Join Early Retirement Today

Do you ever pull pranks in your office?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #2

HeHe! Back when I was working in a sheetmetal shop, we had a cool pregnant girl (about 8.5 mos preg at the time of this story)...our supervisor was deathly afraid one of the pregnant women would go into labor. Soooooo, being the sport she was, she offered to douse herself with water (groin & legs) to simulate her water breaking....several of us squealed, gasped, etc...she did a great job huffing and puffing and freaking out....it was hilarious! Our supervisor nearly passed out!!! Priceless!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been telecommuting for the last several years... However, when I went to the office every day I used to enjoy starting or embellishing rumors. I didn't make them personal, usually something about a "coming change" in the company. Suggesting some favorite benefit would soon be changed or eliminated always got folks all excited, e.g., we will soon get more vacation time, more floating holidays, fewer holidays, new office furniture, etc.

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

When I worked in Radiology we had a real fun loving crew and pulled many pranks .One April Fools Day we all called in sick from the phone in the lobby .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I LOVE playing pranks at the office....April Fool's is my favorite day in the whole world!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I LOVE playing pranks at the office....April Fool's is my favorite day in the whole world!
My wife and I got married on April Fool's Day... certainly had some fun pranks to play on the guests - one person actually thought he won $50,000 from the fake lottery ticket! He was ready to split it in half with us
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Back in the '80s when personal computers seemed more mysterious than they do now, one of my co-workers programmed another co-worker's computer to sound as if it were a washing machine going through all of its cycles. The guy who did the programming laughed harder than anyone else.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back when all the telephones were corded in the office, we removed the receiver from a coworker's phone and substituted a zucchini. We then called him from a near by phone and he picked up the "receiver" without looking. He felt pretty foolish after he realized he was talking into a squash.

After that, when he was slow to answer his phone, we'd say "Charlie, your zucchini is ringing".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Back in the '80s when personal computers seemed more mysterious than they do now, one of my co-workers programmed another co-worker's computer to sound as if it were a washing machine going through all of its cycles. The guy who did the programming laughed harder than anyone else.

Reminds me of some co-workers who loved the PC vs. Apple debate. The PC user was a woman who was not technically savvy. When she got up to use the restroom, the Apple guy went over to her computer and navigated it to a page that maximizes and looks exactly like an Apple.

She knew who did it, but she kept telling him to fix it and make it better (she didn't realize that an escape or an ALT+F4 would do the trick).

Another great one is if you know somebody who doesn't touch-type, just replace the 'M' and 'N' keys.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #10

One time we removed all the furniture from the boss' office before he came in. Good thing he had a sense of humor.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #11

I was board one night and started switching the letters on our in car laptops. When the person in the car after me discovered the problem he tried to just rip the keys off and he broke half of them. I had to essentially buy a keyboard for that one, but it was funny. His co-workers that night laughed the hardest.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The best one was when my boss at the time went on a vacation. He always was afraid to go on vacation because he thought "bad things" would happen............

While he was gone, we made up the following: fake letterhead, fake business cards, even a fake banner that was hung out front. About an hour before he landed, we put up all the stuff. He came from the airport right to the company, and just about drove off the road when he saw that his company had been "sold".......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #13

I used to work for a large department store back in the early 90's, when I was in my 20's and immature . We had a phone at every register stand, but only a few of those phones could actually make outside phone calls. It was possible to call an outside number from one of those phones, and then transfer it to another phone. That phone would then ring, and the person could pick it up, and then have access to that outside call.

Well, we got ahold of some naughty 1-800 number. I think it was 1-800-256-9562. It had a pre-recorded message that would start off with a sultry female voice that said something like "Hi sexy. You've just reached the hottest chat line in America!" Then it would go through the menu. "For hot redheads, press 1". "For guys...who do it with guys...press 2". etc. It didn't actually COST anything unless you pressed one of those options.

We got a kick out of calling that number and then transferring it to another register stand. That person's phone would ring, they'd pick it up, and start to hear that sultry voice. It was pretty funny, for awhile. I got one of the managers with it one night, but I must've had a reputation by that time, because after listening to it for about three seconds, she looked over RIGHT at me! She thought it was pretty funny, though.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On a submarine patrol, months from any liberty port, with lousy movies and nothing to do but stand watch and run drills and clean equipment?!?

Nah. Well, maybe just this once: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post511563

Otherwise the things that were done to sleeping watchstanders were considered educational, not pranktorial...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

We used to have a guy in our office who always ordered stuff and had it shipped to the office so his wife wouldn't find out. One day while he was in Court his new ski poles arrived. We took the poles out of the box and then went to the parking lot and ran over the box with a car 9 or 10 times. We got back, lovingly placed the poles back in the box, then re-taped the box. He was on the phone yelling at the company when he noticed us all cracking up. He didn't look in the box until after he saw us.

Mudd
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

A couple workers and I had a manager that we were all pretty buddy-buddy with. We put a program on his computer that allowed us to remotely control his machine. Throughout the morning we would periodically minimize the windows he had up, randomly open new files, and make his monitor flash off and on. By lunch he kept complaining to us that his computer was broken and that he thought he had a virus - we somehow managed not to crack up and just expressed our "concern". After another hour or so we look up to see our manager unplugging his monitor, picking it up, and shaking it in disgust - at this point we all lose it and he quickly realizes that we were behind all his computer problems. He thinks it is funny and we all have a good laugh.
RE-Fin-54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

In grad school, my advisor wasn't computer literate. I hacked his mainframe account so that when he logged on, the computer would say:

"Gimme cookie!"

and wouldn't continue unless he typed in something like "here's a cookie" or "cookie."

Unfortunately, he didn't figure that out, and did not appreciate the prank at all.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

One of the Radiologists that I worked for finally got a new car .He had a beat up Mustang for years and he finally bought a new Datsun 300Z .We got all the tacky bumper stickers we could find and lightly scoth taped them onto his bumpers .He went beserk !!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

After high school I worked in an equipment rental shop, which provided endless tool related pranks. A fellow employee bought an old 1950's vintage pickup truck and was always concerned that it would break down and leave him stranded. We put a hydraulic jack under the rear axle, close to the tire (to hide it), and lifted the tire 1/16" off the ground. Of course, with a differential, the raised tire just spun and the truck would not move. He was sure the transmission or clutch had failed until he saw us laughing.

He paid me back by using an electric staple gun to attach my metal lunch bucket to a bench with a hundred or so staples. At first I though it was full of rocks!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #20

I heard a few of these from a friend (who works as an engineer in a nearly all-male lab).

Guy was collecting tin cans to recycle for his kid's team uniforms. Asked his colleagues to help him out. Went to the parking lot one day to find out he'd got more help than he'd bargained for -- his car was filled to the ceiling with cans.

Same friend restored a vintage BSA motorcycle and drove it to work. One of his colleagues (sick of hearing about the bike's progress over the preceeding year), took a quart of oil and dribbled some of it under the bike sometime in the morning. Friend checked on his baby at lunch, saw the oil, scratched his head, then rolled the bike a few feet to see if the oil was his or whether he had simply parked over an existing puddle.

His colleage poured out another dribble in the afternoon.

Friend saw the second puddle and came back into the lab cursing, at which time the sight of six guys shaking silently and trying not to pee their pants gave the game away.

Next day the oil-spilling colleague started for home after a day's work only to find that his car's brake pedal had somehow become connected to his horn.

Another time construction workers were digging a big hole with a backhoe outside the lab. The backhoe accidentally backed into the hole (nobody hurt) so that only the bucket showed above ground. Within an hour a sign appeared on the fence outside the construction site: "Chinese laborer backhoes his way to freedom after perilous 8-thousand-mile journey. Film at 11:00"
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote