Federal Job Confusion

Craig

Full time employment: Posting here.
OK, ignorant question ... looking at federal jobs, and usajobs.com indicates "This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service."

I'm guessing this means the benefits are trimmed ... but I could use an experienced government eye on this. What's the meaning? Thanks.

t just means that there is not a competitive exam or an established list of applicants. For some technical positions, sensitive positions like doctors and lawyers and at some lower level clerical positions there is a shortened route to apply and it is easier to make a selection. It does not mean lower benifits. Someone who is a more recent hire can provide more details but if you see a position of interest just apply for it and see what happens.

Agreed. Without seeing the job listing I can't really comment further other than that there are no "trimmed benny" federal jobs (excepting certain temporary appointments). When I hired in the civil service procedures were pretty standard--take one of a handful of tests, the major one being the PACE exam, and wait for the call. It seems to have splintered considerably since then.

Back
Top Bottom