Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Just a note... Things are changing already at Foxconn. The company is investing a fortune in robotics, with a goal of replacing much of that labor force with high end programmable automation. Boppers don't need a biscuit and a cup of tea to get started.

IF these factories were to return to the US, they wouldn't look like Apples old 1985 Elk Grove or Fort Collins plants. They'd look more like Mr. Jobs 1989 NeXT Computer plant, with lines of robots each ready to process assemblies as the previous robots finished their work. The vast supply networks to build this stuff in the US are long gone, though. I don't know, for example, of any plants here that would be willing to build six layer flexible surface mount boards, to be delivered in lots of 10,000 every 12 hours on custom reusable carriers for a fabrication line. There are probably 20 such qualified suppliers in Taiwan or Shenzhen.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Come to think of it, in a country like China whose economy has been rising at an enviable rate, we would think that there are plenty of opportunities for young workers to rise to the middle class. It is not so, according to this article that I have shared before, China’s Army of Graduates Struggles for Jobs. An excerpt follows.
But the supply of those trained in accounting, finance and computer programming now seems limitless, and their value has plunged. Between 2003 and 2009, the average starting salary for migrant laborers grew by nearly 80 percent; during the same period, starting pay for college graduates stayed the same, although their wages actually decreased if inflation is taken into account.

Chinese sociologists have come up with a new term for educated young people who move in search of work like Ms. Liu: the ant tribe. It is a reference to their immense numbers — at least 100,000 in Beijing alone — and to the fact that they often settle into crowded neighborhoods, toiling for wages that would give even low-paid factory workers pause.
It appears that the only abundant jobs in China are tedious dormitory/factory jobs, and now even these are getting replaced with robots. Yet, there are many millionaires and billionaires in China now. It appears to me that with modern technology and the globalization of commerce, China will soon catch up to the US in terms of societal problems we are facing.

It's depressing. Perhaps I will not spend all of my kids' inheritance, but save some for them in the form of Krugerrands to be buried in my backyard.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Low wages will definately decrease the upward mobility of people starting out without capital though.

It's slow going to build up investment income when you make $10/hr.
Yep. The time for all this saving and investing was over the last 50 years. Still, not everyone is at $10 an hour yet--but the ones doing better still aren't doing much saving.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It appears to me that with modern technology and the globalization of commerce, China will soon catch up to the US in terms of societal problems we are facing.
Democracy in action!

I was afraid that we'd have to sell them Rockefeller Center and Pebble Beach before our subversive war plans took hold, but looks like things are going better than expected... maybe the (U.S.) military's ready for the downsizing after all.

Now about those biscuits & tea issues. How 'bout a nice Egg McMuffin instead? Perhaps with some Starbucks on the side?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Democracy in action!

I was afraid that we'd have to sell them Rockefeller Center and Pebble Beach
I thought they were bidding on our farm land and the Great Lakes. A little food and water and they're good to go........
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I thought they were bidding on our farm land and the Great Lakes. A little food and water and they're good to go........
Shucks, they'd solve a lot of our deficit problems if we could get them to pay a 50% cash deposit on California...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote