Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Can you guess the salary?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can you guess the salary?

Just a reality check and a bit of fun:

Position: manage 32 staff and 27 contracts for budget reponsibility of $7.25 billion. Contracts provide health insurance, including and health care services and speciality services (such as disease management) covering about 750,000 lives for poor and ill individuals. Responsible for negotiating and developing per member per month contract fees, ensuring quality of care, addressing comsumer compliants, etc. Services must comply with state and federal laws. Also reponsible for development of new and innovative systems of care. Travel and overtime required (yes it says that)

What do you think the salary should be? On Tuesday, I will provide what the salary range actually is.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Can you guess the salary?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm assuming a US government position - $125,000.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Government Job: $100,000

Private Industry: $750,000

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Govt - $90k, plus travel reimbursement.

Private - $150k
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The salary should be at an appropriate level to attract highly qualified people eager to take on the job. The candidate should be selected through competitive interviewing.

I have no idea what the absolute value of the salary should be. There must be data for jobs with similar roles/responsibilities and requiring similar skill sets available to use as a starting point.

The real "reality check" is how much $$$ it takes to attract qualified applicants, not a listing of the job responsibilities.

Before I RE'd, I was dramatically underpaid at Megacorp! My job required lots of all the positive employee attributes you could ever think of and the assumption of tremendous responsibility. I should have received 10X my salary! But damn, I never got it because it seemed like there was always a long line of other folks who could do the job and who were waiting for me to slip up so they could get it!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #6

The president of the US makes $200k. Right? I'm guessing in that ballpark.

-CC
Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
The president of the US makes $200k. Right?
Right. But his expense is at least 100 times that. I wonder if/when and on what our president actually spends his own money?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #8

fyi - the pres makes $400,000 now.

Too see what fed employees make, see 2007 Salary Tables and Related Information.
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #9

Does anybody take a government job for the salary? I thought it was all about fat pensions, double dipping after retirement, free healthcare, and potentially lucrative consulting gigs.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Does anybody take a government job for the salary? I thought it was all about fat pensions, double dipping after retirement, free healthcare, and potentially lucrative consulting gigs.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Don't forget never having to worry about being laid off for underproducing and being completely insulated from the competitive dog-eat-dog real world economy.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm thinking if government, $95K. If private sector, $500K. I'm probably way off.
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #13

NOT ENOUGH
Old 02-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Right. But his expense is at least 100 times that. I wonder if/when and on what our president actually spends his own money?
I'm guessing most of them forget what their credit cards looked like.

Remember Bush Sr. being amazed when he saw the bar code scanner at the supermarket?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #15

What is being left out is the location (city, state) where such employment exists.

If the job exists on the coasts in on of the "popular" cities then I'd add a delta - maybe 50% from some of the numbers given above.

If the job exists in the midwest, south then I'd subtract a delta maybe 20-25%
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I'm guessing most of them forget what their credit cards looked like.

Remember Bush Sr. being amazed when he saw the bar code scanner at the supermarket?
Yes. Clinton tried using his credit card once but it had expired.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g
fyi - the pres makes $400,000 now.

Too see what fed employees make, see 2007 Salary Tables and Related Information.
Alright, we'll split the difference then. Let's guess $300k. Probably too high.

-CC
Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
It wasn't that he was amazed at a bar code reader.
It was that the bar code reader was able to correctly read a partical bar code.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #19

Salary range: 52,900-75,900. Generally the state (Florida) pays new hires within 10% of the base, although for this a mid-range salary is likely. :P

Thanks for the replies.

NOT ENOUGH
[/quote]
You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
[quote=tryan ]

Bingo! There is a consulting firm in town, they have about 10 small offices around the country, and primarily serve state health care programs. Good $$, but they only hire people who have survived the agency work.

This position doesn’t allow any w*rk/life balance and doesn’t pay enough to foster FIRE. (unless you want to go on the road for the above mentioned consultants after your indentured time.) The woman who had the job just had a baby. Guess she decided not to return.

Finally, with this salary, you don’t get the best or most qualified. You hire young and inexperienced. Generally the agency can find staff who are reasonably competent, but in over their heads. You need a strong knowledgeable manager to make this work. Without that, the contractors have the upper hand - better understanding of the finances and better skilled negotiators. We have seen many contracts that favored the contractor’s bottom line to the clear detriment of prudent use of state resources and quality of care. Low taxes = low salary = you get what you pay for.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

...and then we wonder why politicians do a poor job much of the time... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote