Bad Case Of Senioritis

nakadude

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm finding myself feeling less and less motivated at w*rk. I actually have a great job that I really enjoy, but the grind is getting to me more and more. I have calculated that I'm about 2.5 years away from ER.
My big question is how one pushes through for the next couple of years. When I was in college they called this "senioritis" and quite frankly that's a great description of what I'm battling through.
Any thoughts?

I'm finding myself feeling less and less motivated at w*rk. I actually have a great job that I really enjoy, but the grind is getting to me more and more. I have calculated that I'm about 2.5 years away from ER.
My big question is how one pushes through for the next couple of years. When I was in college they called this "senioritis" and quite frankly that's a great description of what I'm battling through.
Any thoughts?

Senioritis is caused by a lack of challenges to your daily routine. Look for ways to make your current work life more challenging. Maybe take on a project outside of your normal realm.

Good luck,

VW

I left the company and started a small biz for coasting. Definitely what the doctor ordered. No commute and building stuff I like. The past 5 years, driving less than 3k miles vs the 15k from the "normal" commute. Probably half the time of w*rking as normal too. I don't mind the w*rk 95% of the time.

Try to schedule some special treats or events for yourself, i.e. vacations, stay-cations, take up a hobby, etc.

Also - try to appreciate that you have a job that is better than what a lot of people have to endure.

It helps to keep focused on the goal and endgame. The job is now the means to that end, but it still needs to be done, it may no longer motivate but making the transition smooth and leaving in good grace has merit.

Senioritis is caused by a lack of challenges to your daily routine. Look for ways to make your current work life more challenging. Maybe take on a project outside of your normal realm.

Good luck,

VW

This is a good point. If your job has been your primary source of challenge it might help to find something to replace it.

In meetings, say what you want to say, not what everyone expects you to say. Tell it like it is, with no sugarcoating. Remain professional but don't hold back. During big presentations with the top brass, call them out on decisions they made that had negative effects on productivity and profitability. In my case, it made my last years fun, but it did have the unintended consequence of a promotion from a higherup who actually enjoyed the candor and found it refreshing. I hear from time to time that there's still talk about some of the things that happened five years ago. Go out on a high note.

Last edited:
So sorry....

But I do not understand this... a job is a way to make money, not to 'enjoy' life... sure, it helps if it does but I never did think that my job defined who I am...

Now, a new job might bring you back to what you want... it usually did for me... but in the end I wanted a paycheck and that is what I got...

Having a countdown timer until the goal date helps even if just to remind that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

In meetings, say what you want to say, not what everyone expects you to say. Tell it like it is, with no sugarcoating. Remain professional but don't hold back. During big presentations with the top brass, call them out on decisions they made that had negative effects on productivity and profitability. In my case, it made my last years fun, but it did have the unintended consequence of a promotion from a higherup who actually enjoyed the candor and found it refreshing. I hear from time to time that there's still talk about some of the things that happened five years ago. Go out on a high note.

Or, it could really bug some sensitive higher up that some member of the staff would wonder if there were better options/procedures.
They then could decide to include the questioning person in the next layoff round.

Which is what happened to me. :popcorn:

Try to schedule some special treats or events for yourself, i.e. vacations, stay-cations, take up a hobby, etc.

Also - try to appreciate that you have a job that is better than what a lot of people have to endure.

Agree. I made sure I used my vacation time each year, even if I didn't "go" somewhere, I was able to be away from work. Although, in management, I still had to answer emails and phone calls:-(

Having a countdown timer until the goal date helps even if just to remind that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes, this helps. I had two on my phone. One countdown on total calendar days, and one on actual work days. That one was fun, as it took into account weekends, holidays, days off, vacations, etc. The days left on it was much smaller than the other count down!

It also helped to look at certain tasks during the time, especially as the retirement date got closer. "well, that's the last time I will do X" .

Best Wishes. This time will go faster than you think and your retirement date will soon be here!

I'm not the OP, but can relate - lots of really good suggestions/comments here!

Or, it could really bug some sensitive higher up that some member of the staff would wonder if there were better options/procedures.
They then could decide to include the questioning person in the next layoff round.

He's only 2.5 years out, so in that scenario he gets a package aka paid vacation. I don't see much downside. And the fun he can have will make the time go quickly. When I was 2.5 years from ER, I knew I had won the game and was no longer beholden financially to anyone. Doesn't get much better than that. Time to enjoy!

Last edited:

In my company that would turn OPs 2.5 years into 2.5 hours. No need to go looking for trouble when so close to the finish line, IMO.

(Yes, I was "top brass" and it's not about embarrassing the boss, it's about "becoming a disruptive personality". HR is four doors down bud, they're expecting you.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom