Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioIndy View Post
I'm not sure what is meant by "registering" or getting a "2 comma button"?
$1,000,000.00 has two commas and a period, unless you are European. Then it has two periods and one comma.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
$1,000,000.00 has two commas and a period, unless you are European. Then it has two periods and one comma.
And you have to register with the IRS to be in the Millionaire's Club. It gets you a special seat at the auditor's table.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP, nicely done!

I had to drag out a long lost spreadsheet to see at what age I hit that magic number...42. [Hey, I've heard somewhat that number as being important? ]. So wow, you beat me by 9 years - and I thought I was a good saver/LBYM.

As others mentioned, sometimes these numbers get "revisited", so don't freak out if it happens. In my case, the magic number was hit in January 2000...right before the dot com peak! In the following two years I went back and forth on that number twelve times before finally staying above (hopefully forever) in late 2001.

If I had to guess (without looking it up), I would have thought it was well before then, because even before then I thought I was well off (and compared to most in the world and USA in terms of savings and wealth I was).

As others have also mentioned, now you (hopefully) will get the benefit of your wealth working for you to make the next milestone (whatever that is) easier to acheive.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:15 PM   #44

Impressed! Good job!
Old 12-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! You should enjoy and savor this achievement. I where I got to a point that money in the bank gave me more satisfaction than the material things it could buy. Thatís when I saw financial independence as achievable. The best news is I think most would say the first million is the hardest!! The compounding, snowball is real! Nothing better than your money working for you.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, you made it long before we did. Keep it up, you'll really enjoy today's sacrifices in the future.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I think many of us here just think in terms of "USD's" (certainly not all) But, everytime I see a thread like this I think back to the time I spent in Italy back in the late 90's.... When I first got there I converted $1000 usd to Italian Lire... Instant millionaire.

It's funny to me but 20+ years later, I still remember buying a Coke at the hotel when I first arrived... I think I used a 10,000 Lire note to pay for it.

I typically kept some foreign notes and coins from my travels as souvenirs. I'll need to check if I still have any Lire...
Old 12-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I think many of us here just think in terms of "USD's" (certainly not all) But, everytime I see a thread like this I think back to the time I spent in Italy back in the late 90's.... When I first got there I converted $1000 usd to Italian Lire... Instant millionaire.

It's funny to me but 20+ years later, I still remember buying a Coke at the hotel when I first arrived... I think I used a 10,000 Lire note to pay for it.

I typically kept some foreign notes and coins from my travels as souvenirs. I'll need to check if I still have any Lire...
I remember in 1994, I think, my Milan business trip hotel bill being over a million Lira! That was something.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #49

Congrats! I am sure your family is enormously proud of your drive and accomplishments and grateful for your help.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I remember in 1994, I think, my Milan business trip hotel bill being over a million Lira! That was something.
Yes the numbers shocked me too whenever I'd pay for something but still, good memories. I just checked and I actually did keep a 10,000 and 1,000 Lire note... Virtually worthless now but nice souvenirs.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #51

That's impressive but what's your goal? Did you deprive yourself significantly for a decade so you could retire by 35 or do you plan to work for a long time yet? If you are not planning to retire soon then enjoy life a little.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations! You have me beat by seven years.

Lighten up a bit - let compounding do its magic while not going completely overboard. You will see that million multiply with time.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

WOW!! Congratulations!!
jojo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #54

That is marvelous. A tremendous achievement. You probably beat me to that milestone by 12-15 years. I was too busy working and taking care of ailing parents and raising a family to keep track that closely.

I went back and read your first post, about working to live and not living to work. That has been my attitude my entire life. I hope you find a partner with the same goals, and enjoy what should be an adventurous life together. Many people find their life partners after they've matured a bit, anyway.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #55

Bravo!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
That's impressive but what's your goal? Did you deprive yourself significantly for a decade so you could retire by 35 or do you plan to work for a long time yet? If you are not planning to retire soon then enjoy life a little.
Excellent post, IMO... I never really planned to retire early myself, it just worked out that way... But I did live "a little" along the way although I did try and save where I could. Life is short....
Old 12-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Excellent post, IMO... I never really planned to retire early myself, it just worked out that way... But I did live "a little" along the way although I did try and save where I could. Life is short....

I couldn't wait to retire! My wife started a side business that turned out to be great for our finances, but we were open 10 hours a day 7 days a week. Out of the 18 years, we were only closed Christmas and few days for hurricanes, and my daughters wedding. Yes, one of us could take some time off during some parts of the day, but I got tired of it. About a year before we closed (I was 61), I had cut back to 1 day a week trying to get my wife to retire, but thankfully a hurricane destroyed the business and we concentrated on getting the house back in shape and closed the business. Funny how things work out.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Very impressive, Congratulations! Enjoy the journey.
SloHan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioIndy View Post
I would have loved to have met a significant other early on so that this could be something that we build together, but I was not that lucky.
For whatever it's worth, my 20s sucked - I had absolutely no fun. I didn't meet my SO (now my wife) until I was 34. Almost 20 years later, we've amassed a relatively hefty nest egg together, and have enjoyed the fruits of our labor together. Don't regret what was or what could have been. Look forward to the rest of your life.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #60

Congratulations. Now, like a lot of people have said...go out and have some fun. You don't necessarily need to spend a bunch of money to have some fun, but even if you spend a few hundred on something, so what? Life is more than money.
Time _ money.gif
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
millionaire, success