Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much do you pay for daycare per child per month?
Under 200 4 12.50%
300-400 3 9.38%
400-500 4 12.50%
500-600 6 18.75%
600-700 2 6.25%
700 or more 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Daycare costs.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Daycare costs.

Didn't know whether to file this under Money and Fire or Young Dreamers... but, here goes.

I'm wondering what the rest of the world pays for daycare? We pay $22/day/child. Get 10 days of vacation where we don't have to pay, and the daycare lady takes 2 weeks where we don't have to pay. After that's gone, whether your kid is there or not, you pay. Unless you have a child in school, then it's hourly in the summer or after school. We don't have that luxury yet. So, it averages $440/kid/month for us.

I actually think it's cheap since our daycare lady is great, and we pass the "brother-in-law" test, i.e. he pays over $600.

Ours is private, out of her home. Other churches/"official" daycare providers charge $450-$600+ in this area.

Again, all of these numbers are per child, per month. Please adjust accordingly.

In a couple years this is going to make a helluva extra truck payment/401k/whatever.

Thanks for your responses, in advance.

-CC
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We were paying about the same. Now DW is mostly working from home, and on Tuesday's when she goes into the office, the younger's Godmother who lives 4 houses away watches them for $100, pricey but a win-win all the way around - Tori and Olivia play with their three best friends (her children) and she gets to continue to stay home as the money bridges the gap for that household.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a private nanny and pay $265 per week for 25 hours (~ 3 days). Don't judge me
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #4

My youngest daughter will be 16 this September and we have NEVER paid for child care....or a babysitter for her.....kinda odd, I know!.....but then we were blessed with "The Graminator".....actually, we all just call her "Grammy".....but as my MIL would have skinned us alive if she were not the caregiver of choice, we consider ourselves truly blessed

No spot in your poll for that, huh?
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I chose "$700 or More" since DW stayed home over 10 years when she could have made a fine $ income working

The reason people can't find quality daycare at a cheap price is because "quality" is expensive.

I've noticed some people are willing to pay more to board their dog than take care of their kid.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #6

$175/week for the 2 yr old [that's with partially subsidized child care at a "disclosed gov't facility"], and $125/week for summer camp for the 6yr old. During the school year its $305/month for before and after care at the school for the 6yr old. It's expensive, but the kids need the socializing very badly. If they weren't in daycare, we'd have killed them by now. They're lucky they're cute.
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does college count?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #8

Didn't respond to poll as my child is 26 y.o., but I thought you might find this recent Craigslist NY ad of interest...(and yes, it is a legitimate offer and the job's been filled):

Seeking a kind, smart, motivated person to help care for 4 children as a mother's helper (you won't ever be left in charge of all of them!) Monday-Friday 7:30AM-1PM in Manhattan with flexibility to go to the country every other weekend. Candidates must love working with children, have experience with babies and references and be able to commit for at least a year. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU DO NOT FIT THIS DESCRIPTION. $1,000 PER WEEK CASH
Please call 646.xxx.xxxx
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I was sure happy when my "baby" entered kindergarten last year, we were paying $175/week for her in the 4/5's group at a 5-star daycare (this is the top end of how the state of NC rates & ranks daycares). At the same daycare, the rates go up as the ages go down, typically about $10 per age bracket, so the infants cost $225 per week. The most expensive year, with 2 children in daycare at the time, was about $16,500.

You do get what you pay for, though... this is one area where cheaper sure ain't better.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Didn't respond to poll as my child is 26 y.o., but I thought you might find this recent Craigslist NY ad of interest...(and yes, it is a legitimate offer and the job's been filled):

Seeking a kind, smart, motivated person to help care for 4 children as a mother's helper (you won't ever be left in charge of all of them!) Monday-Friday 7:30AM-1PM in Manhattan with flexibility to go to the country every other weekend. Candidates must love working with children, have experience with babies and references and be able to commit for at least a year. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU DO NOT FIT THIS DESCRIPTION. $1,000 PER WEEK CASH
Please call 646.xxx.xxxx
And they might go begging for a helper anyway, based on my experience.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #11

My mom (aka Grandma) watches Erin. She absolutely refuses to let us pay her but we give her cash for her birthday, Christmas, etc.

Every once in a while, I'll actually go to their bank and deposit some money into their chequing account. Dad always has a fun time when that happens...trying to figure out how money magically appears in the account
Old 06-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I pay $610/month for a 3 day week, also at a 5 star center in NC, for my 3.5 year old. (The full time rate is $1020.)

They provide morning & afternon snack, and hot lunches. (In MD, we had to pack all food and drink)
PBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #13

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
My youngest daughter will be 16 this September and we have NEVER paid for child care....or a babysitter for her.....kinda odd, I know!.....but then we were blessed with "The Graminator".....actually, we all just call her "Grammy".....but as my MIL would have skinned us alive if she were not the caregiver of choice, we consider ourselves truly blessed

No spot in your poll for that, huh?
No, that's what my parents did with me, too. Unforunately, distance (a couple hours) separates us from doing that to our parents, or for or kids or however you want to look at it.

Achiever51: I know two people that used to be a live-in nanny. One was for an investment banker in NY somewhere. "Good" cash, not much life of your own. Plus food and housing is free, maybe transporation, too. Not for me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
I chose "$700 or More" since DW stayed home over 10 years when she could have made a fine $ income working

The reason people can't find quality daycare at a cheap price is because "quality" is expensive.

I've noticed some people are willing to pay more to board their dog than take care of their kid.
That's one of the biggest things keeping us here, our low cost (apparently) daycare, yet it's high quality. Good meals, learning activities, caring, etc.

-CC
Old 06-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

At what age do you start leaving the kid at home by themselve?
DallasFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #15

$25/say per kid with SIL, paid as cash (cannot deduct from income taxes).
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Our 8month old stays home/400 per week live in nanny, while the 3 year old attends a church based day care/400 month. The 6 year old is in public school. Works out to 500 week or 2000 month. This is normal/cheap in NY area.
Sometimes we dream about what our NYC salaries would do for us, say, in NC TX or other sanely priced places.
Salaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFH View Post
At what age do you start leaving the kid at home by themselve?
In a number of states, it's 12 years old..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #18

In our area it's about $400/week for full-time child care for one child. A quality helper/babysitter runs $10/hr on up. I define "quality" as reliable, cheerful, honest, first-aid/CPR-trained with good references and a modicum of common sense. We currently pay our babysitter (4 hrs/wk) $15/hour to watch two kids. They love her, we love her, it works out great.

The cost of childcare in this area is one factor that supported my desire to stay home -- but just wanting to be with my kids was the main one. (Though days like today, when they're both screaming for no apparent reason, makes me wonder if I made a rational choice).
Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
In a number of states, it's 12 years old..............
I found a table, but some references are weak: Latchkey Kids Age Limits Listed By State
But this looks like another example of nanny state
When I was growing up (a moderately big city (~1M inhabitants) and my parents allowed me to stay home alone at 7 y.o., ride public transport by myself at 6 y.o. and ride long distance train to grandparents at 9 y.o.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

We use network cameras around the house for a 10 years old this summer and bought her a cell phone. DW and I watch her while at work via the Internet. Yes we are worry that someone break into the house during the day when we are not there. But so far, it is been working out very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I found a table, but some references are weak: Latchkey Kids Age Limits Listed By State
But this looks like another example of nanny state
When I was growing up (a moderately big city (~1M inhabitants) and my parents allowed me to stay home alone at 7 y.o., ride public transport by myself at 6 y.o. and ride long distance train to grandparents at 9 y.o.
DallasFH is offline   Reply With Quote