Join Early Retirement Today

Bizarre interview happening
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bizarre interview happening

So I have been going through an extended interview process with a small firm. I am close to concluding that it is not worth the trouble, but I am about at the end of the process and I applied in part because I know one of the partners. The oddest thing happened today. I had the final interview last Thursday and figured I was done. This afternoon I got an email to the effect of "Hi, I am XYZ. I missed the interview when you came in last week and would like to chat with you for 30 minutes tomorrow by phone." He copied nobody else in the firm and as far as I know he will be the only one on the line.

I have never seen this in 20+ years of job searches. Neither has DW who makes a living as a career counselor. This strikes me as something that HR would never let an individual do because of the discrimination lawsuit potential, but the employer is so small they do not have HR.

Anyone seen something like this?

"See their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other.
See, I'm not a monster... I'm just ahead of the curve."

- The Joker
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

I've had 1 on 1 phone interviews... but never after going through many previous interviews.

What do you have to lose?

Old 08-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When I got the job I retired from, the only interview I had was by telephone. But, they had discreetly nosed around among those who knew me and had worked with me, asked about me, and had a pretty good idea of what I would be like.

I read online about telephone interviewing, and it said to smile while you talk even though they couldn't see it, because it would make you seem like more of a go-getter. Don't know if that was true, but I smiled like a crazy person through the whole interview and got the job.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've had 1 on 1 phone interviews... but never after going through many previous interviews.

What do you have to lose?
Not a lot at this point. It is yet another warning sign about this place to me, though. If my buddy were not vouching for them, I would have walked away a long time ago because the interview process has been pretty strange.
"See their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other.

- The Joker
Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I have never seen this in 20+ years of job searches. Neither has DW who makes a living as a career counselor. This strikes me as something that HR would never let an individual do because of the discrimination lawsuit potential, but the employer is so small they do not have HR.
Phone interviews and discrimination lawsuit potential? I don't see the connection.

If an individual does something on the phone that would invite a lawsuit, why would they do something differently in person?

As a hiring manager, I always started the process with a 30-minute phone screen, before anyone was brought in house.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I read online about telephone interviewing, and it said to smile while you talk even though they couldn't see it, because it would make you seem like more of a go-getter. Don't know if that was true, but I smiled like a crazy person through the whole interview and got the job.
I actually recommend you "talk" to a mirror on any phone call of importance, like this. Not only will you smile more, but overall your expressions and tone will match your face more, as you would in person. It sort of tricks your brain a bit vs. the barrier of a phone.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I actually recommend you "talk" to a mirror on any phone call of importance, like this. Not only will you smile more, but overall your expressions and tone will match your face more, as you would in person. It sort of tricks your brain a bit vs. the barrier of a phone.
Great tip! son#2 has a phone interview today and I just forwarded this to him!
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can always ask your friend who works there if this is standard procedure.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
You can always ask your friend who works there if this is standard procedure.
I did. Apparently nothing is standardized there.

- The Joker
Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Phone interviews and discrimination lawsuit potential? I don't see the connection.

If an individual does something on the phone that would invite a lawsuit, why would they do something differently in person?

As a hiring manager, I always started the process with a 30-minute phone screen, before anyone was brought in house.
+1

Same here, 35 years as a hiring manager for a large health care system. I've conducted countless 1 on 1 interviews with candidates on the phone and in person.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #11

It depends a little bit on the position, but what you describe doesn't sound that crazy to me (although you indicate that there were other curious parts to the process?). For key hires who have to fit into existing teams, managers and team leaders may want to get a "personal vibe" so it may be as simple as they say - guy missed the interview and wants to see if the two of you might jive. I remember going much further than this and bringing key people in for a second on-site interview (and this was a Mega, not a small outfit) in such situations. From a business standpoint, there are very few mistakes that are costlier than a bad hire.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Not a lot at this point. It is yet another warning sign about this place to me, though. If my buddy were not vouching for them, I would have walked away a long time ago because the interview process has been pretty strange.
Well, the guy does have access to your email address, and he also knows you're being interviewed for a job, so odds are it is a legitimate request. You can clear that up in the beginning of the phone interview by just confirming that XYZ should have been in on the interview (even though the email states that).

If you have concerns about working for that business, another interview with someone different is probably a good thing. If exposes you to one more person that you would have to work with, letting you see if there is any good chemistry.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #13

Quote:
This strikes me as something that HR would never let an individual do because of the discrimination lawsuit potential
How's that again?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think even small places now look for a social media trail of prospective employees. There is even a technique to do something 'interesting' during the hiring process and then see if it appears shortly thereafter in social media as a way of identifying the internet footprint of someone. It's about as routine as a drug test nowadays I think.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I think even small places now look for a social media trail of prospective employees. There is even a technique to do something 'interesting' during the hiring process and then see if it appears shortly thereafter in social media as a way of identifying the internet footprint of someone. It's about as routine as a drug test nowadays I think.
These guys are highly unlikely to be that sophisticated. I imagine they look at one's linkedin profile and that is about it. I have increasingly little to do with social media these days anyway, so no worries there.

The weirdness here is the one on one after all the other group interviews. Never seen it before.

- The Joker
Old 08-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spidey sense is telling you this might not be a good fit for you. Not b/c of the phone interview but the casualness / lack of structure, which seems to be putting you off.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Spidey sense is telling you this might not be a good fit for you. Not b/c of the phone interview but the casualness / lack of structure, which seems to be putting you off.
Yet I can see where they are going and have a heavy hitter vouching for them. Appropriate compensation will make me willing to take a leap.

- The Joker
Old 08-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #18

I always treated a job interview, even if I was not overly interested, as good practice.

You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Why not simply attend the phone interview?
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I always treated a job interview, even if I was not overly interested, as good practice.

You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Why not simply attend the phone interview?
Just finished it. I just thought the request was strange.

- The Joker
Old 08-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #20

The company sounds a bit disorganized. You have to wonder who is running the show. Or maybe they are just really informal, although that would be unusual for a non-tech company.

Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote