College Spending Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul was last certified by the National Board of Ophthalmologists which was run by Paul, his wife, and his father in law.

Ron Paul set him up in the family political business. As an opthamologist, he was a fine politician.

I wouldn't want him prodding at my peepers. That's for sure. I also think it's ridiculous that he argues with physicians who don't have their own certification board certifying them, and instead go with national certification.

In other news, I have set up the ScoopKona Pilots Certification Board. Care to go flying with me? I have never had a lesson. ;-)

How wonderful we have a big Rand Paul fan posting here. You brought him up first and have mentioned him several times now. We get your point...

We have excellent CC at low cost and many programs in place to assist low and middle income families.

And how is this different from "students springboard from an AA to better and better schools."

This is a common path today. Just like "get accepted to the best school possible and work through school until graduation" was once also a common path. Economic necessity drives this.

As for "Dr." Paul -- the point stands. He is proof that a STEM degree isn't a punched-ticket to a high salary career. There are many such physicians who can obtain the degree, and then get tripped up in the licensing process.

Frankly, I'm glad for the certifying boards -- they catch physicians who would otherwise slip through the cracks. Same with state bar exams, CPA exams and similar.

I don't know how many schools still believe in the concept of "the gentleman's C." But I don't want such people performing brain surgery, doing my taxes, or representing me in court.

And how is this different from "students springboard from an AA to better and better schools."

This is a common path today. Just like "get accepted to the best school possible and work through school until graduation" was once also a common path. Economic necessity drives this.

As for "Dr." Paul -- the point stands. He is proof that a STEM degree isn't a punched-ticket to a high salary career. There are many such physicians who can obtain the degree, and then get tripped up in the licensing process.

Frankly, I'm glad for the certifying boards -- they catch physicians who would otherwise slip through the cracks. Same with state bar exams, CPA exams and similar.

I don't know how many schools still believe in the concept of "the gentleman's C." But I don't want such people performing brain surgery, doing my taxes, or representing me in court.

Do you have any actual sources / links that Rand Paul is not an actual surgeon, was not a licensed medical doctor or not certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology?

Do you have any actual sources / links that Rand Paul is not an actual surgeon, was not a licensed medical doctor or not certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology?

He let his certification lapse to try his family-affair "board." That's the part that is clown-shoes. By all accounts, he wouldn't be anyone's first choice -- hence the "me, my wife and dad" certification board.

He also does not hold a bachelor's degree. To be fair, Duke didn't require one at the time. But they do now. He has lied about this, claiming to hold degrees in biology and English. He does not.

Commendable pro-bono work aside, his academic and medical career is best described as "sketchy." If he wanted to stay certified, he should have done so.

Again, I think he's a good example of "STEM is no guarantor of a high-dollar STEM career." Just like a liberal arts degree is no guarantor of a lower income. It all boils down to the individual. I could have picked any number of failed doctors who obtained the degree but washed out later. Paul is just well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom