Good Read

popowich

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello,

Can anyone recommend some good books to read?

I'm not looking for personal finance tips other dry stock market trading topics.

I just want something enjoyable to read that somehow relates to money. :D

-Raymond

Two good reads

If you're into WWII history, especially reading about the exploits of the ordinary citizen soldier, I highly recommend the following:

Beyond the Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters by Dick Winters

Brothers in Battle:Best of Friends by Robyn Post

Most folks are familiar with the HBO mini-series Band of Brothers along with the book of the same name by Stephen Ambrose. Both books listed above are "additional" accounts of their individual experiences as part of Easy Company.

The first book is by Dick Winters who was the company commander of Easy and is a great read about leadership in combat. Too bad "The Decider" didn't practice some of the examples of leadership demonstrated by Major Winters before he decided to become the War President. I didn't mean to get political however after reading the book one sees the awesome responsibility and judgement required by a military leader to send men to their death. That should be especially true of the Commander in Chief.

The second book is about the lives/experiences of Bill Guarnere and Babe Heffron both from South Philly and members of Easy Company. It is absolutely spellbinding to read about their exploits during the war especially the Battle of the Bulge. How they were able to withstand the physical and mental stresses of being an infantry soldier is amazing. It will really give you an idea of what personal sacrifice is all about.

You won't be disappointed reading either of these books.

For an enjoyable read try " Bringing down the house " about the MIT students who counted cards in Vegas . It is a fun light read .

For an enjoyable read try " Bringing down the house " about the MIT students who counted cards in Vegas . It is a fun light read .
A fascinating book. Could not put it down. I did not see the movie but I heard it was not as good as the book.

Do you have a dog?

Marley and Me is a good one for anybody that has a dog or has ever had a dog. If you're thinking about getting a dog...hold off on reading it until after you've got the dog...otherwise you'll never get one. :)

Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole for an epic comedy,
Liar's Poker AND Moneyball by Michael Lewis, both great books on completely different subjects
Freakonomics if you haven't...

The Forsyte Saga, by John Galsworthy. About the upper middle class in the 1880s thru the 1920s. Money is a big theme, since the Forsyte family defines itself by its possessions. The character of Soames Forsyte is one of the most interesting in literature, IMHO -- unpleasant, greedy, totally self-centered -- and yet somehow understandable and even sympathetic in a weird way, at times.

Back
Top Bottom