I have an interview...

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
:D I look like a Banana Republic ad right now, which is something I'm not comfortable with. I hate nylons (I always put them on crooked) and blouses that I have to strategically place pins into to keep my wares from falling out. You men are so lucky.

Wish me luck gang!

cube_rat said:
:D I look like a Banana Republic ad right now, which is something I'm not comfortable with. I hate nylons (I always put them on crooked) and blouses that I have to strategically place pins into to keep my wares from falling out. You men are so lucky.

Wish me luck gang!

We want a picture! Minus the pins! :D

Good luck! Knock 'em dead. Take no less than 120k with options and profit sharing...and a company car!

cube_rat said:
:D  I look like a Banana Republic ad right now, which is something I'm not comfortable with. 

Sounds hot though! :eek: :D

I put suits and ties right up there with root canal. Good luck! Remember to interview them right back..

I remember once recruiting a programmer.  He asked me if he should wear shoes to the interview... :confused:  Further probing disclosed that on one occasion he had been rejected by a programming group because he wore shoes.

I suggested that he wear footwear, assuring him that he would be really 'in' (all other things equal) if he could come up with vintage or ratty ones mfg by the potential employer.   ;) 

There was once a heavy discussion among Directors just how short short-shorts could be on casual Friday, but I assure you such apparel (even if the company brand) would not have been OK during an interview!  ::) 

My advice is to dress neatly and modestly appropriate for the position to which you aspire.  Good luck, and don't get down on yourself if you aren't selected.  Just consider it a practice interview for the job you really want.

Laurence said:
Here, here! We should be reviewing a picture to ensure your outfit's suitability! :D

Well, the blouse held up. :LOL:

The interview went very well. I would love to work there, BUT, the pay would be a little more than my base salary. Which is okay, because my current employer stopped their stock option distributions. In addition, my current employer is not doing so well business wise which means we'll get little or no bonus next year. Both stock options and bonus put me over 115K last year. The upside to this other employer is the retirement is awesome. They contribute 5% of your salary into a 403b plan PLUS they match 4% of the first 4% you contribute. That's 9% free tax deferred money!!

115k, wow, in my dreams!

Remember, that included stock options that may not be as valuable now as when first rewarded (and taxes paid on same).  I have heard of employees owning more taxes on options than they are worth.  Also, she is in a high cost area.  Lots of employers are paying modest base pay with a significant % "at risk". 

A 403b plan is a retirement plan for University, civil government, and not-for-profit employers - not likely to include bonuses.  However, they may offer a more humane workplace and opportunities for professional development programs.

Thinking good thoughts...

Thanks, Brat. It is a very prestigious university. One of the top 3 in the country. I really love the atmosphere----> Geeks Galore! Right up my alley :D

Laurence - >115k to <120k feels like average in San Francisco, especially with a 390K mortgage. :p I also have ~12 years on you (assuming you're 31). You haven't hit your peak earning power yet.

Ah, yes, SF, I visit it often, love the city, my SD house equity would get me a studio or a condo in a shady neighborhood, methinks. We have friends who earn a combined 100k in S.F. and live with his parents, trying to save enough to buy something, anything! 43 years old eh? Just hitting full blossom peak earnings? Where is that interview suit picture again? :D

Laurence said:
Where is that interview suit picture again?  :D

I'm glad someone else remembered this very important detail too :)

Laurence said:
Do you think she's going to sue us, Marshac?  Cyber-Harassment?  :eek:  ;)

We should ask Martha to be our defence lawyer before cube_rat has a chance to get to her first!

You'd better watch out, I'll get Martha to cap your butts. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just relax gang, Cube_rat hasn't nailed this opportunity yet, however, just to make the short list for that employer is an accomplishment.

If this works out she will be working near my baby and will be in the center of high-tec action. 

Just to give you folks a picture of housing costs in her area.. the home next to my daughter sold recently for ~$850T, built in the early 70's, two bedroom and, frankly, not attractive. One of those designs hubby and I didn't give a glance when we were young an poor.

Now if Cube_rat can get "faculty" status housing options could open up for her! 

Think positive thoughts everyone!!

Brat said:
Just to give you folks a picture of housing costs in her area.. the home next to my daughter sold recently for ~$850T,

Good lord, you know there's a bubble when houses go for 100X the US GDP

Marshac said:
Good lord, you know there's a bubble when houses go for 100X the US GDP

But your qualified Lending Agent has several attractive lending vehicles to help you get into this house of your dreams! :LOL:

Laurence said:
But your qualified Lending Agent has several attractive lending vehicles to help you get into this house of your dreams!  :LOL:

Ooooh! Option ARMs! The cause of the coming real estate implosion! You have to laugh at an industry (mortgage lending) that is so desparate to keep their rolling boom going that they literally create a product that is destined to result in tragedy.

Indeed, there is bubble like you would not believe in the SF Bay Area. Things are slowing down. Houses are staying on the market longer. Prices are being cut in certain areas. It's a matter of time before a correction sets in.

Speaking of ARMS. I had one the first year. I just re-fi'd to a seven year fixed. Just to give you an idea of my personal ARM situation: In June 2004, my I/O payment was $1375.00. In July 2005, it was $1750.00. I don't know how others with 1mil dollar ARMS are coping right now. Yes, I said 1 million. My best friend is mortgage broker and routinely does I/O for 1mil + :eek:

brewer12345 said:
... that is so desparate to keep their rolling boom going that they literally create a product that is destined to result in tragedy.
One word: Enron.

Back
Top Bottom