Join Early Retirement Today

ER from ML Baseball
Old 04-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ER from ML Baseball

There are not many times you hear of people walking away from $13M to ER but he marches to a different drummer. His motivation seems to match many in this forum (Time >> Money):

Adam LaRoche goes deep on his decision to walk
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

He also batted a miserable .207 in 2015 for the SOX.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gotta admire him sticking to his principles. A deal is a deal no matter how odd.

Yet, at his age as a baseball player, maybe just R instead of ER .
Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have read a few articles about this guy. Sounds like I guy I would totally get along with. Sounds like some of my friends. The part That I don't get is the making a big deal out of the kid situation. The GM said dial it back. What, like the rest of us don't like our kids? Give me a break. He says he isn't special but then asks for special treatment and then follows that up as an excuse to retire. Just doesn't seem to fit his character. If you are going to retire, then retire. Why do you need to blame the organization?

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

My neighbor also retired from MLB a few weeks ago.

The bad news, it wasn't his decision.

But the good news is that he has always lived a LBYM lifestyle so he's in fine shape.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

But the good news is that he has always lived a LBYM lifestyle so he's in fine shape.
If it wasn't his decision, isn't that firing/release vs. retire?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

I was being charitable. Should have put quotes around the word. He had been talking about retirement for a while anyway.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I agree.... the kid was just an excuse...

How many people who work can bring their kid to work every day I know where I worked they would be told to leave the kid at home or day care...

I do not give him any brownie points for what he did.... just stupid IMO...

Now, if he did not want to play anyhow, then say so...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

This is good to hear. Most of the time, you hear about how these guys are terrible at money management. As an aside, a former manager of the ATL Braves is a neighbor of ours and I have had a couple of beers with him. He is also quite the LBYM guy.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

As he made $70+MM over the course of his career, it does not take a whole lot to LBYM. LOL

But has FlyBoy5 pointed out, alot of these guys are terrible money managers. It is so common to read of a former pro athlete (from any sport) who made umpteen million of the course of his career and has nothing to show for it. I suppose Mike Tyson is Exhibit A of this.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastnortheast View Post
As he made $70+MM over the course of his career, it does not take a whole lot to LBYM. LOL

But has FlyBoy5 pointed out, alot of these guys are terrible money managers. It is so common to read of a former pro athlete (from any sport) who made umpteen million of the course of his career and has nothing to show for it. I suppose Mike Tyson is Exhibit A of this.
I will give you one worse... J.R. Richard... a great pitcher who lost his career due to a blood clot...

A few years later he was living under a bridge!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._Richard
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mlb