Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I am not really enthused about getting a job after military retirement!!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not really enthused about getting a job after military retirement!!

Here I am......

Almost 40 years old....getting ready to retire from the Navy with about 20 1/2 years.

I am going thru RETAP (Retirement Transition Assistance Program) this week and learning about interviews/resumes, etc....

Why am I just not enthused about working after 20 years of Navy life?

Is there a difference between working and a job? I would rather just find a "job" at a golf course or "work" around sports.

Heck, I am looking forward to finishing up my last 6 semester hours and knocking out my Bachelor's and maybe working on a Master's in Sports Management.

Is it okay to just take some time off from working and go back to school?
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sure, why not? Assuming you are financially able to do so, its not a bad idea to take some time for yourself to explore what you want your new life to be.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
I am going thru RETAP (Retirement Transition Assistance Program) this week and learning about interviews/resumes, etc....
Sorry, but I find that acronym humorous. Well, we've been tapping you all these years, now we're gonna re-tap ya before we let ya go!

I retired from a local government job and we used to joke about being ruined for "real" work.

If your financial situation gives you the ability to ease into something else, rather than just jump straight into another job, I would think that would be a great option. I see a lot of retired guys who are working as marshals or starters at golf courses, or umps and referees in high school sports. One of my former co-workers, who is also retired, didn't need to go back to work, but he worked a few hours a week at a nearby golf course just for the free golf and the discount he got in the pro shop. They were begging him to come work full time but that didn't interest him at all.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sure, why not? Assuming you are financially able to do so, its not a bad idea to take some time for yourself to explore what you want your new life to be.
I agree. Travel, play golf, do whatever you want for a period of time. A masters in sports management sounds like fun. Find a 2nd career you will enjoy.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #5

I think it is ok to do whatever takes your fancy as long as you are able to support yourself financially. Don't fall into the trap of following everyone else's expectations that you must get another job and flog yourself until you are 65.

Life can be too short, so do what makes you happy, follow your dreams and learn to live with what you already have if that means you can stay off the hampster wheel.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, if RETAP's final motivational speaker won't make you want to rush out and get a job, any job, then you're truly ruined for the working world. Retire before it's too late.

Heck, the speaker at our TAP made ME hyperventilate to get a job, and eight years later spouse and I are still joking about him. But I felt better after a nap.

Quote:
Dude, you're burned out & frustrated and you've heard that the civilian world can be even worse than midwatches or weekend inport duty.

You also have enough financial independence that you're not worried about your survival, and thus you have an even lower tolerance for civilian BS than for military Mickey Mouse.

Quote:
Is there a difference between working and a job? I would rather just find a "job" at a golf course or "work" around sports.
Remember the early Navy days of "Golly gee, all this and a paycheck too"? That's what you're looking for in a civilian avocation. You may find it or you may not. The trick is to keep an open mind and keep trying different things. If the golf course and sports are what you want to do then you should put them at the top of your list and give them a year or two just to make sure you've thoroughly checked them out.

Quote:
Heck, I am looking forward to finishing up my last 6 semester hours and knocking out my Bachelor's and maybe working on a Master's in Sports Management.
A shipmate got his MBA specializing in golf resort management. Of course the thesis research was agonizing!

Quote:
Yes, I've been doing that for over six years. The first part, anyway-- maybe someday I'll feel like sitting in a classroom again.

Look at it this way-- for at least the last 20 years you've been pretty much told how to run your life. Now you not only have a chance to change the rules, but you can even throw the rule book away. Do what you want to do before you lock yourself up in a bunch of new commitments.

To be fair to employers as well as yourself, think about whether you really want to take on the obligation of working-- not just the golfing & sports parts, but the BS parts of commuting, workplace attire, meetings, funding problems, bosses, and performance reviews.

I don't know if you've encountered the job offers yet, but many employers & contacts wait until you're 30 days from availability. You may not be getting much interest now, let alone interviews, but the unsolicited offers will start coming out of the woodwork a few weeks before the date on your retirement announcements. And if none of them trip your trigger, there may be another slew of offers after the six-month ethics period has expired.

