Hoping to get back on track

joshm34

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi All,

I found this forum a few weeks ago and am so glad I did. I am a long time Boglehead and was really into the retireearlyhomepage in college as well. I might as well introduce myself and tell you my story:

I became obsessed with investments/finance in college and landed a nice associate position at an investment firm after I graduated. I studied and passed the CFP exam within a year of getting my job (I can tell you now, 60% of the people with a CFP mark do not deserve to give out financial advice). After working for 2 years at the investment firm, I decided life was too short to sit in little ol' Maine my whole life, quit, and moved to San Diego. I ended up finding a job at a financial software start up, but was unfortunately very underpaid (I was promised a lot more money but I soon found out the start up was very under funded and could not meet promises). After continuous lies about money, I was pissed off to the point where I decided to create my own start up. After 6 months, I was lucky to sell the start up (it was a Groupon like site and we were going to get crushed competitively). I took a good deal of the proceeds to create another start up, only to realize my business partner was well, not on the same page. Having realized I needed to go back working for "the man", it has taken me 6 months to finally land a job, unfortunately no where near family and friends.

Here is my position:

401k/Roth: $27k
Down payment for a condo: $20k
Emergency Fund: $5k

Judging by other posts by people my age (who are not in the military), I'm doing ok. I LBYM and have always saved about 20% of my income (well, I couldn't at the software company but will at this new job). I'm a firm believer in indexing and am 100% in stocks (when the market goes down, I jump for joy-cheap shares!)

Looking forward to contributing!

Josh

Welcome back! You may want to re-post in the Hi I am forum, or ask the moderators to move this thread over - more people will see it that way.

It sounds like you've done well for yourself so far, congrats on your career successes. As you know, plenty of good info and advice to be found here, and we'll look forward to your contributions!

Back
Top Bottom