Hmm! Forced Early Retirement?!?

Bimmerbill

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, I've really been digging thru my options and accounts the last few weeks.
I called my HR office today with a question.  I am a military technician, so I am required to maintain my military membership in the national guard to work my federal job (DoD).

Well, I have a mandatory removal date of 2024, at which time I hit 28 years of comissioned service as an officer.  That puts me a few months shy of my 58th birthday and also makes me eligible for a Discontinued Service Retirement thru FERs. 

Since I will be forced out, I don't get hit with the early retirement penalty for retiring under age 62 (or 60, forgot which). 

That is pretty sweet, and makes me rethink my plan to retire from the national guard after 20 good years of service...

Bimmerbill said:
That is pretty sweet, and makes me rethink my plan to retire from the national guard after 20 good years of service...
That's a great deal, but the question that's been coming up a lot in Hawaii is this:
"Is it worth a two-year mobilization?"

Seen a lot of retirements and transfers to the inactive rolls...

Thats the question I've been trying to answer! With a new baby coming in 2-3 weeks I sure don't want to miss 18 months of her life. Or all if it if I don't come back...

I was planning on finding another federal job and retiring from the national guard. I'm not having much luck. I don't have a veterans preference, and I think that is hurting me.

I have until May07 until I get my 20 year letter. If I retire then, I will have a 20 year wait until I receive my first retirement check.

Back
Top Bottom