Gave notice at Megacorp

genghis

Recycles dryer sheets
With a target ER date of 8/3, and seven weeks of vacation saved up - I told my boss about my intention to quit working - with my last day at work being 6/15. As I've mentioned before (but don't really expect anyone to remember) I am 44 years old - and in a senior management position at Megacorp.

Needless to say - when I told my boss on Weds evening - he was shocked (as I expected he would be). He spent some time trying to talk me out of it (you know, looking out for my best interests by making sure I had considered all the implications of such a move, blah blah ::) ) We had to cut the talk short as it was getting really late (I purposely started the conversation very late in the day so it wouldn't go on all day).

On Thursday, he called a colleague of mine (who I didn't know about my plans) The colleague (who knows me pretty well)told him that he was sure I had put alot of consideration into it, and there was probably no chance that he could change my mind - and oh yeah how great it sounded and how happy he was for me!

Late in the day on Thursday - after that conversation with my colleague (and buddy!) - my boss called me, and, with resignation in his voice, told me he knew I was set in my decision, wished me well, and apologized for trying to talk me out of it.

On Tuesday I will be telling my staff. That conversation will be weird too, but alot easier....

All in all - I feel a huge relief (I knew how the conversation with my boss was going to go and was dreading it) - and just now the reality of the situation is starting to set in - and it feels good.

It will be interesting to see how I'm treated over the next 5 weeks by coworkers......

Congratulations!!!

Almost 44 myself, but won't be having that conversation for about a decade.

genghis said:
With a target ER date of 8/3, and seven weeks of vacation saved up - I told my boss about my intention to quit working...

He spent some time trying to talk me out of it...

I'll bet the conversation went something like this:

"You can't retire, ghenghis!"

"Oh yes I kahn!"

(...OK, I'm done now.)

Congratulations. ;)

When we tell them it's like "you can't retire!" when the reality is they can't retire! Ha Ha we can and have and will continue to leave the work to those who forgot to plan to exit and enjoy!

Needless to say Genghis... CONGRATS!!! ;)

genghis said:
my boss called me, and, with resignation in his voice, told me he knew I was set in my decision, wished me well, and apologized for trying to talk me out of it.

Sounds like a classy supervisor.

Congrats on doing it at 44

genghis said:
With a target ER date of 8/3, and seven weeks of vacation saved up - I told my boss about my intention to quit working - with my last day at work being 6/15. As I've mentioned before (but don't really expect anyone to remember) I am 44 years old - and in a senior management position at Megacorp.

Congratulations! Say good buy to the rat-race. But judging from you age and position in the company you sound like you were winning the rat race! I look forward to the day I can call it quits too. Good luck in your retirement.

What a wonderful feeling that must of been! Congratulations on getting to ER so quickly!

Congratulations!! Leaving the working world at 44 ..wow...good for you!!!

You earned it! Congrats.

Congrats. That's for pulling the cord when you did but, more importantly, when you knew you could.

Congratulations on reaching the point where you could resign. Looking forward to hearing about what you are doing with your days once you are officially retired.

Congrats. Now you can go pillage, plunder and create an empire. Unless it's too much w*rk.

Thanks for all the kind words!!! After 22 years of dreaming of the moment I could tell my boss that I'm going to retire, the actual act of doing it was amazingly difficult. I don't know if it is because of the fear of the uncertainty that living without a paycheck brings, the feeling that I'm letting people down by leaving (I attribute this to the Megacorp brainwashing that leads people to work long hours, weekends and well past retirement for the company's benefit), or maybe it's just the acknowledgement that I'm facing a major life change.

I feel very fortunate to be in this position at this point in my life. Although my immediate plans upon quitting consist mostly of sitting in the backyard and staring at the fence (beats working!) - I think that after a day or two of that I will be re-energized enough to begin moving into areas that REALLY interest me - without the ball and chain of a 5 day a week job holding me back.

Then again - I may notice that the fence needs painting.......

Congrats, Genghis. Sets a good target for us young(er) dreamers. I hope you thoroughly enjoy doing nothing. :D

I waited till the very end of the staff meeting - with about 5 minutes left and announced that I was leaving on June 15. There was a kind of stunned silence at first (I assume everyone begins thinking "how will this affect me!") but then some of the typical questions started coming re: what am I going to do, am I oing to get another job, etc. After the meeting, one of the employees congratulated me.

Needless to say, I felt there was alot more understanding from the people that work for me than there was from my boss of the desire to retire early!

So, now I have just over 4 weeks as a lame duck. My boss called me last night and asked if I had changed my mind - he was about to hit the send button to generate job req for my position. I told him to hit the button.

I gave 6 weeks notice in the (vain) hope that they would react and get off the dime and find some replacements. I leave in a day and a half and no new boss has yet been named...my regular job has not even been posted. So much for being a good "corporate citizen". :bat:

This week is dragging by. Everything is packed. Critical files transfered. Assigments given. Responsibilities delegated. Performance Evals. given. I am still attending meetings and making decisions. :(

Not exactly a lame duck...at least not yet. A large hole is about to form in the organization and people are feeling it and are finally "getting" the fact that come Friday noon....I am history. :D

The final signature is in sight...the final meeting has already been scheduled...the final forms completed and all that is left is to endure the hours before I am finally a free man. My 33 year sentence is almost at an end. The way I see it, I am getting off early with "good behavior" because had I not changed my life several years ago and adopted the "LBYM" lifestyle I would be doing the full stretch and would be here another 10 years. :p

Life on the "outside" is going to be sweet! DW has told me she will be my parole officer and will make sure I don't backside and end up back in the "joint." ;)

SteveR said:
A large hole is about to form in the organization ... come Friday noon, I am history.

A legend in his own mind! :p :p :p

Milton said:

Hmmmm. I can understand why you might take that comment out of context and post such an uncomplimentary remark. However, those of us who have been following the adventures of SteveR have an entirely different take.

Milton said:

Steve's not that type of guy and I for one wish him all the best in his retirement. I believe he speaks with a pure heart.

REWahoo! said:
Hmmmm. I can understand why you might take that comment out of context and post such an uncomplimentary remark. However, those of us who have been following the adventures of SteveR have an entirely different take.

My post was meant to be tongue in cheek, and I apologize if it came across as mean-spirited or unduly personal. I don't pretend to know his particular circumstances, and readily defer to your more informed judgment.

That said, none of us are irreplaceable ... which is a blessing for all concerned.

Milton said:
My post was meant to be tongue in cheek, and I apologize if it came across as mean-spirited or unduly personal. I don't pretend to know his particular circumstances, and readily defer to your more informed judgment.

That said, none of us are irreplaceable ... which is a blessing for all concerned.

Apology accepted. No problem.

My comment is factual. I have been doing two Director level jobs in the department for the past 6 months. One is my own; the other my boss's position. His position is the highest ranking person in the department and at the site for Quality. My position represents 33 years of Quality and Regulatory compliance experience. There is no one named to fill either of these positions despite my giving 6 weeks notice. The hole I was alluding to is very real for the organization as both of these positions are critical (but not irreplaceable). These positions will be filled in time. But in the interim, there will most certainly be a hole in the organization.

Back
Top Bottom