ER is Relative

Added bonus, working a stressful job will ensure that you die sooner, saving even more.

As well as an interim solution to the "What will I do all day?" problem.
:D

Let's do the math: Assumption ultimate demise at 90. Retire at 58 with less money, more sanity and enjoy it for 32 years making both SS and my pension plan pay through the nose.

Work stressful job till 65 have more money be half crazy knowing I could have been out of the game sooner but didn't go. Spend 25 years second guessing myself and not have the health and energy that I would have had if I had only ER'd at 58.

They don't give you the time back or put it on a gift card.

Retire with more but less time vs. Retire with less but more time and health.

ER = Priceless

57 going on 58 can anyone guess how I'm leaning?

8 months, 16 days 2 hours and 6 minutes but who's counting ... ME!!

Soon to be :dance:'ing on the ceiling!

I'm counting too! 9 months and 9 days for me. to go at 55.

I cannot believe it is almost here been planning on it for last 20+ years. DW just ER'd in May as school counselor so she is just starting to feel it as if she were still w*rking she would be lamenting about having to go back the end of this month.

Let me pinch myself! :ROFLMAO:

From the article is one sentence I think most here would agree with...

And those who have accumulated enough wealth for early retirement are certainly free to exit the workforce.

Or you can get lucky and [-]find[/-] stumble across a job that has a short commute, easy hours, low stress, and pretty much days off when you want. Which is what I did.

Admittedly that doesn't work for everyone.

Yes, the big problem with the article is it ignores issues such as health, fitness and the value of time. It seems to assume that at 70 we will be as fit and vigourous as at 62 or even 66. Or that these issues do not matter. Many people are in great shape in their 70's. A friend recently backpacked the Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier in his 70's. On the other hand another friend died at 65.

I hope to be in better shape at 70 because retirement leaves me time to get more exercise, eat better, and there is less stress. YMMV.

Last edited:
I think that the great killer is stress. I would take time over money - I just need enough so that my basic needs are met - food, shelter, etc.

"If you think you will live to 89, then waiting until 70 probably makes sense," says Robert Wacker, a certified financial planner.

Yah. O.K.

Back
Top Bottom