HELP! Willpower weakening! Yearning to buy barely-affordable luxury house!

Tortfeasor,

Just out of curiosity, is this house in Emigration Canyon? We are moving to SLC and saw only one house selling for 725k in this part of the city. DW has this house on her radar and we will be checking it out later this month!

Outby7 said:
Tortfeasor,

Just out of curiosity, is this house in Emigration Canyon? We are moving to SLC and saw only one  house selling for 725k in this part of the city. DW has this house on her radar and we will be checking it out later this month!

There are a couple of us that live in or near SLC. Seen me a message if you want some specifics on the areas and housing here.

SLC--glad your got a grip on your housing whim. The market is still going nuts here; we are sort of behind the rest of the country (as always) so our bubble is still growing. Home prices shot up about 15-20% last year and sales were hot. The higher end market is cooling down but the low to middle end is still rising at about that rate and they can't build them fast enough on the west side of the valley. Sales in my area have slowed down and houses are sitting longer than earlier last year. Prices on the east side are down just a bit.

Outby7 said:
Tortfeasor,

Just out of curiosity, is this house in Emigration Canyon? We are moving to SLC and saw only one  house selling for 725k in this part of the city. DW has this house on her radar and we will be checking it out later this month!

Nope, it's not in Emigration Canyon.  I know the one you're talking about though.  It looks really nice online.  And Emigration Canyon would be a really great place to live.  It's just not the one for us though.

I agree with Steve R's assessment of the market here.  It may actually get more bubbly here, because a lot of real estate speculators are now realizing they have to move their investments off the coasts if they want a chance at making money.  So they're sending their money to places like Utah, which have been relatively undervalued for a while.

Who comes up with these names "emigrant" and "emigration".

Every time I see them, I think I'm going to have to leave the country to do business with them... ;)

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:

Every time I see them, I think I'm going to have to leave the country to do business with them... ;)

SteveR, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Donner Party came through Emigration Canyon on their way to California. Actually, so did the Mormon pioneers who were exploring the Salt Lake Valley for the first time. The name probably comes from their "emigration" westward.

Or maybe not.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:

SLC Tortfeasor is correct, these names come from the settlement history of the Mormon pioneers.

but I think that the Donner Party came through Emigration Canyon on their way to California.  Actually, so did the Mormon pioneers who were exploring the Salt Lake Valley

The Mormons came down Emigration Canyon, hence the name, but the Donner party actually came down Weber Canyon which is about 30 miles north.

This route over the Wasatch mountains and the Great Salt Lake salt flats was "sold" to them by a guy named Lansford Hastings as a short cut.  This short cut and a couple of other mis-judgements cost them at least a month compared to the standard route through southern Idaho and then south in to nothern Nevada.  They were three miles from the top of the summit when they stopped to wait out the first major storm of the season.  The storm didn't stop until there was 6-10 feet of snow on the ground and as the say "the rest is history."

Irving Stone in Men to Match My Mountains (an excellent book) describes Lansford Hastings in the lingo of that era as an "opportunist," a "political adventurer" and having "intemperate judgement" and that is why it is appropriate that one of the University of California law schools is named "Hastings."   :D :D ;)

MB

Interesting,

No Proof Donner Clan Were Cannibals

The book that I mentioned earlier talks about the cannibalism and the Donner Party separating into two different camps but it doesn't say anthing about the Donner family themselves participating or not participating.

By the way the Donners were one of CAs early FIREs.  Donner was a wealthy merchant, in his early 60s I think and was going to CA to retire (for the weather of course).  Any R was RE in those days although most died before their 60s I believe.

Based on the response to one of Spanky's posts it appears that the consensus is that CA doesn't treat aspiring ERs much better today!

MB

SLC,

I'm glad you didn't succumb to the temptation. Your delayed gratification caused you to realize that you didn't want/need the big house (and the big mortgage to go along with it). Houses are like anything else -- commodities. You may find that as interest rates rise, prices on "nice" (or even better) houses will drop. You'll have your pick of houses.

Patience is the key to rational thinking.

Whenever I go to a restaurant in the tahoe area and they ask for the name and number in my party, I still cant resist saying "Donner, five". Its old but still gets a few chuckles from people waiting when they announce over the loadspeaker "Donner...party of five" and I jump up and somewhat loudly say "thank god! we were starving!".

Yep, some forensic folks looked at the camps and found no evidence of human consumption, particularly at the donner family camp. Apparently burned bones last a long time while unburned bones disappear fairly quick. Plenty of burned animal bones but no human, so either they didnt eat the people or they ate them raw. Ick. Ick ick ick.

(Sick Nasty Bunny) said:
Whenever I go to a restaurant in the tahoe area and they ask for the name and number in my party, I still cant resist saying "Donner, five". Its old but still gets a few chuckles from people waiting when they announce over the loadspeaker "Donner...party of five" and I jump up and somewhat loudly say "thank god! we were starving!".

After they call you for seating, yell out, "Sorry, better make that four. We were REALLY hungry, if you know what I mean!".

(Sick Gross Bunny) said:
Plenty of burned animal bones but no human, so either they didnt eat the people or they ate them raw.

If you're gonna eat human, sushi style is the only way to go.

(this is sarcasm, you sick, sick people ;) )

justin said:
After they call you for seating, yell out, "Sorry, better make that four.  We were REALLY hungry, if you know what I mean!".

If you're gonna eat human, sushi style is the only way to go. 

(this is sarcasm, you sick, sick people ;)  )

Two cannibals are eating a clown. "Does this taste funny to you?"

Favorite cannibal snacks? Finger sandwiches.

Cannibal boy: "I hate my sister." Mother: "Well just eat the noodles then."

Did you hear about the Catholic cannibals? They only eat fishermen on Fridays.

A man was captured by cannibals. "What," asked the cannibal chief, licking his lips, "was your job before you were captured?"
"I was a newspaper man," came the reply.
"An editor?"
"No, merely a sub-editor."
"Cheer up. Promotion awaits you. After dinner you will be editor-in-chief."

Two cannibals were sitting beside the fire after a sumptuous meal. One turned to the other and siad:"Your wife sure makes a good roast."
"Yeah, I'm really going to miss her."

What is the title of the best-selling cannibal book?
"How To Serve Your Fellow Man."

What did the cannibal get when he was late for dinner?
The cold shoulder.

A cannibal is a guy who goes into a restaurant and orders the waiter.

Did you hear about the cannibal student who was suspended from school for buttering up his teacher?

Have you heard about the cannibal restaurant where dinner costs an arm and a leg?

What do cannibals do at a wedding?
They toast the bride and groom.

Back
Top Bottom