

I've only been here 1.75 years, and I get a lot done. I've made probably 30 suggestions to the owner of the small finance company I work for (big suggestions that dont even concern my department) and he implemented quite a few of them. I feel like I havent gotten much credit for it though. It can be disheartening, as I see saw myself growing with this company and pulling dow a nice salary within 5 years (for me, 50-60k would be great....no college,just high school)
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

I got 3%, should have been more, but my boss dislikes me and or thinks I "have so much going for me" that she shaved about a .5% to 1%. Considering what others are getting (or not getting), I am still pretty blessed. My annual bonus was good, but my boss shaved $2801 off what I was funded so I am recouping that lost by taking back time.

RETIRE_TINGLE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sounds like most of corporate America management is reading the same best sellers this year. We did manage to give most folks in our facility a 4% raise this year. I did a little better at 12% but that was back in December when I was looking at another opprotunity. Funny thing is, I remember when we would get a COLA of 1.5% - 3.0% and then a merit raise was earned. Now it is all lumped together and as the OP said, you get the lip service but no money.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I have no idea when or if I'll get a raise or a performance evaluation. Joys of working for a privately-held company, I guess, LOL.

That said--

The job isn't difficult; I have very little overtime; and DH and I can still achieve ER on or about our target date (December 2009) even if neither of us ever get another raise.

I think I'll hang around, at least until the commute gets too bad to bear (currently 30-35 minutes in the morning, 35-45 minutes in the evening).
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #26

One good thing about a commission only job, you never have to worry or complain about raises. You get to make your own.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got a 4.5% increase with a "great" performance appraisal, along with a bonus. But the raise is a once a year thing.

A raise % is only relative - the only sure way to tell if you are being underpaid is to test the market by floating your resume. As others said, keep in mind the big picture regarding benefits, working hours, commute, etc.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #28

One thing that definitely keeps me in check is the commute. Usually takes about 5-7 minutes to get from home to the parking lot here at work, and on a bad day, it might take 10 minutes to get home. So my short commute time is definitely worth a few bucks, compared to a job that might pay better, but where I might have to travel 30 minutes to an hour or more each way.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Andre, you are right, it is a real benefit to live close, that is the one thing I would love to change about my job. The commute I have is normally 45 minutes each way. I loose 1.5 hours per day, 7.5 hours per week......
Old 04-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #30

I got a 5% raise. I may get CPI like increases in the future years, but most of my comp is going to come from bonuses

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #31

No complaints here. Got a 4% raise back in October plus another 3% at the beginning of March right before I started my one year maternity leave. In addition, got a bonus which worked out to be 10.5% of my salary.

Good thing too since Erin loves to go through diapers!! :P
Old 04-20-2006, 06:31 AM   #32

Personally, I think American business owners and exec's became spoiled by the buyers market in labor during the last five years or so. By the same token, competition is brutal, and labor is a major cost.

As the market continues to improve, I think it will take job-hopping to get significant increases, and once that becomes more prevalent, businesses will finally begin paying more.

CPI (if you believe it) was 3.6% in 2/06 ... you have to get more than that just to break even many times, considering tax consequences.

In the meantime, best of luck.* Most of your / our bosses think they have us by the short hairs.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Well, yesterday I began formally negotiating to take over the IT security manager position in another line of business within the company. If I can job hop internally, I would much prefer that. The commute, vacation, 9/80, 100% 401k matching etc. all make this a great company to work for, and if I can make just one more big jump in salary I think I can deal with colas from then on. We'll see, it will probably be a year long process for this to bear fruit, it's a matter if I can last that long. Tomorrow's my first Friday off on the new 9/80, maybe that will change my perspective...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #34

I've been very fortunate this year - received an out of cycle 10% raise, an in cycle 5.1% raise and a 5% bonus this year--HOWEVER, I've done some significant things towards meeting a strategic goal and know that I'm compensated less than other people in other divisions who are responsible for less....

What's been the most fascinating, however, has been that the number of hours I actually work have decreased - I've become much more efficient and really focus on only those things that will truly make a difference - I'm thinking a lot more now and expressing those ideas to the leaders in our company - I'm also delivering on those thoughts in terms of producing results.

I think they are afraid of losing me......they didn't promote me to a management position a few years ago, but frankly, I like it where I am - and, with the rate of savings and the FIRE plan, I don't think that I'll be here too much longer.

I never thought I would get paid more for doing less, however - it's been true for me. Once I get quit worrying about political aspects and focused on getting results, I've been compensated well.

Deserat
Old 04-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

We are in the middle of the annual disgrace process. The median increase looks to be around 4.2% unless you walk on water or have your head where the sun don't shine. The range is very tight so there is not much room to "reward" the better performing people vs those that just skate by. As usual, it is not much more than a cost of living adjustment but is sold as a merit increase....yeah right!

The next waste of time process is the Performance Evaluation game followed by the Stock Option granting game followed by the incentive bonus aware game. It is such a farce! We grant options that will be worthless and give bonuses that have been "adjusted" due to the company's poor performance that was obviously caused by an individual's lack of working hard enough even though they had no effect on the sales or profits of the company.

Ok, end of vent.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
One thing that definitely keeps me in check is the commute. Usually takes about 5-7 minutes to get from home to the parking lot here at work, and on a bad day, it might take 10 minutes to get home. So my short commute time is definitely worth a few bucks, compared to a job that might pay better, but where I might have to travel 30 minutes to an hour or more each way.
i have you beat....2.9 miles. it takes about 4.5 minutes in the camaro
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
i have you beat....2.9 miles. it takes about 4.5 minutes in the camaro
...And I have you beat by more than "a mile"...about 8.5 feet.* Takes me about 10 seconds in my boxers, perhaps 12 if there are any hazards, like Barbies or plastic toys*
Old 05-05-2006, 02:53 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

what bothers me most is how boss's want you to be their partner and share in the bad times with no raises but when the business is doing great they dont need any partners
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:02 AM   #39

My company had its normal ups and downs. Sometimes these swings wern't predictable and didn't manifest themselves until year end. A Christmas bonus often made more sense than a raise in salary. Everyone got a raise sometime, except me. I never got a raise... just my way of stickin' it to the man!

Old 05-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
what bothers me most is how boss's want you to be their partner and share in the bad times with no raises* but when the business is doing great they dont need any partners
That's why I have a history of job-hopping for a whopping fat raise in good times.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote