Do you think people on the board lie about their financial position?

Are their liars amongst us?

• Yep!

Votes: 100 65.4%
  • Nope!

Votes: 53 34.6%

• Total voters
I'd say there are liars among us, but not a lot. I don't see the point in lying, personally. I'm here to learn and chat with like minded people, not to measure my e-peen.

There probably are a small number of BSers on the board. I can imagine them snickering at their computer screen as they ply the BS...

Most of us are snickering as we plan and discuss our FIRE! :D :D :D

chinaco said:
There probably are a small number of BSers on the board. I can imagine them snickering at their computer screen as they ply the BS...

Those must be some sad people.

I have enough trouble keeping track of the truth.

I don't have the energy to lie.

I think most people are honest.

I don't have time to lie to you folks. Now I must be going as my supermodel wife and her best friend want me to join them for drinks in the hot tub. ;)

There may be some trolls that jerk around but most people here are honest. They are not trying to prove themselves here because they are busy doing that in their day jobs in order to ER.

Just look at the threads on windfalls and on biggest mistakes...

seems to be a mostly honest bunch -

i think the differences at times come in whether you are using gross or including home as part of your worth...etc.

what would be the point of lying? so your anon online identity is super cool? haha

if that's the case, then there is no helping the liars!

I think most people on this forum are honest. Pity the poor insecure poster who feels the need to puff himself/herself up to impress a nameless and faceless audience; that just doesn't make any sense. I think it's great that people can be truthful about both their personal and financial situations - both positive and negative - so that others can learn from their successess and their mistakes. And it's not just matters relating to money, but matters of the heart, health, food, relationships, etc. It's informational and fun. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from the people here. Thank you all.

I'm sure most are honest, but there are some fibbers.

More than lying you have selective representation and changing definitions. For example, one person might say they save 20% of their income while another in exactly the same situation might say 40% because the first is gross excluding company match to 401k while the other is net of taxes including company match.

Hmmm - I like the fibber part.

Truth told - most of time I have no idea. It has not seemed to matter - speaking handgrenade wise - for the last 13 years of ER. It seems if you follow the general principles esposed on this forum - you sort of 'manage'.

heh heh heh heh - bragging rights on a particular thread to make a point, a down market period(a pucker point), and winter/bad weather with nothing to do - can precipitate some back of the envelope calculations.

Of course a wise ass - such as myself during an up market period can say: 'Don't know, don't care.' And sometimes keep a straight face - OR not.

heh heh heh - ::)

the large Yes vote made me wonder -

Did the people who DO lie - vote Yes or No?! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There have been few instances where I have suspected anyone of lying. Mostly, I am impressed by people's willingness to share and surprised that they are often very detailed, and frequently on issues that are not that flattering.

I suspect most of us would be more likely to lie to people we know. And that would be by not admitting what we have.

I always figure those who post a few pictures are willing to expose a certian level of truth. Here we are yesterday in Milan plotting our next side trip :D.

Actually these two Dutchmen had driven down from Holland to Milan with their girlfriends (I assume) and were asking us directions to Basil at a gas statiion yesterday on our way back to the airport (in our cheapo rental box after a customer meeting). OK, so I fibbed just a bit. And I really am stuck in a Tel Aviv hotel today awaiting 4 days not-so-fun meetings. :p

img_508516_0_c0fb0833c1f82f573be71387a56bed35.jpg

sure there are liars everywhere. I haven't been around long enough to notice anyone who doesn't seem to add up. but to be honest, I really don't care. In fact, I deliberately don't care. for one, it could be impossible to prove, and I have better things to do with my time.

the other thing is that I was once accused of being a huge liar on a totally different board, by a few people who, for some reason, didn't like my attitude. it was a board for...bath products, of all things. and some people were po'd because I said that the fact that they *bragged* about buying so much stuff that they a) have the packages sent to work, so their SOs don't see them b) hide the credit card bills so their SOs don't see how much they spend c) actually like to SOs, when asked about spending, indicated that they had serious problems & needed couciling.

maybe that was being judgemental on my part, but I stand by it. anyone who's lying about spending (on BATH products, & we're talking 100s a month) to a SO has issues. I would hope that's more of a fact than an opinion.

I like to think those that lie as "someone creative with the facts" or one who is "verbally superfluous". ;)

Celany said:
it was a board for...bath products, of all things. and some people were po'd because I said that the fact that they *bragged* about buying so much stuff that they a) have the packages sent to work, so their SOs don't see them b) hide the credit card bills so their SOs don't see how much they spend c) actually like to SOs, when asked about spending, indicated that they had serious problems & needed couciling.

maybe that was being judgemental on my part, but I stand by it. anyone who's lying about spending (on BATH products, & we're talking 100s a month) to a SO has issues. I would hope that's more of a fact than an opinion.

I hope my SO uses all the bath products she can get her hands on, as often as possible.

Ha

If someone posts their "numbers" asking for validation, or input on their situation, I think that for the most part they're being honest. Otherwise the answers they get will not be too helpful.

I think that some of the polls may be a bit off though..

goodguy..

I'm a little scared to post my numbers, because they might accidently differ from post to post due to differences in the computations. I could include, or not include, long term expenses like saving for a new car when figuring my expenses, for example. When determining the percent of salary that these amount to, I could use net or gross salary. So, my numbers might vary from post to post. Even though I don't lie on polls, often my entry in a poll depends on these computational choices which in turn depend on my mood.

You'll NEVER find me posting that I earn $280,000/year and live in a million dollar home with a summer home and more, though. I have real accomplishments to boast about, if I feel the need to boast, so I have no need to make up imaginary wealth.

It seems like we have an awful lot of people who are extremely wealthy, though, and who still have time to hang out at this message board. Hmmmm... ;)

They COULD be telling the truth. It's not too intellectually challenging to figure out how to retire early on that kind of income. It would be more interesting to me personally, to read more posts from middle class or lower middle class Americans on how they will manage to retire early with no debt. It can be done. We do have some "regulars" from these income categories and I look for their posts.

"It seems like we have an awful lot of people who are extremely wealthy, though, and who still have time to hang out at this message board. Hmmmm... Wink"

Like the guy in an earlier post with a 9.4 million net worth...........

Back
Top Bottom