Join Early Retirement Today

Fee Only Advisor More than I Thought
Old 02-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Fee Only Advisor More than I Thought

Well just got off the phone with a local Fee Only Advisor who told me the min initial consult fee was $7500. I was thinking this was going to be more of an hourly type thing

My situation: 55, married, looking to retire at the end of this year. Have everything planned out with several online planners but would like someone to look over what I have, a second opinion if you will.

Also have a bunch of questions written out on several topics ranging from drawn dawn strategies, second home write off for RV, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a service or person that would just spend a couple hours with me to make sure I have all the bases covered and charge me appropriately?

DOMINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
gone traveling

Keep looking. There are plenty of others who don't have a minimum like that.

joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Post your portfolio on Bogleheads.org.

Ask unlimited questions. $0 fees.

You could use Vanguard Personal Advisory Service (.3% fee) for one year if you must have an advisor in place. How many hours would an advisor have to spend with you to understand you better than you? Too many.
bloom2708 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

you likely found one that wants to invest all you $ and charges % of AUM. You, I think are looking for one that does fee for service. check out

there are others too. You can get some help from brokers (vanguard. fidelity, schwab), but you do have to be on your toes
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #5

What info are you looking for concerning "second home write off for RV" If you start a new thread with the particulars, I'm sure you'd get responses!
Quick stab: If the RV has permanent cooking, toileting, and sleeping facilities, it can be considered a second home meaning any acquisition debt interest payments can be deductible (with some limitations). The RV would need to secure the loan. Same for property tax if your state has one for RVs.
Are you looking to rent the RV or some other special situation.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #6

I've been going to ours for 5+ years, and I haven't paid 1/2 that collectively. Keep shopping. I'd rather save that $$ for us to go on vacation, rather than the planner.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I'd rather save that $$ for us to go on vacation, rather than the planner.
But does the OP want to go with you?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I've emailed another local one I found and have set up a call for today so will see how that goes. I'll also check out some of the online ones you guys suggested.

As far as the second home write off it's a little different I think because we'll be renting an apartment where my wife will be staying most of the time, while I travel in a small class B RV. She'll join me on certain legs of the trip but doesn't want to be away from 'home' base for super long periods. The Class B is fairly expensive at 60-100k so am trying to figure out if financing or paying cash is the best option.
DOMINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I hired a CPA to do a review of my tax returns (personal and business). I just wanted to have a second opinion as a few items were not straight forward. He charged $200/hr and it took 2 hrs. He had a few suggestions but no major differences in opinion (thankfully).
If you can't find a financial planner, try the CPA route.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
you likely found one that wants to invest all you $ and charges % of AUM. You, I think are looking for one that does fee for service. check out

there are others too. You can get some help from brokers (vanguard. fidelity, schwab), but you do have to be on your toes
+1 on Garrett Planning but make sure to ask about minimums and all inclusive costs prior to hiring a fee only adviser. A one time plan that gives you confidence to complete without on going expenses will be your best bet.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #11

Before I went with a CFP, he did a very thorough analysis and recommendation for $1,500. $7,500 is rediculous.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #12

$7500 is a non starter. I didn't realize that they charged so much.

ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote