Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

There are many really good jobs, many of which are relatively new technology, in the healthcare field that require a college degree. We have lots of opportunity to do on-the-job training that would give some of our best employees a professional license that would essentially double their income the day they had it. However, as they never completed a college degree, they are ineligible and there is nothing I can do about it. I've heard every excuse in the book about why they never finished college.

If you plan to enter college, at least finish it. That's the best advice I can ever give to someone.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Did the degree you graduate with have any bearing on the first job you got after college?
MSc Physics. Yup, got me in the door to acoustic engineering.

Does it now?
Nope. Nobody does anything related to physics or math. Only rocket science implementation software.

What degree did you get?
Msc. Physics, MBA marketing
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

BS in Chemical Engineering
MS in Environmental Engineering

My degree got me in the door in big oil. Been there 11 years and counting, Although I'm currently in the mindset of looking elsewhere.
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

BS in International Relations, Law and Organizations
First job, yes you had to have a degree
Second job, yes, you also needed to have a degree although it was the American Psychological Association

Present job, actually using the degee a little since I am in International Risk.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The day after I got my BS in Business is when I handed in my resignation to my then boss. When I handed him my transcript, he glanced at it and said..... so what?. By the way, I was in late thirties, and working full time.

Next job it was not relevant to. The process of learning, how to do research and evaluations and getting pretty good at it, priceless.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

BA in Fine Arts

Did it help - yes. I was able to work as a Canadian in Hollywood as a special effects artists by applying for and receiving a TN Visa - one of the only people in my company who had the credentials to apply.

That said, the degree helped in the visa requirement. What I actually learned at school was, for the most part rubbish.

This is great advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
I believe it's a mistake to go to school only with an eye to a future career -- that's taking advantage of a very small portion of what's on offer in college.
Learn how to drink, make lots of friends, get into trouble (but not too much!). I highly recommend staying in student housing if you have the opportunity. Skip having a room mate if you can help it and get your own room. You'll surely come out of things with some life long friends and endless connections all over the place.

Cheers.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Interesting question. Yes and yes, in a roundabout way.

BA Philosophy, but minored in Math. Since I knew how to program, the minor got me a job at a bank doing batch processing (yes, no programming work at all and totally repetitive) in the accounting department. Being in the accounting department and realizing I was asking stupid questions about tax issues spurred me to study tax law, go for an MS in tax, and started my consulting career. The training in philosophy was very helpful in reading and understanding the arcane tax laws.
Buddha44 is offline   Reply With Quote