Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Handed in my resignation
Old 09-09-2006, 02:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Handed in my resignation

I've resigned from my job, i just couldnt take the pressure/stress anymore and it was having an adverse effect on my health

I have mixed feelings, im glad to be out of there but then im scared i wont find anything else. Im only 33 and some way from FIRE

i leave in one months time after that im hoping to get some contract work, but obviously no guarantees

luckily i have been adopting LBYM for some time so I wont starve (YET)

Its ironic that you cant live with a job and you cant live without one .....
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Handed in my resignation
Old 09-09-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Clalire...

Your health is a lot more important.... never work at a place that affects your health negatively...

You will get another job... say it now... YOU WILL GET ANOTHER JOB..

You say you have some savings... so do not worry... it may take awhile, or the best one can come up in a week... but it will come... and do some contract work... I have a friend who has been the controller of a few smaller firms... so it was harder for him to find a job.. got laid off when a new CEO came in... so, started to work contract because of some problems with the kids... his wife make good money.. so he is now the main caretaker... but he seems to be always able to find some contract work..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yep, the pressure/stress from being unemployed can affect your health as well.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wish you the best Claire, but the proper way to find a new job is this:

1.* Find the new job first
2.* Leave the old one.

and in that order.

The reason is actually less because you probably have bills to pay like me and much more so because without a current job, you have far less leverage in getting a new one, and getting a competitive salary.* In the interview, they will ask you where you work now, and when you say you're "between jobs" (or even tell the truth), they're either going to be more apprehensive to hiring you, will not be as open to negotiation or both.

Better to grin and bear the job you hate and just funnel that energy into getting a better one if you dont like your current job.* * Guess its too late for that now, but well there's always a next time.

Also, if its stress you want to avoid, then I would think the last thing you would want to do is put yourself in a time crunch to find a new job via quitting your old one first.

Azanon
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #5

claire: I am sure that it will work out fine....I know that several folks here have taken a break and it turned out fine.... My sister did the same thing a few years ago after finishing her MBA...
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
hoping to get some contract work,
That's the ticket. That's what I did at about your age. It worked out great.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks TP, anzanon, maddy, LOL, trombone for all your kind wods and support

I know it is not the ideal way to do things, but i should explain that the job has recently got a lot worse because they had a re-organisation/made redundancies as a result of which we all got a much higher case load, i should also explain that they expect us to service a client base all over the country (this distance is to be covered by driving)

last week i did 20 hours worth of travel and then had to work a full day when i got to my destination/s - fyi i have attempted to downshift/try another role within the organisation and this was fine - until the redundancies - they had less people and so i had to go back on the tools (so to speak)

anyway we will see how it goes .....

claire x

Old 09-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #8

Azanon, getting a new job before you let go of the old one is the preferred way of changing jobs, but there are exceptions. For instance, when you want to switch careers, it almost invariably require some schooling, and the faster you get done with it, the faster you can get on with your new career. I would say that the best way in this case is to just get the pain over and done with and then view the first job as one big internship but with a definite end date if the pay doesn't get better.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Claire, I think you did the right thing. It sounds as if your job was completely consuming (and destroying) your life. Practically speaking, there would not have been time to look for another position while driving 20 hours a week plus working full time.

This is a wonderful opportunity to take some extra training in something you have always wanted to do, or to brush up a key skill. Try to do that part time, while you are making contacts - and smelling the roses.

Here in North America, employers are slowly waking up to the fact that there is a looming labour shortage in all fields. (Not sure if this is the case in the UK). The employer you want to work for understands that people need not and should not tolerate unreasonable working conditions over the long term.

Good luck in your new adventure - and keep the board posted!

Meadbh
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Like others have said, it is normaly best to have something else before leaving, but I really do not understand why companies are so gung ho on this. What is the big deal if someone wants to take some time off (6 months to a year) and do whatever they want to do....uggghhh, I just have such a hate for the whole corporate BS and unfortunately I work for a big company and deal with crap every day
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Kind of a scarey time, I'm sure, but sounds like the mounting frustrations required some type of action on your part. Not sure what line of work you are in, but at your age, something will come up and employers no longer look upon a past resignation as necessarily negative.

Only suggestion I can add is that when your prospective new employers ask why you quit your last job, have a well thought-out and honest reply, like "I take my work pretty seriously and really like to do things right. I just felt that the mounting disorganization/morale problems (whatever) had gotten to the point that I couldn't even meet my own standards. I prefer an environment where I feel supported in doing the best job I can." You get the picture. Personally I would not single out problems with a boss, poor quality co-workers or anything else that make you seem like "not a team player."

Good luck. You'll be fine.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I would just throw one thought out there. You probably know this but I didn't apply the knowledge in my own case until just this year.

When you are looking for a new job, network, network, network. Start keeping a list of people you feel you could ask for help and then start asking them. Think of people you know from work, school, church, organized activities, neighbors, relatives, people on this board, etc. You'd be surprised how much people are willing to help, especially if you are appropriately respectful of their time and appreciative of their efforts on your behalf. You can then expand this list by asking the people on your list if they know anyone who works at company X or in field Y (your target company or field) that might be willing to help you.

I have heard it said that the vast majority of jobs are found or landed via such personal connections and in my case the percentage is over 90%. Skip, or put at the bottom of your list, sending out bunches of resumes, applying through government job services, answering help wanted ads, etc.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire

after that im hoping to get some contract work, but obviously no guarantees

I'm interviewing for a 6 month contract position (maybe a longer duration) this week that pay $85 per hour. Depending on what your field you're in, there may be many opportunities out there. I get calls all day long for work all over the US because of the field I'm in.

I may leave mega corp and contract for while, take time off, contract for a while, then take more time off 8)
Old 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I left one of my first jobs in June, 1978 because the boss was an SOB.
Worked at PT stints for a few months and started work with my present employer in early 1979. Best move I ever made. Of course it was easier to leave a job when you have no house payment, car payment, wife or children.
I still have no car payment or children but could pay off the house and leave for the house at any time.
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521

When you are looking for a new job, network, network, network. Start keeping a list of people you feel you could ask for help and then start asking them. Think of people you know from work, school, church, organized activities, neighbors, relatives, people on this board, etc. You'd be surprised how much people are willing to help, especially if you are appropriately respectful of their time and appreciative of their efforts on your behalf. You can then expand this list by asking the people on your list if they know anyone who works at company X or in field Y (your target company or field) that might be willing to help you.

I have heard it said that the vast majority of jobs are found or landed via such personal connections and in my case the percentage is over 90%. Skip, or put at the bottom of your list, sending out bunches of resumes, applying through government job services, answering help wanted ads, etc.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

2Cor521
2Cor521 gives very good advice. I would add that be prepared to get a lot of cold shoulders. You won't believe the difference in reception you get between when your business card states Senior XYZ from MegaCorp vs. MBA Candidate from ABC. LOL. To give you an example, I was at an Ibank information session two days ago. Tried to talk to one woman. Unfortunately, she only had eyes for the Ibankers.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Rich, this is great advice, thanks also to Buns, second and pol and everyone else.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Claire -- My experience differs sharply from what I'm hearing below, so I'll throw it into the pot to round it out...

I did this once myself -- quit a job without an alternative lined up. Best thing I ever did -- the job was TOXIC. As with your case, there had been layoffs, workloads had doubled overnight, and the environment was depressing in the extreme.

I was a decade older than you at the time, and took a year between that job and my next to detoxify.

It was NEVER a problem. When I came back to the industry I explained that I took a year off due to burnout, then launched into the hard work, dedication, and record of accomplishment that led to my needing a break. Several interviewers expressed envy when they heard about my time off! (They were all burned out too and understood completely.)

I got several job offers.

You'll be fine -- shake the dust of the place off your shoes and don't look back.

Best of luck to you,
Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote