Join Early Retirement Today

Another way to profit from credit cards
Old 04-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another way to profit from credit cards

There've been threads about making money off credit cards before, but I'm planning a new one and want to share my feelings of smugness.

I currently make about $300 a year off of my Citi Platinum Mastercard (they offer 1% on most purchases, and I think 3-5% on certain purchases like gas and groceries).* But I just got an application from American Express for 0% interest on new purchases for 15 months.* So I think I'll just start putting all my new purchases on the new Amex card, paying the bare minimum monthly balance.* Every month instead of paying off my Amex balance, I'll pay my Emigrant Direct account (currently paying 4.5%) instead.

Even better, at the end of my 15 months of 0% interest with Amex, I'm sure I'll have plenty of offers to transfer my balance to another card also offering 0% for another 15 months.* So I'll just transfer the balance, and keep making 4.5% in Emigrant Direct.*

I'll be making effortless, no-risk profit off the credit card companies.
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Another way to profit from credit cards
Old 04-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It will work if you follow your plan to a 'T'. I've done the zero percent CC balance transfer rate arbitrage for almost a year now. I'm up to ~ $90,000 float now. That's about $330/month "free" money. Plus I get the "$100 gift card for signing up for a CC" occassionally. Most of mine are with Citicards. They have started to figure out that I have a lot of outstanding credit card debt now though. I get turned down sometimes for their top notch cards due to my high balances.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #3

If you're really brave, Emigrant Direct has 5% CDs with maturity dates from 9 months on up to 10 years.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow. *I'm extremely impressed. *I don't think I want to get that far into it, but you definitely deserve a high five. *

If you tally up the total sum you've made off the credit card companies so far, how much is it?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
If you're really brave, Emigrant Direct has 5% CDs with maturity dates from 9 months on up to 10 years.*
Thanks, I will check this out.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #6

Dont be surprised that amex only gives you 6 months rather than 15, though. A lot of folks have complained about them. I also do a lot of these cc games for freebies and cash in the money market accounts. Make sure you leave enough for the rest of us
Old 04-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
It will work if you follow your plan to a 'T'.* I've done the zero percent CC balance transfer rate arbitrage for almost a year now.* I'm up to ~ $90,000 float now.* That's about $330/month "free" money.* Plus I get the "$100 gift card for signing up for a CC" occassionally.* Most of mine are with Citicards.* They have started to figure out that I have a lot of outstanding credit card debt now though.* I get turned down sometimes for their top notch cards due to my high balances.*
Does this amount of CC borrowing come around and bite you by raising your auto insurance rates?

Ha
Old 04-27-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Right now I float 45K on 0% CC's. I set my bill payer up to make sure monthly payments are made well in advance of the due date. Need to pay back that about $800 a month of that principle (~2% a month). As long as you make sure you pay on schedule and dont take on too much risk this is a no brainer. Lots of good deals. Citi has two deals were you can get free $100 gift cards after your first purchase and then you can take advantage of 0% rates.

Good luck,

Elroy
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My BIL has you all beat... he has $150,000 floating right now.... but not all at zero... he has some 1.9 and some 2.9....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #10

I'll tell you guys the same thing i told JG.* That sounds like work (a job) to me;* keeping up with all of that, and tracking it.* *Of course you should be paid for it!

I'd rather play another set of tennis with that spare 30 minutes. * shrug *
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #11

Good point. Any idea on what the effective hourly income is?

I hesitate to try this because I'm a procrastinator. Even after being debt free I tried buying my HDTV on a 0-interest deal but was late a couple of days on one payment for a $30 late fee, so I just paid it off and again swore off of revolving credit, even if free and covered. (I still put a lot on the CC, but I pay it off every month...oddly I haven't missed that target yet.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Does this amount of CC borrowing come around and bite you by raising your auto insurance rates?
It's hard to say definitively. My last auto insurance renewal in July 2005 (when I was at ~$25000 float) had my rates decrease by about 10% from the July 2004 amounts with essentially the same coverage (two cars each became 1 yr older).

I'd say no effect based on that. Even if our rates doubled from $800/yr to $1600/yr, we're still making much more from the interest rate arbitrage.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
I'll tell you guys the same thing i told JG. That sounds like work (a job) to me; keeping up with all of that, and tracking it. Of course you should be paid for it!
Quote:
Good point. Any idea on what the effective hourly income is?
I figure 2 hours tops to apply for a single card, activate it, make a purchase if necessary, enter it into the credit card company's web interface, enter it into my spreadsheet, request a balance transfer check, deposit the check at the bank, roll the amount to Vanguard, and perform quarterly accounting tasks.

Then I figure 5 minutes per month to pay the CC bill online, enter it into my checkbook, etc. That is 1 hour per year.

I generally figure I'll make ~$300-400 per credit card depending on the terms, free cash/gift cards and credit limit.

I'm making about $100/hr at least. Yeah it's work, but pretty easy given the pay. It isn't any harder than paying my regular bills and entering them into the checkbook. It's also something I can do while watching tv or sitting on hold with some P.O.S. customer service rep.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
If you tally up the total sum you've made off the credit card companies so far, how much is it?
Probably a few thousand bucks including all the promotional offers and interest from arbing the rates. I do have some nonzero rates I pay that I have locked in for life of balance that I used to partially finance my house purchase.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #15

There are also ways to lessen the affects on your credit score...like moving balances between cards knowing that most cards report balances at statement time, etc. I agree on it not significantly affecting my insurance rates...I think for most people, they would save more on car insurance by not buying a new car and taking advantage of discounts, etc. I think it is highly profitable and fun...who doesnt like to play the system 8)

Hey Justin: are you using your wife's credit profile for more sign on bonuses?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #16

Don't you have to pay a fee for using the convienence checks?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

definitely some works involved to get "free" money but you get to work at home and making 50$/hr. NOT BAD

enuff

nothing is completely a free ride
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Don't you have to pay a fee for using the convienence checks?
Not the Citicard balance transfer/convenience checks that I use.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Doesn't that American Express Card charge a yearly fee?
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #20

My Amex Gold card was just charged $150 for a yearly charge.
(not happy)