Anybody else use facebook or other online social networks?

No, I never went to Facebook but I'm interested (mostly due to curiousity). What's it like? Do you use your real name and real info? What are the rewards? dangers?

The media make it sound scary.

I have accounts on facebook and eons; but very low activity; being an old fart, maybe I just don't get it.

This forum is about as close as I get to an "online social network". My real social network involves the good ol' face-to-face kind. Always has, always will. I've set boundaries for online interaction, and over the years I've actually tightened up those boundaries......and I don't do chat-rooms at all anymore either.

I do have a blog that I use mainly as kind of a personal journal (to help me remember important dates, events, and activities), that I update on rare occasions......and it's not open to the general public (I've had it for several years, and it has never been visited by anyone but myself). I also recently dumped my old phone number, and now have an unlisted phone number, no internet access on my cellphone (it's for phone calls only), and I have an email address that only a few (very few) close cohorts know about....I still have my old address for normal usage (and junk mail/spam).

As time goes by, I find that I prefer to be 'invisible' to the world in general. I contact and keep in contact only with those that I want to. I don't care to 'broadcast' or 'advertise' the specifics of my life or true identity. IOW, I relish my privacy. What info about my life that I share here in the forums is done so in anonymity, and could never be used to pick me out in a crowd, so I still have that shroud of privacy.

Of course, all of that having been said, I'm not a 'Young Dreamer' either. I'm simply a happy-go-lucky, fun loving, adventurous, [-]old geezer[/-] ER'd guy. :rolleyes:

I use Facebook. Great way to share pictures and experiences with friends and family. Especially, when like me, your family is spread all over the world.

You can restrict access to as many or as few as you like.

Want2retire, Facebook is not the same as myspace. Facebook started on college campuses and only recently opened up to the public - it's more focused on networking and linking you to friends, associates etc. Myspace has a much younger profile, is more focused on personilizing your space and is easily invaded by outsiders...on facebook people can only see your page if you give them access, which you can also do on myspace, but is not used as often - and kids in particular leave their pages free to public...

Facebook is fun and addictive, you can quickly stay up to date with friends, family, associates, see their vacation, family pics or what they're thinking about on any given day.

It will be interesting to see how this affects the younger generation who have 500+ people on their page once they use it for business vs just personal pleasure, i'm sure it will come in handy.

No, I never went to Facebook but I'm interested (mostly due to curiousity). What's it like? Do you use your real name and real info? What are the rewards? dangers?

The media make it sound scary.

Yeah, you use your real name but as the previous poster mentioned, you can restrict to who sees your pictures and profile and can accept friends....It is kinda fun for me since I went to a few different schools growing up and can chat a bit with old friends...one person moved away in 6th grade and fun to see how things are going with her....Also added a cousin that I would never keep in touch with otherwise.

Yeah, I agree, too much of the internets....:)

I just started using it to keep in touch with my younger relatives and so far I like it. It is a more informal way to know what is going on in their lives.

I didn't answer all the profile questions - seems like an invasion of privacy to me.

I just recently joined Facebook. As others have said, it's a fun way to keep in touch with current and old friends, see pics, etc. I keep all of my info private so only my "friends" can see my pics.

I had one person contact me to be my "friend" that I didn't know - I just refused to "accept" their invitation. I'm sure it was spam.

No problems otherwise so far.

I've been using Facebook about a year. It's the only way my nieces and nephews and some cousins communicate with me. Snail mail and even email is so last century for them.
I hide my birthday, and didn't answer most of the profile questions. I haven't had any problems and have enjoyed keeping up with the youngsters a little more. I try to stay out of their face and not send them too many messages so I don't become the creepy auntie. But we all post photos occasionally and it helps keep us in touch.
My (physically distant) sister and I play a word game through Facebook that partially substitutes for our love of Boggle.

I got a linkedin invitation from one of my friends, but never got into the facebook type sites. I do haunt many forums tho.

Facebook is only dangerous if you're willing to put all your information out there...i.e. work, cell phone number (some people put this on there). But the only people who can see your profile are people you are friends with. It's up to you how safe you want it to be.

But it is a great way to share photos and keep in touch with people.

I am a huge fan of Facebook and Myspace. I have profiles in both places and particularly like finding my old elem, middle and high school classmates on Facebook.
Myspace is good for hooking up with your favorite bands.
Facebook is my real name, Myspace is my screen name. Both are public profiles. And yes, Facebook is addicting! :)

yes, i use facebook.
Mostly to share photos,etc with friends and family.
seems fairly secure, must request permission to view details and content of your page.
you can set seperate security for items like profile, pictures,etc...

Back
Top Bottom