Fun times: negotiating a job offer in this economy

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Me: I looked at your offer, and it's good, but want to discuss a few things in light of my experience...value-add...long term committment...I need a higher base salary.

Them: No.

Me: Ok, then how about a signing bonus, which is standard for this type of position.

Me: Ok, your current vacation offer is also below market. How about a extra week of vacation? Doesn't cost you anything.

Me: Hmm...

[Reads more articles about layoffs and unemployment rising]

Me: I'll take it.

Congratulations on the job offer.

Good that you asked for more, even if to no avail--it showed the company you're not shy, which to me would seem to be a good trait for an employee if you ever need to ask a client for more money, for example.

I'll have an interesting story about DD's first job offer in a few days. I'd post it now, but I don't want to get any advice that I would be tempted to pass on to her. That is, I don't want to influence her decision in any way.

Me: I looked at your offer, and it's good, but want to discuss a few things in light of my experience...value-add...long term committment...I need a higher base salary.
At least they're not blowing smoke about their long-term commitment to you, which should make it a lot easier to execute a guilt-free job-hop at the first higher-earning opportunity...

I'll have an interesting story about DD's first job offer in a few days. I'd post it now, but I don't want to get any advice that I would be tempted to pass on to her. That is, I don't want to influence her decision in any way.

You have good sense, Al.

Echoing Nords, companies with this type of attitude seem to forget that things turn around eventually. And when that happens, all of the employees they underpaid bolt for the door.

Once I worked for a company that wasn't shy about pressing their advantage in economic downturns. I even got a memo from my boss to the effect "we know no one is hiring in this economic climate, so we will be reducing benefits and suspending all raises. People can still be promoted, but there will be no salary adjustments upward." It went on to discuss the great profitability of the company and the opportunity to leverage the poor job market for even greater savings on labor costs. They later made a 10% salary cut across the board (except senior execs). They were mostly right and there were very little opportunities elsewhere for almost a year. But as soon as outside firms were hiring, they lost everyone capable on the staff and were left with only deadwood and execs. A very short term strategy that gave very short term results.

Back
Top Bottom