Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Break out the "new Milestone" threads
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Break out the "new Milestone" threads

Seems when the market rips higher, we always get the "new milestone" threads. Never see the contrary on the way down though. Anyway, keep em coming, I always enjoy reading them!
drb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I was on a deserted island over the past few months, I would have never known I was down $50K, then back up $50K.

Sometimes it's better not to look, but I look anyway.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm worried; up 8.4% for the year, contrary to how I feel it should be performing.

good thing I rebalance as needed and go off of my allocation rather than gut feeling.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #4

[quote=drb111;561469]Seems when the market rips higher, we always get the "new milestone" threads. Never see the contrary on the way down though...quote]

I report on the way and on the way down ... http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post485686
Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #5

My investment portfolio broke the $300k mark again. Just did the third quarter financial statement and I'm at 12% returns YTD and 2.95% for the quarter.

Only a million bucks to go, and I'm FIRE!!!!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At this rate, my next milestone will be in Feb 2008. I say that only because I'm not superstitious.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Portfolio high of around $320k in 2000. Dropped to around $157k in 2002... Surpassed 2000 high in 2006. Onward and upward!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't celebrate milestones.......maybe I should??

Ok, when my NW hits $2Million, I'll let you guys know.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I don't celebrate milestones.......maybe I should??

Ok, when my NW hits $2Million, I'll let you guys know.......
Nice to count by millions, isn't it?

Still, milestones at this level are in $100K increments.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I woke up this morning and I wasn't in a cooler with a tag on my toe. Another wonderful milestone!!

15 months into RE with no salary or pension and this week I was able to yet again pay for groceries and booze. Another wonderful milestone!

Oh sorry....... this area is for "young dreamer" milestones........
Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I just went over $50K in my 401k and that was pretty cool, since I've only had it since Sept 2005. And just opened up a tiny account in one of the hedge funds that our company runs--just a start, but too cool! Pretty exciting times.

I LOVE the accumulation phase, no matter what you already FIREd folks say about your great leisure lifestyle! ...well, not really!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I just went over $50K in my 401k and that was pretty cool, since I've only had it since Sept 2005. And just opened up a tiny account in one of the hedge funds that our company runs--just a start, but too cool! Pretty exciting times.

I LOVE the accumulation phase, no matter what you already FIREd folks say about your great leisure lifestyle! ...well, not really!
The best would be to maximize your accumulations (through IRA & 401(k)), and yet still have the absolute financial freedom to do what you want.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Nice to count by millions, isn't it?

Still, milestones at this level are in $100K increments.
Cool......wrong forum for me,then........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
If I was on a deserted island over the past few months, I would have never known I was down $50K, then back up $50K.

Sometimes it's better not to look, but I look anyway.
That's about what I expected from the recent market kerfluffle: by the end of the year it would just be an unpleasant memory, just like in 1998. Pretty much turned out that way so far, and I am glad I took the opportunity to hoover up some quality stuff on the cheap.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, according to networthiq (Track, share, and compare Net Worth. How do you measure up? NetworthIQ), we passed $400k networth ($415k) last month. We're aiming at around $1.25M networth for retirement purposes (and will likely go higher before pulling the plug, but I think that's our FI amount at least).

My earliest entry on the site is from August 2006 (1 year 1 month ago) where our networth was $290k. So around 40% gain in one year isn't too bad. If we can keep it up, we'll be fired in 5 years easily.. though I won't hold my breath.

Edit: Side note, I think it's neat how it changes my link to be the title of the site. Makes the techie in me giggle.
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

According to my networthIQ page, I finally have a positive networth. Woohoo! Granted, it's becasue there's some equity in our house, but I'm ok with that. I was so sick of seeing the (-____) for all of my figures, now I don't have to anymore!
Miss_Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I woke up this morning and I wasn't in a cooler with a tag on my toe. Another wonderful milestone!!
I once met an old guy who said to me "every day on this side of the grass is a good day."
Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #18

I hit a new milestone back in July, breaking the $400K barrier for the first time. And as crazy as the market has been since then, I've broken that barrier six more times! Three times going down, three times coming back up. Then, as of Monday evening, I hit a new peak, around $431K, and joked that I could take Tuesday off from work if I wanted to. Tuesday morning comes around and I throw out my back taking the recycle bin to the curb, and my little prophecy came true!

Oh well...next stop, $500K!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Andre! If I throw in my home equity (not that old saw again!), then I can get up there in the over $500k department. You are killing it! That is awesome!
Hope your back gets better--that's what you get for having so many liquor bottles in the recycling bin! just kidding!
When we lived on Folly Beach, a little hippie enclave, the "fancy beer police" neighbors would comment if you had expensive beer or liquor bottles in the bin...so we were always careful to put a layer of PBR cans on the top to keep our "cool factor" going.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We hit a milestone on Monday. 500k. (in investable assets only - we rent.) I'm really happy with it. I'm also aware it could be significantly less that that in another couple months. Both of our cars are one breakdown away from needing replaced, and I am about to resign from my job with no next gig lined up, and frankly unsure what field I'd even like to try to get into.

Still, having that much put away, and watching the big growing chunks of dividends getting reinvested lets me realize that I am financially able to make that decision, and not feel forced to stay in a job that is making me miserable.

Lots of question marks out there, but we have no debt, my wife's income is stable and strong (and she makes almost 2x the hourly rate that I do with less misery). After all, it is just a job. It shouldn't be equated with my life, and frankly it's taken way too much of my life over the past year or so.
tricky88 is offline   Reply With Quote