Join Early Retirement Today

Emergency fund plus “security” money
Old 12-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Emergency fund plus “security” money

I’ll keep this short and to the point. I owe $18k to repay a 401k loan (4.5%) that I took out 1.5 years ago. I have $25k in EF and another $25k in “mattress” funds for worse case scenarios. This in part was something my dad has instilled in me about having $ close by other than a bank in case something “bad” ever happened and the need for cash was near and outside the banking system.

I know I shouldn’t have that much laying around not working for me. So I guess I’m curious on the thoughts here about should I repay myself and knockout them 401k loan w/ mattress funds or EF? Any insight would be appreciated….
Ninepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well with a 401k loan the interest rate you pay(4.5%) is actually paid back to yourself and is kind of a forced savings to allow you to put that much more in your 401k. Since your balance is so low I would not do anything except continue to pay the standard monthly payments per month. Save those emergency and mattress funds for something even more serious down the road. The only thing you are missing out on is the opportunity costs of not having the money invested.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Well with a 401k loan the interest rate you pay(4.5%) is actually paid back to yourself and is kind of a forced savings to allow you to put that much more in your 401k. Since your balance is so low I would not do anything except continue to pay the standard monthly payments per month. Save those emergency and mattress funds for something even more serious down the road. The only thing you are missing out on is the opportunity costs of not having the money invested.

Those opportunity costs is what I am concerned about with the emergency $ and “mattress” $. Is there another investment vehicle I can put the EF in other than the money market account?
Old 12-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #4

Unlike cash. precious metals generally keep pace with inflation. You can put gold and silver coins in your mattress, though it might become a bit lumpy to sleep on.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Doesn't having an outstanding 401k loan prohibit your ability to contribute further to your 401k?

If it were me I would pay off the $18K 401k loan with one of the two $25K pots of money you have, then rebuild your savings from what you spent. Better yet, take $9K from each to pay off the $18K loan, then rebuild from there.
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSdot View Post
Doesn't having an outstanding 401k loan prohibit your ability to contribute further to your 401k?

If it were me I would pay off the $18K 401k loan with one of the two $25K pots of money you have, then rebuild your savings from what you spent. Better yet, take $9K from each to pay off the $18K loan, then rebuild from there.
No I am still able to max out my 401k
Old 12-19-2021, 10:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Also keep in mind that if you leave your current employer that loan on your 401k will be due in full. If it were me I’d use some of your available funds and just pay it off.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:42 PM   #8

We don't believe in mattress money as they make no money. I would use mattress money or EF to pay off the 401K loan.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:53 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like to keep 10 grand (benji's) in the safe, but no more.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:15 AM   #10

My old boss and I talked finances one day about 25 years ago. He kept $5,000 in the kitchen drawer in case an unexpected expense came up, he said like buying tires for his daughter's car. He had a $4,000 credit card balance that he paid a minimum payment on, he said, sometimes a little more. I told him to pay off the CC with the drawer money, and use the CC for unexpected expenses. He wouldn't do it, he liked having cash on hand.....
Old 12-20-2021, 04:40 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

18K removed from 401 plan, so out of market, and lost opportunity. Then take 4.5% from earnings and add.
Meanwhile, keep 50K in no interest accounts.
It could happen that the market crashes and you end up buying lower cost shares. In the long run that 18K will be a blip.
Me, I'd pay off the loan. We're all different of course.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninepoint5 View Post
Those opportunity costs is what I am concerned about with the emergency $ and “mattress” $. Is there another investment vehicle I can put the EF in other than the money market account?
Well the opportunity costs I was talking about were the $18k you still have out of the market presuming they were in some kind of equity fund to begin with. I personally don't believe in being 100% in the market but that's just my opinion.
In other words I would not be worried about low or zero return on your emergency funds. I have a lot more than that in practically 0% interest cash myself. It doesn't bother me. I don't however believe in mattress money or actual cash lying around. I simply keep it in checking, money market or savings account type vehicles. I don't know how much EF you are comfortable with but you could take $20 k of that right now and by an I bond of $10k each for you and your wife. Just know it would not be available for 12 months and then after that you would give up 3 months interest if cashing it in before 5 years. Right now the interest rate on them is 7.12% for the next 6 months before it gets adjusted again. I just bought my first ones ever in November for the same reasons as you are contemplating.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
My old boss and I talked finances one day about 25 years ago. He kept $5,000 in the kitchen drawer in case an unexpected expense came up, he said like buying tires for his daughter's car. He had a $4,000 credit card balance that he paid a minimum payment on, he said, sometimes a little more. I told him to pay off the CC with the drawer money, and use the CC for unexpected expenses. He wouldn't do it, he liked having cash on hand.....
That was good advice, Winemaker, and it is why I think Ninepoint5 should pay off the loan with the mattress funds, then if they feel like they really need that above and beyond your EF, put the loan payment back into the mattress every month. (Of course, I think it should just be added to the EF, but that part is more a matter of preference.)
Old 12-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

All great feedback…appreciate it! Merry Xmas everyone
Old 12-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe put part of that EF + mattress fund into an I-bond for a much better return. It has to sit for a year, and then takes a couple days to get it out, but the return is infinitely better than the mattress's return (0%).
Old 12-27-2021, 07:07 PM   #16
Administrator

I-Bonds, currently 7.12%