Grrrr...

That is the best revenge! DW quit her job to stay home with the kids, but they really needed her expertise (Biotech) so she became a consultant with her former company being the biggest client. She heard the VP raged at her hourly rate...but paid the bill. A year and a half later they are still paying! She's only working 10 hours a week, but it really helps.

Heh, I consulted for the boss part time for a while before I came here. Hourly rate was pretty obscene then, and I am more valuable now.

The way they treated you really sucks. Every time I read a story like yours, I realize no way could I ever go back to that workaday world.

Well....I end up working at home for a few hours every day (some of it is lack of a proper computer/printer and some general health issues) and frankly dont know what the big deal is except maybe a micromanager wanting you around to bother...I used to do more work that way and even with my general slide, still do...

Had some soothing noises made at me by the head dog. I could probably have a sit-down and get "satisfaction", but I just don't see the point. I am still PO'd, but I also have had the moment of clarity that, for all the positives of this job, it is slowly draining me and it is too hard on my family. If I could telecommute 2 or 3 days a week I would probably stay, but I know that would never be on the table. When I bow out, I suspect I will get a heavy sell to stay, and actually making job interviews is going to be a challenge without setting off the employer tripwires.

Brewer - why not get it on the table. If your plan is to leave then you have nothing to lose by asking.

DD

Brewer - why not get it on the table. If your plan is to leave then you have nothing to lose by asking.

DD

Not gonna work at all most likely, but if I were to get away with it I would have to be in an extremely string negotiating position (about to walk out the door). If I did now I would be A) fommenting revolt in certain people's eyes and B) endangering my bonus (assuming there is one). Best to do this with an offer in hand the day after the bonus has cleared my checking account.

The best advise I know to give you is just continue to give it your best and stay focused. I know you are pissed but the more you steam over this incident, the longer the days will seem to you. Not easy to do. But knowing that you have other options, let that be the bright light and goal that gets you through the daily grind. Better days are ahead.

That's pretty much what I did. I was so sick of work towards the end of my career, I had to think of the better days ahead. And now those days are here. :D
BTW, how many more years of 'Corporate' work and savings do you need before you can move into a more independent role? Such as being a Financial Advisor.

The best advise I know to give you is just continue to give it your best and stay focused. I know you are pissed but the more you steam over this incident, the longer the days will seem to you. Not easy to do. But knowing that you have other options, let that be the bright light and goal that gets you through the daily grind. Better days are ahead.

That's pretty much what I did. I was so sick of work towards the end of my career, I had to think of the better days ahead. And now those days are here. :D
BTW, how many more years of 'Corporate' work and savings do you need before you can move into a more independent role? Such as being a Financial Advisor.

*Sigh*

That was the original plan, but I just cannot keep up with the speed the treadmill is set on. And you should see how much happier DW is now that the decision has been made.

Wow, dude. That is piss poor how things went down. It absolutely baffles me how mgmt expectations can dictate behavior(s) that have NO correlation to your job performance. Makes me crazy.

Good riddance... and best of luck.

Brewer, I don't know how I missed this thread!

Good luck with the search, now is a great time to be looking.

Make sure whatever you do to take a month off before starting the new gig. Do not under any circumstances even think about starting your own fund. If you think the investing part is hard, compound that with all the legal crap that goes into a new fund and it just isn't worth it.

Next instalment: Brewer's Job Search!
We expect a blow by blow account.......but we're rootin' for ya!

Just don't tell us how you "settled" for $175k plus bonuses, I don't want to be too jealous! ;)

Eh, I intend to be very selective, so it may take a while.

I'm with you on this one. It is clearly the hardest part. Once you get to a certain stage, you don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, but at the same time, trying to find the perfect fit is maddening.

The biggest problem I find is trying to find a j*b that meets ALL of my criteria - since many of these criteria are the kinds of things that employers don't want to give - flexibility, independence, respect, intellectual challenge, good pay, but not the hours and demands that will suck your life away.

A toast to success!

Yeah, I've been looking for my dream job for several years, and haven't found it. Maybe it's ER!

The biggest problem I find is trying to find a j*b that meets ALL of my criteria - since many of these criteria are the kinds of things that employers don't want to give - flexibility, independence, respect, intellectual challenge, good pay, but not the hours and demands that will suck your life away.

A toast to success!

Gulp....yeah...that list is hard one...:(

Let your local headhunter do some looking. The only problem with those guys is they will bug the crap out of you once they smell the commission. When I used them in the past... I was always very clear about what I wanted and to not bother me with other opportunities.

They will tend to run everything past you to see if you will bite the hook. But still, they can be very effective.

One other tip... be selective on the HH. Study the organization and find the most successful one. Then interview the HH before you engage. IMO- if you go that route make sure he or she has at least 5 years experience in that game 10 would be better.

I am so steamed, I am about ready to tell my employer where they can shove it.

I've had it. That is the last effing straw. Time to update the resume and start looking. Nothing is worth this. :rant:

Brewer:

You sound exactly like I did about a year ago. Everything they did ate me up! We would spend a dollar to chase a nickel!

FWIW here is what changed my thoughts about jacka$$e$ at my work and the tur& polishing tasks they hand out. One of the old timers told me about obtaining his ability to retire anytime (aka FI), "If I get mad anymore around here, it is my fault."

I don't know your financial situation, but myself, I'm just new to FI, so I started using his "motto". It helps me laugh and enjoy the "circus", all three rings. My hope is that you can too.

Hillbilly

Back
Top Bottom