Anyone part of a mastermind group??

Well I was part of a mastermind group. I was self employed and the was invited to join a group of people who were in the same industry. The group membership was protected by zip code so our local competition were excluded.

The success of the group depended on the participation level, and you got out of it what you put into it. I could get answers on marketing, pricing, etc.

I found it to be a great help in my growing our business and our success.

Thought that someone else here was a member of Mensa. :(
As you probably know, there are quite a few ways to qualify besides Mensa's own test. I joined on the strength of my LSAT result (but never attended any meetings, so let it lapse. Still have my membership card filed away).

Know I couldn't qualify anymore. Tried some of the on-line equivalents, and wasn't too pleased. Last time I took the WAIS was in 1989 when I wasn't sure I was going to make retirement, and wanted to change professions, since my previous job was no longer there, and I wasn't too happy in the field.

At the time, there was a huge push towards comprehensive testing, not just of Iq, but temperament, general knowledge, aptitude, and historical success correlations. As I was recovering from cancer, with time on my hands, I took what was then a $200 battery of tests. Recently found the folder of results, and think that the test s might have been predictive for the happiness factor. Was happy then to find that the WAIs 145 was close to the SB tests some 30 years before @ 137 and 139, and that the interest aptitude results really proved that my original field was indeed a bad choice, and as I suspected, should have pointed in the opposite direction.

Water over the dam, but a learning experience where I would counsel younger people to be much more careful in deciding a future field of endeavor. The second part that I'm not so sure of, is whether innate intelligence is long term (as with successful people who seem to go on forever), or if a loss in test results comes from degenerative disease or just plain age. I attribute my failure to dementia onset.

Apparently the jury is still out on the predictive validity of intelligence/aptitude testing. For anyone who has children or grandchildren, my thinking is that a great deal of time and effort should be spent in discovering a suitable field of effort and educational direction. The old adage of "let him find himself" isn't going to work in today's competitive marketplace.

Here's the article... for the most part negative, but with more recent encouraging results.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4557354/

Son and daughter-in-law have spent endless hours in preparation for two grandsons and one granddaughter... first of all getting them in to the right schools, and then through testing and personal counseling...to direct the course of study. Will know more in two years when grandson #1 gets his doctorate. The others are in excellent schools, doing well, and very optimistic. Youngest has a a "Stamp" scholarship.

Yes... I know I went on too long, and maybe too narrow minded, but believe it's a matter that receives too little attention. As we head towards Ai, it will be more difficult to fit round pegs into square holes. Not just a matter of personal success, but for the good of the nation and the world. What won't be changed by genetics or pharmaceuticals, can be accomplished by nurture.

Last edited:
We were once part of an entire town that was run by the government to develop new technology...

Wait, never mind that was a TV show.

We were once part of an entire town that was run by the government to develop new technology...

Wait, never mind that was a TV show.

"Truman? Truman Burbank, is that you?"

So what’s the difference between a mastermind group and a think tank? You hire a think tank and a mastermind membership is for your own benefit? Is that all?

Never heard the term mastermind group before. I prefer think tank; sounds less supercilious.

i'd want to join one when I have stuff together.. I know I'd be in the back of the line if I were in one right now because of my current situation

As someone above said I think of this website as a mastermind group of sorts.

I know a few business owners that participate in groups for their industry.

This group looks pretty elitist but I have read a book written by one of their founders and it's interesting concept for some... GoBundance | The tribe of healthy, wealthy, generous men who choose to lead epic lives!
Interesting... I had never heard of a group on such a large scale as this.

Ours is more a couple buddies who dedicate an evening once a month to talking about finance and business while drinking a few beers.

Ha ha. No family planning occurred on my behalf. My mother told me, "You're a good-looking girl with a good head on your shoulders. You'll do OK." And I did.

Son and daughter-in-law have spent endless hours in preparation for two grandsons and one granddaughter... first of all getting them in to the right schools, and then through testing and personal counseling...to direct the course of study. .

Ha ha. No family planning occurred on my behalf. My mother told me, "You're a good-looking girl with a good head on your shoulders. You'll do OK." And I did.

My parents asked me if I'd considered getting a life sentence in prison as a career path.

Back
Top Bottom