Join Early Retirement Today

Bill Bernstein's "If You Can" Kindle Book for Millennials Free Today and Tomorrow
Old 01-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bill Bernstein's "If You Can" Kindle Book for Millennials Free Today and Tomorrow

Bill Bernstein's book for millennials titled "If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly" is available for free downloading as a Kindle book at amazon.com today and tomorrow (January 29 and 30).

Link:https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Mi...+can+bernstein

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Highly recommended whether Kindle or pdf (always free at etf.com). I give them out like mardi gras beads (well, without the required flashing!) to my young relatives and friends/coworkers.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #3

PDF at etf.com is found at: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've lost respect for Bernstein after his sharp right turn after the Great Recession... I can't recommend reading him to young people even if it is free.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

I've sent the PDF to my kids, and his overall advice in this document is very solid IMHO.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

When looking at the Amazon link, it appears the book is free IF you subscribe to kindle unlimited.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I've lost respect for Bernstein after his sharp right turn after the Great Recession... I can't recommend reading him to young people even if it is free.

EDITED: I was out of the loop in 08-09; ignore my post, in light of elucidation below!

?? Right turn? I wasn't aware that his advice changed after 2008. Or, was it something political? (If the latter, I ignore extraneous political views if advice/analysis looks strong; if not, I'd be on an island all by my lonesome!)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

His advice became much more conservative ... too conservative IMO... a sharp right turn was perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
His advice became much more conservative ... too conservative IMO... a sharp right turn was perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.
So, "sharp right turn" is a bad choice of words but "too conservative" isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
?? Right turn? I wasn't aware that his advice changed after 2008. Or, was it something political? (If the latter, I ignore extraneous political views if advice/analysis looks strong; if not, I'd be on an island all by my lonesome!)
pb4uski's choice of words was fine in both cases. It seems that Mr. Bernstein's advice on asset allocation changed after the sharp market decline of '08 to one where he recommends more saving, lower withdrawal rates, a much higher allocation to financially conservative assets like fixed income. Loss averse. Bernstein attributes this to the behavioral attributes of his customer base who sold at the market lows and stayed out as the markets recovered, locking in losses.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for bringing it up anyway. I have been trying to remember which notable investment guru had changed his mind and said "Bonds usually keep up with inflation anyway" and recommended an all or nearly all bond AA after retirement
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Bernstein attributes this to the behavioral attributes of his customer base who sold at the market lows and stayed out as the markets recovered, locking in losses.
And since the fearless steely-eyed investors on this forum would never do that, Bernstein's "new and improved" advice isn't as well-regarded as it once was - at least not in my view.

You may not know it but I'm quite famous

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Bernstein's The Four Pillars of Investing was my favorite investing book, my portfolio was/is based on the tenets of that book. His earlier books were along the same lines, just more technical.

But he changed radically after 2008, reportedly because (many of) his well heeled investors became panic sellers at exactly the wrong time. He concluded that if his sophisticated upper crust clients couldn't stay composed based on market history and hold the course in a downturn, certainly none of us could be trusted. His advice now is shocking in comparison, it hurts to read most of his more recent writings.

At least John Bogle didn't do a 180 after 2008 like Bernstein...

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #13

Ah, that makes sense. My apologies for misreading pb4uski. (I put a note on the first post.)

I was not paying much attention to investment philosophies/advice in 2008-09, as I had just "unretired" from being SAHD and was excited about having an additional income to pump into the stock market .

Strange that he hadn't educated his clients well enough to avoid them bailing out. That has always struck me as one of the least weak arguments for some folks to hire an advisor.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Strange that he hadn't educated his clients well enough to avoid them bailing out. That has always struck me as one of the least weak arguments for some folks to hire an advisor.
In my view, Bernstein did educate his clients better than any other investment writer I know of. He made the most compelling market history case based case for holding on through ups and downs of anyone I read, more detailed and therefore convincing than even Bogle/Vanguard. Why some of his clients panicked anyway, obviously shook Bernstein. Most here did not panic before, during or after 2008.

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
In my view, Bernstein did educate his clients better than any other investment writer I know of. He made the most compelling market history case based case for holding on through ups and downs of anyone I read, more detailed and therefore convincing than even Bogle/Vanguard. Why some of his clients panicked anyway, obviously shook Bernstein. Most here did not panic before, during or after 2008.
+1. I've been disappointed in Bernstein's post-2008 writings, and I am a huge fan of his earlier work. I think he's now incorporated the emotional lessons he took from the behavior of his clients during the crash, and has applied the lessons with too broad a brush. While his "liability-matching" mantra might work for some, it will probably encourage a lot of people to continue to confuse "volatility" with "risk", and get lower returns as a result.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

and work much longer than they would need to if they chose a more traditional funding approach.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #17

Good points, all. Thanks for the education!

Still, for those just starting out, I think the "if you can" pamphlet is worth passing along.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

"The Little Book of Money: Book excerpts from Jack Bogle, Ben Stein, Joel Greenblatt, Louis Navellier, Hilary Kramer, Kathy Lien, David Darst, Michael Covel, and John Stephenson"

Also free at Amazon. I came across it yesterday. It has the first chapter of each book.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmorton View Post
Bill Bernstein's book for millennials titled "If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly" is available for free downloading as a Kindle book at amazon.com today and tomorrow (January 29 and 30).

Link:https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Mi...+can+bernstein

Great! Thanks for posting this!!!!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, but I don't get the Bernstein bashing. After reading his "Ages of the Investor" in 2012, I have been using his liability matching ideas. For us, it was not that dramatic. First, liability matching is only for base spending in excess of pensions, SS, etc. You can be as aggressive as you like for your assets supporting discretionary spending. Second, he considers half of one's equity dividends as safe for liability matching purposes. So the change for us was moving to a TIPS ladder. We were already in the process of shifting equity to fixed income anyway. TIPS make sense for us since our pensions are non-COLA and fixed (maybe inadequate) COLA. Our ladder need go out only to age 70 (from ER at 57) because if we take SS at that age, SS, our pensions (if inflation leaves any spending power), plus dividends should be enough for base spending.

Everyone using the 4% rule or similar spending levels combined with a volatile portfolio is just betting that the future looks no worse than the past. That's not a bet I want to take. If I don't fill that straight, I might have to go back to work.

Svensk Anga is offline   Reply With Quote