Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else aiming for around $1Mil
Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone else aiming for around $1Mil

I usually don't see specifics talked about here re: actual $ made, saved up, etc. When I look at my calcs, the number that keeps coming up for me that makes the most sense as realistic and in a timeframe I'm happy with is $1Mil in savings and a paid off home. If I get to that, I'd be reasonably confident it would be sufficient. This would be retiring between 45 and 50 and I'm 34 now. I'm also in a profession that would be fairly easy to work part time or on a consulting basis if I ever had to do so. I live in Canada and don't need to worry about health care either. Is this number in the ballpark of what other younger folks are aiming for down the road?
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not "younger folks" as such (52) but FWIW my goal is $3m NW with 5 years expenses in cash and no debt except that which produces cash flow.

But maybe you will have a pension?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't live in Canada.... and I'm not young.... but anyway I think a million would provide a normal middle class income in the U.S. central areas such as the Midwest, where cost of living is reasonable. (It probably wouldn't work near the U.S. coasts in places like NYC, LA, or Seattle). In fact, I don't think a million would be at all necessary for those who live very simply and frugally.

I guess it all depends on what you are used to living on. If/when it is practical, why not try living on the income you would expect from that nestegg and see how it feels?

Some people just wouldn't want to spend any more. Others would.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm from Canada and my goal is also 1 million and a paid of home. I'm 29 and hope to be there by 45 or hopefully earlier. I plan to exaust my RRSP by 65 to get full benefits, and take advantage of the tax free savings acount.
mudguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm not "younger folks" as such (52) but FWIW my goal is $3m NW with 5 years expenses in cash and no debt except that which produces cash flow.

But maybe you will have a pension?
No I will not have a pension from work. I also assume in my calcs I will get nothing from the gov't but I thnk that is unlikely.

$3m NW would likely put you into the top 2 or 3% of NW individuals in the US I imagine.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live on $40,000 so I, too, am aiming for $1MM and a paid off home (I currently have a mortgage). The only unknown is health care. :/
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

i am aiming for 3m before i pull the plug. only need another 700k & i am out the friggin' door, hopefully when i am 45 to 48. (43 now)
knucklehead 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

A great topic. It's interesting to see the spread to the 'what's your number' question, and the thought that goes into it.

I'm 53, and have targeted $1.2M + paid off home + 1300/mo defined benefit pension(COLA'd for 10 years). At that point, I can walk. There's a health care wild-card in there that could screw it up.

If I were 34 with 10-15 years to go, I'd worry that $1M in 15 years might look like $700K does today. But your 'no health care worries' is a BIG risk reducer.

Steve
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Like the OP I am aiming for $1MM and no debt. That's $1MM in 2029 dollars not 2010 dollars. I will be 49 in 2029 and hope to be retired no later than that. I will not have a pension. I'm not sure I will be able to get myself to work long enough to reach $1MM as i'm sure I won't need that much.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

$2MM and a paid off house is the very rough bogey I use, but that is prone to extensive revision when I get there depending on facts and circumstances. We will relocate to a lower cost area and DW or I may dabble in something that would bring in a little money. I have small kids so the timing and expenses are harder to predict.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
Administrator

My target was $1MM at 55 to go along with a non-COLA pension. I also get retiree health insurance but I decided I could go anyway even without retiree health insurance. (I would get my own).

As it happens I exceeded that goal because I had to wait 'til age 55 to get the pension.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #12

My goal was 90% FIRECalc success, but it corresponded to about $1M and Social Security. I retired earlier this year.

Coach
Old 01-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #13

New Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
$1Mil in savings and a paid off home. If I'm 34 now.
It goes without saying that $1M won't be what it is now when you are 50.

using my trusty calculator I project that to have the purchasing value at 50 that $1M represents today you will need...

around $1.6M @ 3% inflation

around $1.9M @ 4% inflation

around $2.2M @ 5% inflation
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #14

Our tenative goal is $1.2M, at which time we hope to both semi-retire (work several months a year, travel the rest). These plans I'm sure will be revised and made more specific as we get closer to the actual semi-retirement date. We are 42 and 46 and hope to be there within the next 5-10 years.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #15

Back about 15 years ago, when ER was just a dream, I thought 1.3 would be a good number.

Allowing for inflation, that number is?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
back about 15 years ago, when er was just a dream, i thought 1.3 would be a good number.

Allowing for inflation, that number is?
$1.97m @ 3%
$2.25m @ 4%
$2.57m @ 5%
Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm aiming for $3.5M plus a paid off house. It's funny, because we live very frugally now so sometimes I don't think I need this much, but we expect to do a lot more spending when we retire. Also, I'm very conservative and do not want to run out of money or ever be a burden to our child. We live in a very HCOL area (metro DC) and that definintely hurts us. If our daughter decides to settle elsewhere, we will likely follow her.
sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My number is probably just a tad over $1 million in today's dollars and a paid off home IF this health insurance thing goes through (here in the US). There will be an extra cushion above that amount to cover "temporary" kid expenses (that will drop close to zero about 10 years after ER - hopefully).

That just over a million figure is at a 4% SWR. I may go with something less, closer to 3%, so might need closer to 1.4-1.5 million. Depends on the situation and circumstances in 7-10 years come FIRE time.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in Northern California and are targeting $1.7MM with no debt and retirement in six years at 55. My wife will have a modest pension (~$1400/mo.) that will hopefully cover health care. I had originally hoped to retire a bit sooner, but my work conditions have improved, so for now, I've decided to stick with it for a few more years.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #20

I always figured about 1.5m with a paid off house for my spouse and I. But I'm sure I'll be willing to look strongly at it with 1m.

I honestly think the determinant will be when my youngest (5y.o.) gets through college.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote