Join Early Retirement Today

Did any of you regret early retirement or is anyone worried about leaving too early?
Old 02-19-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Did any of you regret early retirement or is anyone worried about leaving too early?

Hi Forum,

I was wondering if anyone here left, and regrets it? OR those who are on the edge are worried about regretting it? IF so, what did you regret? What went wrong? What was the "I wish I knew...." Be it money, spouse not wanting to travel, boredom, etc

Thanks as always to anyone who replies!
JoseSantiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been retired 3.5 years and loving it except for the restrictions due to Covid.
We are never bored, even if we do nothing for a whole day.
Money and health is good overall.
Don't miss work one bit.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No regrets leaving at 57 year old. I can say, it was hard for when thinking about leaving money behind but my time was starting to be worth more to me.

If I knew then, what I know about retirement now, I would of went a few years earlier.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Stopped working 32+ years ago - there's no such thing as too early,

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #5

5 Years, no regrets. Just heard the old MC subdivision is being sold to a "multi-national" investment group.

REALLY glad I am out.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No regrets. But then I wasn't really that early either.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #7

No regrets here either. Like many we left a lot of money on the table by bailing from the D.C. area and moving to WV and we wondered if we'd regret it later.

About six months after moving all became clear. We went to visit my younger sister then living in northern VA and the first thing she said upon seeing us was "You two look more relaxed than I've seen you in years". At that, we knew we'd done the right thing.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Not a single regret, except maybe for not leaving earlier. What are you worried about?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #9

We are 3.5 years in, and haven't had any regrets for quitting cold turkey. One has limited years for aggressive traveling. We chose to retire earlyish and continue traveling during the pandemic because each month lost is irreplaceable.

E.T.A.--we were forced to travel a little less last year. We ended up being home for about 7 months, and our travel slanted domestic.... Even with that though, no regrets.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #10

Retired 14 years ago....still lovin' it!

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:20 PM   #11

I hung it up 12 years ago at age 58. That was about the time parents & an aunt had to vacate their homes for retirement communities. And we moved twice since then.

I turned into an amateur mover--and ended up with so much furniture that it's overwhelming. I still have a triple car garage full of items to sell.

But in those 12 years, we've been out of the country a couple of dozen times. And we have no regrets to seeing so much of the free world. Staying home 2-3 years is tough when you're used to traveling.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:46 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired at 61. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:41 AM   #13

I didn't make the decision to leave - it was made for me. The company I had been working for, for 16 years, went out of business during the great recession. I was 45 years old, and decided that, because I had enjoyed my job so much, that I'd rather have lots of free time, and a lower resulting income, than to have to reinvent myself in the workforce, and most likely end up doing something I wouldn't enjoy as much. I haven't regretted not seeking work again.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:44 AM   #14
Administrator

No regrets after leaving at age 55, 11 years ago.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:21 AM   #15

I quit work at the age of 36, almost 11 years ago. It wasn't all smooth sailing but I have no regrets (I think that regrets are a waste of time anyways).

Money-wise, I'm better off than when I left. And when I see how my working friends live, there isn't a single aspect of their lives that I envy.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:08 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Been retired now for 7 years, left the workforce at 52 now 59, DW was 59.5 now 66.... We are Florida residents in Ft Myers 8 months, we also had a condo at Lake of the Ozarks until this past November for our summer months. Sold the condo at the Lake and now own a condo in Wichita KS, where our kids and grandkids live..... I did question myself the first two weeks after retiring, but then began to really enjoy the decisions we made ..... We do travel quite a bit within the US and at least one trip to Mexico each year...... No regrets, lost 120 lbs to be able to travel and enjoy being able to move around without the struggle of all the extra weight ..... We are from the midwest, so we have taken trips to Lake Tahoe, Redwood Forest, went to the balloon fest in Albuquerque, a stop at the Royal Gorge in CO, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Pikes Peak, Nashville, to name a few ...... Again, no regrets .... The important thing is to live within your means and Live Life while you can
Old 02-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #17

Quote:
No regrets leaving at 57 year old. I can say, it was hard for when thinking about leaving money behind but my time was starting to be worth more to me.

If I knew then, what I know about retirement now, I would of went a few years earlier.
+1. Haven't regretted for one minute.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:07 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me think.................................Nope, no regrets. I quit at 58 and my husband left one year later at 56. It's now been 5 years. Best decision we ever made other than not trying to impress people we didn't know with money we didn't have........and made smart invests.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I quit work at the age of 36, almost 11 years ago. It wasn't all smooth sailing but I have no regrets (I think that regrets are a waste of time anyways).

Money-wise, I'm better off than when I left. And when I see how my working friends live, there isn't a single aspect of their lives that I envy.
This - (ok 10 years older, but still). You will be hard pressed to find anyone here with regrets. There are only two reasons that I can think one might:

1 - they really weren't ready financially and misjudged their spending/budget, and had to go back to work.
2- they weren't ready emotionally, and tied their identify and social life completely to their work.

Most here avoid #1 by planning and learning as part of this community. And they avoid #2 by OMY'ing or working through those things before they ER.

When I meet old work friends they will sometimes say "do you miss it?" and I'll say No lol and they'll go oh you are so lucky it's so bad here....
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #20
Administrator

Regrets? Iíve had a few, but then again, too few to mention
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote

« 10K days | - »