So, if you find a job that piques your interest without making you frustrated at its bureaucracy, give it a try. Just don't feel pressured to give in to the first one you find. The DoD is paying you the pension so that you can avoid working, and you might want to try honoring their faith in your ability to entertain yourself...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #7

I'm stealing this line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The DoD is paying you the pension so that you can avoid working, and you might want to try honoring their faith in your ability to entertain yourself...
It'll require just a slight modification, but I see much future utilization.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

totally depend on your financial situation. For me, health care first then food then shelter. Health care is probably the number ONE reason why people kept on working and working and working. I know a ton of people in that situation. If you got that part cover, you're golden. Food and shelter can almost be anything you want from peanut butter sandwich to red lobster or from one bedroom apt to mc masion. you're in the best situation for a 40 yrs old and you deserve it. good luck

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

After a week of listening to people talk about resumes, interviews, etc..etc... I know now that going out and finding a job just to work isn't for me!

I will have health care for $230/yr, dental care at a fraction, discounted golf ($10 rounds), exchange/commissary privileges for life......

I have max'd out my IRA for the year ($5K) and will be doing the same for the next 6 months of my Active Duty time with my TSP ($15.5K).

I am just gonna chill for awhile and see what the future holds. I can afford to be selective in my future as I have $40K in educational benefits left and a pension of $1900/mo (before taxes) coming in.

I am burned out from military life, and I know I am not ready to deal with the civilian crap. From what I have heard from many, it is worse than the military and that says ALOT!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After a week of listening to people talk about resumes, interviews, etc..etc... I know now that going out and finding a job just to work isn't for me!
I am just gonna chill for awhile and see what the future holds.
Congratulations! Your ER decoder ring and secret-handshake DVD will be in the mail tomorrow...

Now you're going to have to decide how you feel about boring classroom presentations and homework.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #11

Quote:
And another one sees the light, walks toward the light, and discovers all that brightness is coming from a huge party!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations! Your ER decoder ring and secret-handshake DVD will be in the mail tomorrow...

Now you're going to have to decide how you feel about boring classroom presentations and homework.
YIPPPEEEEE!!!

Who needs a shadowbox when I can have one of those

Seriously, RETAP was more of a learning experience listening to many in the class worrying about finding a job soon, so they can pay for their expensive cars, expensive houses, expensive kids, etc...

I was amazed and glad I don't fall in that!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I will have health care for $230/yr, dental care at a fraction, discounted golf ($10 rounds), exchange/commissary privileges for life......

I have max'd out my IRA for the year ($5K) and will be doing the same for the next 6 months of my Active Duty time with my TSP ($15.5K).

I am just gonna chill for awhile and see what the future holds. I can afford to be selective in my future as I have $40K in educational benefits left and a pension of $1900/mo (before taxes) coming in.

I am burned out from military life, and I know I am not ready to deal with the civilian crap. From what I have heard from many, it is worse than the military and that says ALOT!

Congratulations on retirement,

I was in the same mode when I retired from the military at 39 five years ago (21 years in the infantry). I managed to get half way through a degree before I retired and used my military retirement benefits to fund the rest. I bridged the gap by taking part time university courses for 21/2 years. The break was welcome and the part time curriculum gave me lots of time for myself and focus to bridge the gap to civilian life.

I would recommend you use any benefits available to give you an edge on the street. Just take a semester or two of part time studies.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

Boxkicker,
I feel the exact same way that you do, I am an E7 with 21 years in. I 'm over in Iraq for the next 8 months but plan on dropping my papers as soon as I get back.
I read about all these rich people stuggling on $80k a year and frankly I don't know what I would do with that much money.
I will have no mortgage or any other dept by the time I retire and plan on living on the approx $24k pension alone.
The thought of one more idiot telling me what to do is unbearable to me,
if I have to make one more powerpoint presentation (Dumbed down so that a COL can understand it) I think I will go homicidal!
Let me know how things are going for you as I am really interested to see how these "civilians" do things.
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
The thought of one more idiot telling me what to do is unbearable to me,
if I have to make one more powerpoint presentation (Dumbed down so that a COL can understand it) I think I will go homicidal!
Let me know how things are going for you as I am really interested to see how these "civilians" do things.
I don't think you'll have any trouble making the transition from military to civilian. OTOH I've never had a "real" job, but I don't think that either of you are cut out for a Fortune 500 ladder climb...

