Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Can I Go Live In A Cave Now?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can I Go Live In A Cave Now?

Bleah. Had 10 kinds of crap kicked out of me all week at work, with virtual certainty that it continues uninterrupted next week and a healthy chance of a weekend beating. Stop the machine, I am going to puke.

Seems like I have not had a day to just recharge in a long time despite the fact that I actually geta lot of time off. When I am home there are kids, dogs, household maintenance projects and a million other things I have to deal with. Maybe it is a bad time at work along with shortening days, but I feel pretty worn out. Any suggestions on how to recharge? Unfortunately I have a few more years to go in my current rut.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Going out on the water for 3-4 hours or more with DW, usually on a sailboat, always works for me.

A nature walk.

Go someplace you'd like to go that you've never been before, all the new/novelty will occupy your mind.

And even if you can't, this too shall pass...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

When I feel like that I just slow down and take time for me . Maybe you & your wife need to hire a babysitter & have an evening for just the two of you ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Next question.
Attached Images
File Type: gif drinkup.gif (545 Bytes, 493 views)
Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hey, Dude! How long has it been since you brewed some good stuff?

Sorry things are spinning so fast for you right now. Sounds miserable!

Audrey
Old 10-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Any chance of using a week of vacation time soon? Maybe it would help to get away to someplace peaceful, serene, beautiful, and remote. You do have that new RV for camping, and the country is full of wilderness.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing like a long walk in the fallen fall leaves. As you walk you can smell their beautiful aroma. You can kick piles of them in the air for stress releaf.
With each step you can feel the cares melt away.

Free to canoe

Idea 1 - don't sweat the small stuff
Idea 2 - it is all small stuff
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think you need to find some huntin' buddies. I know lots of guys who get into the same place you are and they rent a cabin in the woods to go hunting. Usually no actual hunting takes place, just drinking, card playing, and time away from spousal units, kids, pets and bosses.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If all else fails (look closely at the design) ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suicide-gun-1.jpg (11.5 KB, 455 views)

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Brewer, don't you have a man-cave or den where you can go and growl to yourself occasionally?

Everyone else just learns to stay away when they hear a low "grr-r-r-r" coming out of the den.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I think you need to find some huntin' buddies. I know lots of guys who get into the same place you are and they rent a cabin in the woods to go hunting. Usually no actual hunting takes place, just drinking, card playing, and time away from spousal units, kids, pets and bosses.
Sounds lovely. I can think of at least three non-hunting buddies that would be ideal for such a trip.

I told DW tonight that I really need some down time and got a frosty response. Is it cheating if I take a day off, don't tell her, disappear at the appointed time for work and just go find a place to hide for a day?

- George Orwell

Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Nothing like a long walk in the fallen fall leaves. As you walk you can smell their beautiful aroma. You can kick piles of them in the air for stress releaf.

Free to canoe

Idea 1 - don't sweat the small stuff
Idea 2 - it is all small stuff
Mr. Canoe, you could be a therapist. I feel way more relaxed just reading your words and imagining how great it would feel. I hope it helped Brewer as much.

Ha
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sounds lovely. I can think of at least three non-hunting buddies that would be ideal for such a trip.

I told DW tonight that I really need some down time and got a frosty response. Is it cheating if I take a day off, don't tell her, disappear at the appointed time for work and just go find a place to hide for a day?
You get a day or two alone or with your buds and then she gets a day or two alone or with her buds. When each of you are home alone with the kids you get to have a babysitter help.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hell no. I had an uncle did did that at least once a week for years. Occasionally he had non-spousal feminine companionship. He was so relaxed he was hard to kill. When he was in his mid 80s he took a direct hit from lightning. He still hung on in critical care for 6 weeeks after that.

Anyway, it is impossible to cheat if your goal is to maintain your mental health and keep the family income coming in. People used to realize that, and they may again if this recession drags on.

Ha
Old 10-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
You get a day or two alone or with your buds and then she gets a day or two alone or with her buds. When each of you are home alone with the kids you get to have a babysitter help.
<sound of bitter laughter>

Sounds like a very unrealistic fantasy.

- George Orwell

Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Is it cheating if I take a day off, don't tell her, disappear at the appointed time for work and just go find a place to hide for a day?

No, It's considered taking care of your mental health ! Go for it !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No, It's considered taking care of your mental health ! Go for it !
I have to say that it makes me deeply sad to think that this sort of thing is necessary. Will require some rumination with the aid of bourbon.

- George Orwell

Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yep. Take time to do a hobby, or just time away from "the norm". Basically, the only thing that allows me to slog through the day-to-day monotony is a new book on a interesting subject (non-fiction/history, etc.), exercise, hunting/fishing or massive alcohol intake.

The other problem is the occasional spousal double standard. Selfish when you take time for yourself, but perfectly fine for her to do after she's reached the breaking point. I think we're in the same boat here.

-CC
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Men, take back the night. Your children depend on you.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have to say that it makes me deeply sad to think that this sort of thing is necessary. Will require some rumination with the aid of bourbon meds.
My work is never done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Exactly what I did today. I really don't have any stress, but I did it anyway. Pic from today's hike. Fall colors not quite here yet, but on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 090.jpg (1.04 MB, 7 views)