Join Early Retirement Today

Gave notice at Megacorp
Old 05-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave notice at Megacorp

With a target ER date of 8/3, and seven weeks of vacation saved up - I told my boss about my intention to quit working - with my last day at work being 6/15. As I've mentioned before (but don't really expect anyone to remember) I am 44 years old - and in a senior management position at Megacorp.

Needless to say - when I told my boss on Weds evening - he was shocked (as I expected he would be). He spent some time trying to talk me out of it (you know, looking out for my best interests by making sure I had considered all the implications of such a move, blah blah : ) We had to cut the talk short as it was getting really late (I purposely started the conversation very late in the day so it wouldn't go on all day).

On Thursday, he called a colleague of mine (who I didn't know about my plans) The colleague (who knows me pretty well)told him that he was sure I had put alot of consideration into it, and there was probably no chance that he could change my mind - and oh yeah how great it sounded and how happy he was for me!

Late in the day on Thursday - after that conversation with my colleague (and buddy!) - my boss called me, and, with resignation in his voice, told me he knew I was set in my decision, wished me well, and apologized for trying to talk me out of it.

On Tuesday I will be telling my staff. That conversation will be weird too, but alot easier....

All in all - I feel a huge relief (I knew how the conversation with my boss was going to go and was dreading it) - and just now the reality of the situation is starting to set in - and it feels good.

It will be interesting to see how I'm treated over the next 5 weeks by coworkers......
genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Gave notice at Megacorp
Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!!!

Almost 44 myself, but won't be having that conversation for about a decade.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis
With a target ER date of 8/3, and seven weeks of vacation saved up - I told my boss about my intention to quit working...

He spent some time trying to talk me out of it...
I'll bet the conversation went something like this:

"You can't retire, ghenghis!"

"Oh yes I kahn!"

(...OK, I'm done now.)

Congratulations.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we tell them it's like "you can't retire!" when the reality is they can't retire! Ha Ha we can and have and will continue to leave the work to those who forgot to plan to exit and enjoy!

Needless to say Genghis... CONGRATS!!!

crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
my boss called me, and, with resignation in his voice, told me he knew I was set in my decision, wished me well, and apologized for trying to talk me out of it.
Sounds like a classy supervisor.

Congrats on doing it at 44
Old 05-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
With a target ER date of 8/3, and seven weeks of vacation saved up - I told my boss about my intention to quit working - with my last day at work being 6/15. As I've mentioned before (but don't really expect anyone to remember) I am 44 years old - and in a senior management position at Megacorp.
Congratulations! Say good buy to the rat-race. But judging from you age and position in the company you sound like you were winning the rat race! I look forward to the day I can call it quits too. Good luck in your retirement.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

What a wonderful feeling that must of been! Congratulations on getting to ER so quickly!
Waive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

You da man!
Old 05-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #10

Congratulations!! Leaving the working world at 44 ..wow...good for you!!!

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You earned it! Congrats.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #12

Congrats. That's for pulling the cord when you did but, more importantly, when you knew you could.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #13

Congratulations on reaching the point where you could resign. Looking forward to hearing about what you are doing with your days once you are officially retired.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #14

Congrats. Now you can go pillage, plunder and create an empire. Unless it's too much w*rk.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the kind words!!! After 22 years of dreaming of the moment I could tell my boss that I'm going to retire, the actual act of doing it was amazingly difficult. I don't know if it is because of the fear of the uncertainty that living without a paycheck brings, the feeling that I'm letting people down by leaving (I attribute this to the Megacorp brainwashing that leads people to work long hours, weekends and well past retirement for the company's benefit), or maybe it's just the acknowledgement that I'm facing a major life change.

I feel very fortunate to be in this position at this point in my life. Although my immediate plans upon quitting consist mostly of sitting in the backyard and staring at the fence (beats working!) - I think that after a day or two of that I will be re-energized enough to begin moving into areas that REALLY interest me - without the ball and chain of a 5 day a week job holding me back.

Then again - I may notice that the fence needs painting.......

Old 05-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

Congrats, Genghis. Sets a good target for us young(er) dreamers. I hope you thoroughly enjoy doing nothing.
spitting_llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

On Tuesday I will be telling my staff. That conversation will be weird too, but alot easier....

So how did that go? Tracy
Tracy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I waited till the very end of the staff meeting - with about 5 minutes left and announced that I was leaving on June 15. There was a kind of stunned silence at first (I assume everyone begins thinking "how will this affect me!") but then some of the typical questions started coming re: what am I going to do, am I oing to get another job, etc. After the meeting, one of the employees congratulated me.

Needless to say, I felt there was alot more understanding from the people that work for me than there was from my boss of the desire to retire early!

So, now I have just over 4 weeks as a lame duck. My boss called me last night and asked if I had changed my mind - he was about to hit the send button to generate job req for my position. I told him to hit the button.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I gave 6 weeks notice in the (vain) hope that they would react and get off the dime and find some replacements. I leave in a day and a half and no new boss has yet been named...my regular job has not even been posted. So much for being a good "corporate citizen".

This week is dragging by. Everything is packed. Critical files transfered. Assigments given. Responsibilities delegated. Performance Evals. given. I am still attending meetings and making decisions.

Not exactly a lame duck...at least not yet. A large hole is about to form in the organization and people are feeling it and are finally "getting" the fact that come Friday noon....I am history.

The final signature is in sight...the final meeting has already been scheduled...the final forms completed and all that is left is to endure the hours before I am finally a free man. My 33 year sentence is almost at an end. The way I see it, I am getting off early with "good behavior" because had I not changed my life several years ago and adopted the "LBYM" lifestyle I would be doing the full stretch and would be here another 10 years. :P

Life on the "outside" is going to be sweet! DW has told me she will be my parole officer and will make sure I don't backside and end up back in the "joint."
Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

You're 19 days ahead of me.....but who's counting