Got your PowerPoint Ranger badge yet?

Got my second career and loving it!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

Got my second career and loving it!

Boxkicker- Just my $.02: I love my new job. Yeah, I took a month and didn't shave and slept until noon. Wife never said a word. We went on a great cruise (the good kind!) and then I started looking for a job. I thought I had a job all lined up and it fell thru. Then the great defense contractor in the sky smiled on me. I work in the same program I did in the Navy. Strategic Weapons. They pay me a ridiculous amount of money to have me tell highly educated engineers they can't put a 28" round item in a 26" round hole. I work 40 hours a week. Thats only 60 less hours a week than I was working for the Navy. I know you guys can relate. This building is not going on deployment or WESTPAC. The people here are truly dedicated to trying to help sailors and soldiers. But hey- I wish you luck. Working at a golf course sounds great as well. Use up that GI bill!!
Michael Dirubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't think you'll have any trouble making the transition from military to civilian. OTOH I've never had a "real" job, but I don't think that either of you are cut out for a Fortune 500 ladder climb...

Got your PowerPoint Ranger badge yet?

I had grand plans of stepping up the ladder after military retirement. Reality hit home fast. After using the discipline gained from the military to gain a business degree with distinction I hit the wall. My drive declined and my tolerance for working long hours and putting up with bull%&* declined.

I lucked out and my former employer offered me decent job where I work on my own organizing military training resources.

The degree wasn't a waste as my major was in Finance so I can use it in my personal life. I loved the job but 21 years in the military sucks the bone marrow out of a person.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:31 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Here I am......

Almost 40 years old....getting ready to retire from the Navy with about 20 1/2 years.

Funny you say that. I feel the same way 22+ yrs Army. I was recently invited to a resume/interview seminar/class and declined. I did see a golf starter job at MacDill AFB recently - that's my kind of job - pays probably minimum, but you get to ride in a cart outdoors, chit chat w/ hackers and ask them about their games. Probably won't be vacant when I get out, but I'll look that way June 2009. It's nice to have $$$ in a pension to fall back on, isn't it?
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

So far...so good!!!

I have been on terminal leave now for a month...and it is nice not having to worry about what time I get up, etc...

I just got my haircut last week for the first time in 6 weeks and my goatee is looking good!!!

I took a trip to Orlando (Walt Disney World) for The Golf Channel Amateur Tour National Championship last month and I finished 10th in my flight (out of 96 competitors). I played great my 1st round shooting an 81 and was in 17th place. 2nd round I was off my game and shot 94 and fell back to 48th. Third Round was on the Magnolia Golf Course, where they played the final 2 rounds this weekend on the PGA tour. With only 20 (plus ties) making the cut for the next and final day, I figured I was out of it, so I just played loose. I shot the best round of the flight with an 83 and I WAS THE CUT!!! So in the finals (again on the Magnolia course) I shot an 85 and moved into 10th place!

After I moved to New Mexico, I have just been relaxing and getting settled in a new rental house. This past weekend I went to an 8th grade girls basketball tournament and got the itch to see about coaching sports. I am already set up to umpire/referee sports, so I might see what else I can do and still enjoy doing it.

With $45K+ of unused GI Bill benefits, and only 6 semester hours left for a Bachelors, I am still focusing on a Master's in Sports Management with either a concentration in Coaching or Sports Administration!

I am gonna love this life...being retired military and enjoying getting paid for all the years of hard work and traveling, long hours, watches, duty, dodging rocket attacks in Afghanistan AND ALL THE OTHER BS, etc....
Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Gosh, BK, you're gonna have to stop holding it all in and let us know how you really feel about ER!

Sounds like you'll make you've made the transition just fine...

Tags
military