Join Early Retirement Today

Could you retire at 38?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
gone traveling

Could you retire at 38?

No, but my EW did...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We also didn't have children. That definitely made it possible at the time.
Audrey
That was a big reason...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I had no loans to pay off, but I still couldn't do it. At age 38 (1995) I had no debt. I had not yet started to calculate NW, but I estimate it was ~$250K. That would have given me a SWR of $10K.
Similar scenario, for me. Except I was 38 in year 1993. No way I could have done it.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
That was a big reason...........
It sure was! For a couple of reasons:

1) Our annual expenses stayed low. We didn't need to upgrade house, etc., and we didn't. We were able to save a great deal (although retirement really was facilitate through stock options - but still we had limited expenses going forward).

and

2) If we had had kids in school when I was able to retire, I'm not sure I we would have, because my main motivation for retiring was so we could travel a lot, and I think I would have wanted to wait until the kids were college age.

Now, I know several people of on this forum retired in spite of 2. I just remember that was my feeling at the time.

Audrey
Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the firm rule in these kinds of threads should be that you guys who answer 'yes' need to reveal your occupations. For me the answer is 'no'; for the record, I am a government schmoe. But maybe if I moonlight...
stoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It sure was! For a couple of reasons:

1) Our annual expenses stayed low. We didn't need to upgrade house, etc. We were able to save a great deal (although retirement really was facilitate through stock options - but still we had limited expenses going forward).

and

2) If we had had kids in school when I was able to retire, I'm not sure I we would have, because my main motivation for retiring was so we could travel a lot, and I think I would have wanted to wait until the kids were college age.
I'd add (3) -- we didn't have to pay a lot more for our house just to get into the "right" school district. In some areas just being in the right school district can add $100K or more to the price of an otherwise identical home.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'd add (3) -- we didn't have to pay a lot more for our house just to get into the "right" school district. In some areas just being in the right school district can add $100K or more to the price of an otherwise identical home.
...but at least Johnny can read.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I think the firm rule in these kinds of threads should be that you guys who answer 'yes' need to reveal your occupations. For me the answer is 'no'; for the record, I am a government schmoe. But maybe if I moonlight...
Well, just like Audrey, no kids + stock options helps a lot. Our occupations are fairly mundane (science-related). But, even if we live in a low cost of living area, our salaries are indexed on salaries paid in an area with a much higher cost of living which makes our current employment situation a very sweet deal indeed.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But we live in a low cost of living area, yet our salaries are indexed on salaries paid in an area with a much higher cost of living which makes our current employment situation a very sweet deal indeed.
Same here, which is what keeps the FIRE dream alive. My current gig with Megacorp2 began in Silicon Valley, but I was able to get a lateral transfer, move to the boonies and telecommute in a low-cost area off of a Silicon Valley engineer's pay scale. So I'm quite blessed in that sense, though I'm determined to save and invest as much of it as possible because if this gig dries up, there's almost nothing around here as an alternative.

My wife may be entering the ministry soon, and as long as I can hold on to this gig long enough for that to happen (assuming it does), we'll be in good shape and I'd be in position to "semi-retire" sooner rather than later. For sure I'd feel the "golden handcuffs" loosening their grip.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I'm in one of the lower paid engineering professions. Nothing techie. But in the private side, not government work. DW started entry level at an investment bank 4.5 years ago, and has worked her way up a few notches, but still not making a ton. She does back office stuff away from the traders, not the $500,000 a year jobs that "investment bank" connotes. Our total salaries (not counting fringe benefits) just barely pushes our earned income into six figures (and that first happened in 2008 IIRC).

We are both law school grads, and have the full student loans from that as well. Neither of us receives an income from practicing law, and it has helped very little in terms of compensation at either of our jobs. So factor in that we have a bunch of student loan debt, and "wasted" three years not working, and not getting experience in our current careers.

But we have been focused on wealth building all along. We bought a small (by today's standards) 4 bedroom house in a working class/gentrifying neighborhood that will meet our family raising needs. We drive 10 year old well maintained cars. We make some sacrifices here and there, but nothing that really matters much to us. We could always buy a nicer house in a better neighborhood, and nicer cars, and more/nicer things for our kids. But we chose not to since what we have is "good enough".

Our net worth has grown due to keeping costs of living contained and saving about 1/2 our income (and saving big time on taxes as a result). Overall, I think the kid expenses are almost a wash. Not to understate the expenses involved with kids (which may be higher in the future), but our spending is different now, not necessarily just higher. Through 2010, we saved a bunch on taxes, and 2011 forward we will continue to do so, to a lesser extent.

Edit to add: we are in a low cost of living area also (as far as urban areas in the US go).
Old 04-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
... I'm determined to save and invest as much of it as possible because if this gig dries up, there's almost nothing around here as an alternative.
Same here. If this gig lasts another 3 years, we'll be in the clear... Fingers crossed.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #32
Administrator

At age 38 I had just realized that if I wanted to retire in 20 years I'd better get my act together.

We also had 2 kids aged 11 and 12 so even if, at age 22, I'd wanted to RE at 38 I would never have made it. However, no regrets, we did lots of fantastic "adventuring" during that period
Old 04-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have read about the Kalderlis before and they are inspiring. I really like the way they have been able to explore other countries without it costing a fortune.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

To my dismay CFB retired at 38, beating me by a year.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #35

Guess I'll answer, because I really hope should be able to fully retire by 38. While my saving/investing habits are really good, that still assumes I am fairly successful in my career, 38 is 12 years away for me, I do not have a crystal ball, but I do have the right type of background and experience for it (EE patent law). EE patent law is very technically complex, but it it starts in the low six figures. I have moderate student loans, especially for going to law school at full price. I do not plan on having children. I am very healthy, mostly maintain a low stress level, and I am extremely careful about my health. When I say I am frugal, as some know from my other posts, I am extreme, I can comfortably live on $10k/year (e.g. my food budget is $100/month). I started making frugal decisions early, I have been a saver before I was even 18. I have moved about...25 times in the last 6 years, and I plan on making an out-of-state move when I do patent law full time. I will have to rent until I am near my mid 30s, when I will buy a smallish house and stay there for many years. Most of my hobbies are free, only a couple of my hobbies are in the $100-500/yr range. I hate traveling (yet I am always moving for work). I buy a car in good shape and drive it into the ground, my current car had 110k miles on it 7 years ago and I still am using it.

All these decisions add up, most of them have allowed me to have a lot more career and financial flexibility than most. Some of them, particularly my hobbies, are mostly a matter of luck, what you enjoy is what you enjoy.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
But we have been focused on wealth building all along.
Bingo.

At 38 I was broke and unemployed. My bad.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
To my dismay CFB retired at 38, beating me by a year.
So.he had more stock options that you?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
At 38 I just embarked ion a second career in the head office of a technology company, after a career in technology, sales and sales management. I would never had the enjoyment I got from influencing corporate direction.

At 49 I was given a golden handshake and immediate reduced pension. Ten years and an extra wife later, I finally retired.

I think the Kalderlis are a model for people who will take drastic action in order to reduce the risk of early retirement. They write books to sell them so, in a sense they just traded a 9 to 5 job for freelancing (granted for much less $). The nice thing is that they have gained some real experience that can help all those who follow.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Ten years and an extra wife later, I finally retired.
Can you tell us more about the extra wife? This might be an approach to ER that seems less self-denying.

Ha
Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Can you tell us more about the extra wife? This might be an approach to ER that seems less self-denying.

Ha

I bought into (mentally, not monetarily) the idea of sticking with my State job to get the pension when I was 43 when I was 23. I already had five years in and was going to school at night to be an Engineer. I also started the in-house engineer program at my job and like the saying goes, "Back then I couldn't even spell engineer and now I are one".

My point is that you can retire at 43, 38 or even 28, if that is your goal. It didn't take long for me to forget the idea of quitting my job, spending untold thousands on an education, go into the job market, work 45 years of 60 hour weeks and then dropping dead with a gazillion dollars in the bank and begin planning and dreaming about not working. Not that I didn't climb the ladder and work hard and give my all for King and country, but I never took it too seriously and never feel to deeply into the trap of keeping up with the Joneses. A really committed person could keep out of debt, save like crazy and do it. Unfortunately, most of us don't find ER religion until later and 38 is out of reach.

I could have done it if I would have joined the Highway Patrol academy or become a fire fighter. Hindsight!
flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote