Join Early Retirement Today

Goal setting...
Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Goal setting...

I love thinking of new ways to motivate myself.

My wife and I are now focusing intently at paying off our land. (We built our house paycheck my paycheck)

Tonight I took a picture of our land from google maps, and turned it into a grid. Each square is worth $2000. Currently we are paying off almost $2k of principle each month.

It is sobering to think I have still not paid for the land under my house. Prior to the great depression the note on home mortages could be called at any time. If our bank did that today I would loose the roof over my child's head! I want to know my land is mine!!!

1/3 of the squares have been filled in. I hope to fill in the rest of the map in the next 18 months.

rw
rw86347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Goal setting...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck in getting it paid off.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #3

I love that idea to keep track of your progress. Much more impressive than a statement from your bank.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #4

How much land? I have 5 acres paid for. I look at multi-hundred acre properites and wish I had them. Can't afford them though.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 5.9 acres which I bought 4 years ago for $85K. My wife and I build a house on the land paycheck by paycheck. As of today we owe $58K. We hope to pay off the remaining land in the next 18 months.

Below is a satilite image of my property. The green section is my land. by clicking on the push pin you can see and image of my house.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...a1aeb792&msa=0

I love listening to Dave Ramsey. And he has convinced me to be 100% debt free. So my wife and me have been living like college students in order to pay off our land and my rental. In total I believe this will take 5 years. But when I am done my passive income will equal my monthly expences!!! :-D Then I was thinking about saving $200K for one more duplex.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #6

rw86347,

Is that a proposed superhighway approximately 230 ft from your house?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How COOL! the house is amazing! Beautiful!

I love the idea of the grid, that would have been fun for us as well!
We paid cash for the land (4 acres), and spent another $75k in cash towards the house, then borrowed $60k to finish it up. We will be writing the last check to pay it off in August, and you can bet we'll be calling up to shout "we're debt free"!

Way to go!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
rw86347,

Is that a proposed superhighway approximately 230 ft from your house?
yes, maybe even less. If it goes through it will mean I will loose my entire property. Some of my nieghbors are up in arms. I am at peace with it. It will be a private highway designed for 125 mph safe travel (85 mph speed limit). It will be 200 miles long.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw86347
If it goes through it will mean I will loose my entire property. Some of my nieghbors are up in arms. I am at peace with it.
That's a good attitude to have. They'll pay you what it's worth (and then some, probably).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
How COOL! the house is amazing! Beautiful!

I love the idea of the grid, that would have been fun for us as well!
We paid cash for the land (4 acres), and spent another $75k in cash towards the house, then borrowed $60k to finish it up. We will be writing the last check to pay it off in August, and you can bet we'll be calling up to shout "we're debt free"!

Way to go!

Sarah
Thank you so much for the compliment. I love my sweet *little* house. And I think it has been a good witness to my nieghbors. I make three times the average income for keenesburg, and live in 1/2 the house.

Please record the show and email it to me!!! I don't want to miss it. I will be able to tell my wife, "yep I know her from online!".

I can't wait to have everything paid off. Someday I will be able to sit back in my little home, spending time with my daughters putzing around in my shop. :-D
Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Tonight I took a picture of our land from google maps, and turned it into a grid.

I'm not sure I agree with the concept of pre-paying your mortgage that aggressively, but the "grid" is pretty cool. Congrats on at least having a plan...

- M
milmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmoose
Tonight I took a picture of our land from google maps, and turned it into a grid.

I'm not sure I agree with the concept of pre-paying your mortgage that aggressively, but the "grid" is pretty cool. Congrats on at least having a plan...

- M
This last July I was laid off from my job. I found a job 2 weeks later. But, having my house paid for would allow me to live off of unemployment. Knowing I could live off of unemployment will be invaluable. And once I am done paying off everything my NW should reach $1M. I see it as security and wealth building. I would really like to own $700k worth of paid off real estate, $400k working for me.

One more duplex would bring in close to $4k/mo. And without a job, I might enjoy some part time maintnance.

In the mean time I am continueing to save $20,000/yr in retirement savings.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #13

I have about 15K in my 5 acres. Of course it has no view or any attractive qualities, other than the price. Pretty much out in the boonies. No cell phones or cable TV. Trees on two sides. I am planting more on the third side. Two acres of it are across a big ditch which needs a foot bridge to get to it. Otherwise you walk through the muddy ditch. Twenty miles to Wal Mart. Wish it was farther.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
yes, maybe even less. If it goes through it will mean I will loose my entire property. Some of my nieghbors are up in arms. I am at peace with it. It will be a private highway designed for 125 mph safe travel (85 mph speed limit). It will be 200 miles long.
Sorry, I have to ask. Are you looking around for (before your neighbors) at a place to move?
PPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

<snip>

It will be a private highway designed for 125 mph safe travel (85 mph speed limit). It will be 200 miles long.
The needle on my BS meter is pegged to redline. :

But, back on topic, supposedly a single digit percentage of people actually write down goals. The grid concept sounds like a pretty darned good one.

-CC
Old 05-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE

But, back on topic, supposedly a single digit percentage of people actually write down goals. The grid concept sounds like a pretty darned good one.

-CC
Agreed--I've always been a natural plan/goal writer, and I've always been surprised how many people don't. How do you get where you wanna go if you don't have a destination or a map? Somehow I doubt that only a single digit percentage of folks on this board write down their goals, which probably proves my point.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow RW great program keep running it.
I like to listen to Dave Ramsey too, only one day a week on my day off as the podcasting was ending up on my son's IPOD and causing a family crisis. Not sure about all the financial advice but the behavior advice is excellent and the weekly session is akin to group therapy. Much like this board is group therapy (put down that mouse don't sell, mainatain your AA)
Love your LBYM triple the income 1/2 the house. Excellent!!!!
Love the grid, that is the behavior that creates wins!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl
Wow RW great program keep running it.
I like to listen to Dave Ramsey too, only one day a week on my day off as the podcasting was ending up on my son's IPOD and causing a family crisis. Not sure about all the financial advice but the behavior advice is excellent and the weekly session is akin to group therapy. Much like this board is group therapy (put down that mouse don't sell, mainatain your AA)
Love your LBYM triple the income 1/2 the house. Excellent!!!!
Love the grid, that is the behavior that creates wins!
We just got back from our QMR (Quarterly Marriage Retreat). On this retreat we grade 4 aspects of our financial lives. It was great. We drove to KC to listen to Dave Ramsey. It was a huge motivator. I really believe we will have our house paid for by its 5 year birthday!

We grade ourselves in 4 areas...

Frugality test ... all non-mortgage required expeces have to be less than $1700/mo.
Savings goals ... This has never been an issue for us, but we have increased it to $24k/yr
Home payoff ... right now we are slightly ahead of our goal.
Tithe ... We relized we came up $250 short this last year.

... Oh and I got to fill in 3 more squares on my map! :-D
Old 05-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPT
Sorry, I have to ask. Are you looking around for (before your neighbors) at a place to move?
Nope.

I will wait until I have cash in hand. I don't mind being homless for a short period of time. :-D
Old 05-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
The needle on my BS meter is pegged to redline. :
I don't get the BS meter... The local speed limit in Colorado is 75.