Join Early Retirement Today

I passed my CISSP
Old 02-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

I passed my CISSP

Glad that's over! Just got word I passed my CISSP test, that's "Certified Informamation Systems Security Professional". :P

It's funny, as certs in the IT world come in and out of favor, each generation learns from the past. (ISC)2 does everything it can to keep people from being able to just cram or go to a boot camp to learn what they need to know to pass. People saw how worthless the MCSE became with all the paper tigers running around. I had no clue how I did on the test when I walked out, 250 of the most obtuse, obscure, ambiguous questions I had ever seen!

Those of you in IT, what has been your experience with certs, and how valuable do you think they really are?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I passed my CISSP
Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Those of you in IT, what has been your experience with certs, and how valuable do you think they really are?
How valuable does your employer think they are? Do you get a raise for this?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Zero point zero.

I've seen some jobs that required them as an entry requirement, but I've never seen anyone get a raise or be able to get a higher salary because they held a technical certification.

My favorite is when an old company instituted a certification program. I was considered the leading expert in the product in the company, outside of engineering. I failed the test three times. Nobody else passed either. One of those tests where they try to get tricky and make many answers right but one more right than others. Unless the guy writing the test has 10 years of experience and the guy taking it has 20 and knows stuff that makes one of the less right answers a little bit more right...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
How valuable does your employer think they are?* Do you get a raise for this?
I took this test for one reason only, my bosses told me to. They are making excited sounds today about the good news, but that and 3 bucks gets you a cup of coffee. Our "customer" wanted more CISSPs to work on the project, and things tend to roll downhill. I'm the second at my work, and the first got a 20% raise last year, allegedly in part due to getting this cert. We'll see

Next I'm going to get the company sponsered graduate certificate in engineering down at UCSD. That will help me decide whether to get my Master's (i.e., do I have the stick-toitness to do it right now).

At least they paid for the test.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I took this test for one reason only, my bosses told me to.
Thanx for the smile !* *Once again I am reminded why I fired ... no more measuring up to someone elses useless expectations.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
In my job most of them less usefull than toilet paper.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
In my job most of them less usefull than toilet paper.
Copy editor?
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I think it depends on the cert. A+ and N+ are jokes, although some still hold the MCSE in high regards.

CISSP is still a a respected certification to have IMO- congrats!
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Marshac! It's a well known debate in the IT world re:certs. I think the key is to be doing the job already, and the cert can help round out your credentials, and act as a filter when applying to new jobs (i.e., a lot of HR people do key word searches on cert acronyms). The rub comes when a low level tech thinks he's going to get the CIO job after getting a cert, a bit of a disconnect there. :

CFB, what was the name of that cert you had trouble with?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have a string of Certs. after my name for my profession that have no real meaning for me other than they were required of me in my previous employment. *They are not the same as your IT certs. but required testing and experience levels to attain them. *I find them of little use currently. *In my previous job they were there to impress external auditors and to assure them we knew what was required (think ISO). *

I can see some value in them for assurance of at least a basic operating level of knowledge in a very specific job or area. *I used to require all my auditor to be certified in several areas for credibility with outside companies we assessed and with internal managment to provide adequate wages for them. *

My certs. are now lapsing and I have the joy of not needed to renew them. *
Old 02-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #11

Congratulations Laurence! - I have no idea what it is, even though I spent 35 years in the Software Industry! - But Congratulations anyway!

I think IT or IS or DP or whatever has been struggling with certifications ever since 1970. They were trying to strive for something like a CPA, but the technology changes so fast the certifications end up obsolete in about 10 years.

Does anyone even get a CDP anymore? - Certified Data Processor?

A better question here might be has anyone ever heard of a CDP?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

"Badges?...........We don't need no stinking badges!

Congrats Laurence.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:53 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
A better question here might be has anyone ever heard of a CDP?
I checked google and it said "Here are the results of your search, Grandpa..."

Actually is still one school offering CDP's...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Actually is still one school offering CDP's...
I bet there are schools teaching suckers desperate students how to be bank tellers & meter readers, too...

I'm pretty sure that all the "customer service" schools have been sent to Mumbai.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #15

Does anyone even get a CDP anymore? - Certified Data Processor?

That was the first certification I refused to obtain . . . followed by 3Com's, and Novell's and Microsoft's. The company would pay for all of them. We had a good number of what we called "paper CNEs" . . . they had the certificate, but couldn't do even rudimentary tasks. Big waste of time and money.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #16

CDP - When I worked for a big IT shop at one of the Baby Bells back in the 1990's, they were really hot to have as many people as possible get a CDP. But it seemed like most other employers didn't have the foggiest idea what that was. I did pass it (it was grueling), and kept it up for a few years before I realized that it was not really worth anything.

I think they changed the names along the way too. I thought it stood for "Certified Data Professional".

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote