Crazy how much things can change in less than 10 years

sergio

Recycles dryer sheets
Been on here since 2015, right around when I graduated. In fact I just revisited my first post on here, almost 9 years ago, and my net worth was a whopping $46k.

As of this week, we (wife + 3 kids) are now over $1.1m. And neither of us are doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, or have gotten any substantial help from family. I work in R&D and my wife is an elementary school teacher, though she's currently taking two years off to stay with our youngest child (2 months old).

So the update is:

• $71k cash (savings, checking, HSA cash, etc.)

• $361k 401k

• $140k Roth IRA

• $110k Taxable Investments

• $64k HSA Investments

• $21k 529 Plans

• $320k paid-off house

• $50k paid-off vehicles

Probably the best thing we did was buy a house and cars substantially below our means and paid them off ASAP. We also have traveled very frugally and generally avoid stuff like boats, RVs, that depreciates and carries monthly costs. We do pay a lot for one of our kid's daycare, though those payments will stop in a few months when she heads of to Kindergarten. We also pay $1k/month for our oldest kids' private school.

Not sure what the timeline looks like - our last kid will enter college when I'm 54, so hopefully we'll have enough socked away to retire right around that time.

Immediate goals are to get the cash up to $100k, and start socking away more in taxable investments.

This forum has been a major help. Not only for the advice, but I love seeing success stories. And I find a lot of people on here are similar to me - middle class engineer types with kids, looking to retire "early" but not crazy early (e.g. ages 35), unlike some other boards....

Looks like you are doing well, especially with a paid off house.
And congratulations on the new baby!

Super great post. I love hearing about successful young families. Stay focus and don't try to beat the market and you will most surely have financial freedom by your mid-50s.

I love stories like these. Keep up the great work and congrats on the new baby!

That is great! I really like your decision for mom to stay home with that new baby. That will pay more dividends for all of than her time at work for those two years.

Great Job!

I love hearing stories like this! Great job!

That is great! I really like your decision for mom to stay home with that new baby. That will pay more dividends for all of than her time at work for those two years.

Great Job!

Absolutely. Not to mention, full-time daycare for an infant around here is like $2k/month, which means pre-tax you need to make $3k/month, or about $36k/yr. Her teaching job didn't pay much more than that and we weren't using any of her benefits. The only real financial "loss" is pausing her pension contributions.

But the peace of mind that comes with her at home, knowing all of our kids are being raised exactly how we want, spending maximum time with them, not stressing about taking time off work if a kid is sick... that is priceless and we'd gladly delay retirement for a few years for that experience even if she made more money.

But I realize we are very fortunate to be in such a position.

Outstanding, you are well on your way to FI. After that, the options available to you and your family are worth the efforts it took - not just early retirement, that's not best for all.

Thanks for sharing and congrats! Always nice to hear the good things that those on this board are able to make happen. WooHoo for you!

But the peace of mind that comes with her at home, knowing all of our kids are being raised exactly how we want, spending maximum time with them, not stressing about taking time off work if a kid is sick... that is priceless and we'd gladly delay retirement for a few years for that experience even if she made more money.

But I realize we are very fortunate to be in such a position.

Yes, it is a luxury. I kept working FT because I loved my work and we needed the money (northern NJ) but DS and DDIL have chosen for her to stay home and home-school the kids and she's wonderful at it. They're in Des Moines where it's possible for more families.

But- that's OT. I also find your story so far very positive. I read too many train-wreck articles on Dave Ramsey about people drowning in credit card debt and the monthly payments on the 7-year car loan for the shiny new SUV they HAD to have. Slow and steady wins the race and you're setting a good example for your kids.

Excellent job. No debt lifestyle is the best way to go imo. Low pressure for sure.

Back
Top Bottom