Flight attendant retires... after more than 50 years.

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
"Flight attendant retires after 50-plus years with Aloha Airlines"

When Patti Smart was hired as an Aloha Airlines stewardess 50 years ago, it was a different job for a different time. She rubbed elbows with Frank Sinatra, performed in-flight fashion shows and danced in smoke-filled aisles during island-hopping voyages aboard cramped DC-3s seating two dozen passengers. Smart, nicknamed the "Queen of Aloha," retires Friday after more than a half-century on the job she started when she was 18 years old.

To put this into perspective, she's been working with the same employer for longer than many of us have been alive.

The article doesn't mention why she's retiring, although it doesn't sound as though she's really ready to leave.

An amazing feat... to work for one employer for so long... congrats to her...

I wished I had something to back this up, but back when I was young I worked for Flour in the mail room... they had an employee 'paper'.. once they had an article of this lady that had worked for the firm for 45 years and had never taken a single sick day... amazing to me...

Then again, my sister worked as a teacher for 41... which is even more amazing when you talk to teachers who are burned out in 4 or 5 years...

Amazing how people rack up the years. My dad retired after 45 years at State. And there was an article about our University Rabbi. He just celebrated 40 years and is going to continue to work.

I've heard of working for chickenfeed, but this is ridiculous...

I'm guessing Fluor? ;)

LOL... well, the mind sees what it wants to see and the fingers do as they want... but yes... Fluor... :D

There is a guy still working at my former employer who has been there for 60 years. He is age 80+. I think that is sad. His job has been his entire life.

Work is both an economic and social activity. Some people work extended hours or for many years because they would rather be at work than at home. 'Nuf said.

Work is both an economic and social activity. Some people work extended hours or for many years because they would rather be at work than at home. 'Nuf said.

Some look at work as giving them a purpose in life. These are the ones who work because they truly enjoy what they're doing, or those who view what they're doing with a sense of duty. In either case, they don't want to do anything else.

There is a guy still working at my former employer who has been there for 60 years. He is age 80+. I think that is sad. His job has been his entire life.

Not necessarily sad. We are all different.

If he feels a sense of community and purpose at work, who is to say that his life experience is any less real or meaningful than that of the majority of people who derive such benefits through their family, friends, hobbies, volunteering, religion, etc.?

I think a lot of elderly folks waste away and die not due to health reasons per say, but because they believe there's nothing more to give to society..........

I have seen plenty of elderly folks become healthier, more vibrant, etc,by getting them involved in things.......:)

Back
Top Bottom