Best way to price-out comparable insurance (car + renters + umbrella)

Hermes

Dryer sheet wannabe
How do I actually price-out comparable insurance? When I try to do this on sites like Progressive, they don't let me modify things like deductibles and coverage rates so I can actually compare apples to apples. I wish there was just a way to email them my policy and say "Here, tell me your price for the exact same coverage").

I have:
  • Car insurance
  • Renter's insurance
  • Personal liability umbrella policy

And would prefer to have one company that covers all three.

State Farm raised my rates again and so, even though I've always had good experiences with them, it's time for me to price-out other companies.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Several threads recently on this. Short version: Interview a few independent agents and pick a couple to shop your business.

We have been with State Farm over 40 years. Never found anyone that could give a better rate.

They all make it as difficult as possible online by design, I know because I get new quotes every other year or so. Geico has spaced my home, auto, umbrella premium due dates out to make switching seem harder too, but they remain competitive so far after Liberty Mutual took advantage of our “loyalty.”

With umbrella - shopping online is limited. It generally requires other coverages in place (such as highest liability on auto, or maybe $500k, etc)

Therefore, sometimes you can’t make direct comparisons as sometimes the puzzle pieces are different.

When we moved to TX in a hurricane area - it’s very complicated. There are 3 different coverages for home - and commonly with 3 different companies - flood, wind/hail and all other peril. Similar to umbrella, the all other peril may stipulate coverages on other policies - but not offer that coverage.

Some companies link umbrella with home others link it with auto, some with both!

How do I actually price-out comparable insurance? When I try to do this on sites like Progressive, they don't let me modify things like deductibles and coverage rates so I can actually compare apples to apples. I wish there was just a way to email them my policy and say "Here, tell me your price for the exact same coverage").

I have:
  • Car insurance
  • Renter's insurance
  • Personal liability umbrella policy

And would prefer to have one company that covers all three.

State Farm raised my rates again and so, even though I've always had good experiences with them, it's time for me to price-out other companies.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Even if you could compare the rates, cheapest isn't always the best

I shop around yearly and despite Geigo raising my rates 37/month for the past year no one else comes close. I have been afraid to use them for home insurance because they contract it out to another company.

The entire PC industry is in turmoil right now. The company with the best rates today is the one that may be raising their rates even higher in the near future.

I agree with the comments above that "cheapest" may not be "best".

I would also agree with the comment to contact a couple independent agents and take their advice on coverages and limits. I've seen online quotes lowball some important coverages, particularly Uninsured & Underinsured motorist coverages. Some Homeowners quotes may or may not include coverages you need, such as water/sewer backup if you have a basement, or refrigerated foods coverage. Some people need it, others don't.

A good agency will run you through a checklist before even offering you a proposal. If I owned a house I'd insist the agent come out and personally see it. I also prefer to have a company that is located (domiciled) in the state where I live. They're a lot less likely to run for cover if things get tough and they're more likely to respond to regulators.

I also like a brick and mortar agency where I can go and sit down with the person who sold me the policy if there is a problem.

Another important point for independent agents vs online shopping: An agent working for you will have had experience enough to steer you away from companies that behave poorly when claims are made. Also, since that agent will probably have a number of clients with a company, that company is more vulnerable to pressure from him than the company would be for a single retail customer. In the latter case they don't really care whether you stay or go.

Thanks all.

Update on this: A couple different brokers priced-out all insurances for me. None could touch State Farm's pricing. Perhaps loyalty? I've been with them for about 20 years.

Price insurance yourself online also. My story, I went to 2 independent agents this past year to reprice my insurance. They didn't come close to online brokers.
Just sayin... It pays to shop around.

Back
Top Bottom